(Suggestion) Guards with Personalities

(previously 'DEVELOPER') Private forum for registered community members. To register, please visit www.prison-architect.com/register.

Moderator: NBJeff

yaguzi
level0

(Suggestion) Guards with Personalities

Postby yaguzi » Sun Aug 30, 2015 1:06 pm

Guards should have personalities and a progress meter. Like a lot of prison guards are horrible, and not everyone says what you tell them. They abuse prisoners, steal contraband from them for their personal use (valuables, drugs, or personal belongings which aren't contraband at all) and do other sorts of bad stuff like slacking off and not doing their job properly. There should be a guard meter, which shows which guards are doing their job good and behaving prisoners like they should be, and which aren't. Maybe CI's could deal with that too. Like when you recruit an informant, they will show prisoners' contrabands, and also guards' contrabands and how they behave to prisoners. An addition to that; normal prisoners who aren't CI's should go the the psychologist's office and complain about the abusive guards. And if a guard learns about a prisoner complaining about them, that prisoner will become a snitch for the guards. In that case, you should put him to a PC area and only put your best and most trusted guards to protect those guys. A guard can be punished for their bad behavior or fired if necessary. If they commit too much crimes, they should go to a court, and maybe come to your prison as an ex law enforcement or maybe an ex-guard which should be the prisoner which others most want to kill! (because he abused them and did all kinds of bad things)
sonic_m
level1
level1

Re: (Suggestion) Guards with Personalities

Postby sonic_m » Sun Aug 30, 2015 11:48 pm

I think at some point the devs mentioned, that there will be no such system.

IMO, such a system is not really necessary: It's no simulation and I, personally, don't think I feel like having an eye on my guards, like they were the bad guys.
yaguzi
level0

Postby yaguzi » Tue Sep 01, 2015 11:31 am

Well, this happens IRL, and the game needs more action. It'd be fun.
Taxen2
level1
level1

Postby Taxen2 » Tue Sep 01, 2015 12:04 pm

Too much micromanagement for me if they added that stuff to do with guard corruption ect. like I have posted elsewhere. I think the current system is fine except maybe a little bit of work on how staff come into prisons if the devs aren't happy with instantly spawning them in (I'm fine with it).
Robbedem
level2
level2

Postby Robbedem » Tue Sep 01, 2015 2:41 pm

I agree with Taxen2.
Having traits for guards would cause to much micromanagement. I agree with having guards arrive via car when hired to prevent guard spamming at riots. I also wouldn't mind guards having some needs like bladder/bowel, food, sleep to replace the tired system. Although having guards eat and use a toilet in the staff room would be fine too.
Jailer
level2
level2

Postby Jailer » Wed Sep 02, 2015 9:51 am

Robbedem wrote:I agree with Taxen2.
Having traits for guards would cause to much micromanagement. I agree with having guards arrive via car when hired to prevent guard spamming at riots. I also wouldn't mind guards having some needs like bladder/bowel, food, sleep to replace the tired system. Although having guards eat and use a toilet in the staff room would be fine too.

Agree -
no guards traits - IMO they should remain anonymous.
Guards/staff should arrive by car or bus or walk (walk to prevent staff not arriving when clogged traffic on road)
Staff toilets/food would be ok, but should be balanced; they should then only leave for toilet/food when other guard relieves them (no pun intended).
yaguzi
level0

Postby yaguzi » Mon Sep 07, 2015 1:17 pm

Yeah. It could be too much micromanagement.
ragerancher
level0

Postby ragerancher » Wed Sep 09, 2015 1:21 am

In a broader sense, I think some sort of corruption mechanic would be a nice optional extra. Guards can sneak contraband in for prisoners, turn a blind eye if they find something in searches, take money from prisoners or gangs to do certain things for them etc.
Jailer
level2
level2

Postby Jailer » Thu Sep 17, 2015 10:19 am

It's prison architect, not HR architect.
Kilyle
level1
level1

Postby Kilyle » Sat Oct 24, 2015 4:47 am

ragerancher wrote:In a broader sense, I think some sort of corruption mechanic would be a nice optional extra. Guards can sneak contraband in for prisoners, turn a blind eye if they find something in searches, take money from prisoners or gangs to do certain things for them etc.

IMO, this would be fun for some players, and I'd like to toy around with it, but you should be able to indicate whether this is part of your map/playthrough or not. Because the only way I could see it working is if the Warden (you) is completely unaware of which guards are doing their jobs honorably and which aren't. Guards would be smuggling, would be sneaking off to places to beat up prisoners they don't like, etc., but it can't be easy to spot these things or you know which guards are corrupt too easily.

I'm not really sure how this would work, but I'd like to see more ideas about it.
REDDQ
level1
level1

Postby REDDQ » Tue Oct 27, 2015 12:56 am

Imho guards should at least get experience and/or have some training programs.

Right now you barely care that you lost a guard. In comparison to whole hard coded fuzz about death penalty it looks really ridiculous.

Guards could get better at finding tunnels, could negotiate surrender and maybe, just maybe, not die from the first hit by some psycho. Possibilities.

And Prison Architect IS simulation, what on earth you though you are doing in this game :lol: Also too much micro in sim game, mah gowd, strange times are upon us.
aubergine18
level2
level2

Postby aubergine18 » Tue Oct 27, 2015 4:15 am

IMO all entities should have all properties, at least then there will be consistent modding api. Mods can then try out different things with staff personality and needs, etc.

For example, what's point of having drinks machine in staff room if staff never use it? This might not be something desirable in base game, but it would be nice if modders could at least play around with these things.

As it stands the API is horribly nerfed and very inconsistent between different entity types.
xander
level5
level5

Postby xander » Tue Oct 27, 2015 3:54 pm

REDDQ wrote:Right now you barely care that you lost a guard.

Exactly. We aren't meant to care about the guards---they are machinery that keeps the prison running. It is the prisoners that are important. You may not agree with that point of view, but it seems to be the narrative that Introversion are interested in.

xander
dareddevil7
level1
level1

Postby dareddevil7 » Tue Oct 27, 2015 5:07 pm

xander wrote:
REDDQ wrote:Right now you barely care that you lost a guard.

Exactly. We aren't meant to care about the guards---they are machinery that keeps the prison running. It is the prisoners that are important. You may not agree with that point of view, but it seems to be the narrative that Introversion are interested in.

xander

Even though there is no character to the guards I still get attached to them
aubergine18
level2
level2

Postby aubergine18 » Tue Oct 27, 2015 6:16 pm

The game should be renamed "Prisoner Architect" if we're only interested in the prisoners. However, it isn't named that. I'm interested in all aspects of the prison, including the prison staff.

Return to “Community Members”