Aliens!?!?! Or Nah?

General discussion about Defcon

Moderator: Defcon moderators

DTNC Vicious
Site Admin

Aliens!?!?! Or Nah?

Postby DTNC Vicious » Fri Oct 16, 2015 7:34 am

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/world ... 93886.html

Perhaps a Dyson sphere??? Or a dust cloud with debris from a planet collision?? Or??

What's everyone's thoughts?
Mr.Megadeath
level2
level2

Re: Aliens!?!?! Or Nah?

Postby Mr.Megadeath » Fri Oct 16, 2015 3:07 pm

First contact be like
Laika
Site Admin

Postby Laika » Fri Oct 16, 2015 3:11 pm

ayy
UNITEDAIR
level2
level2

Postby UNITEDAIR » Fri Oct 16, 2015 3:58 pm

imao

I would bet on a collision of some sort as unlikely that may be.
Colytic
Site Admin

Postby Colytic » Fri Oct 16, 2015 4:46 pm

Mr Wright wrote:Aliens should always be the very last hypothesis you consider

I disagree.
UNITEDAIR
level2
level2

Postby UNITEDAIR » Fri Oct 16, 2015 4:50 pm

Colytic wrote:

I disagree.

How so?
Laika
Site Admin

Postby Laika » Fri Oct 16, 2015 4:51 pm

I agree with the idea space is so huge, probability of meeting alien life anytime soon is quite low.
DTNC Vicious
Site Admin

Postby DTNC Vicious » Fri Oct 16, 2015 5:30 pm

I enjoyed this guys comment " That what is being observed results from an alien civilisation's mega-structures , though highly improbable, is still plausible. Were this to be the case, what has been observed is the result of a civilisation advancing to Type 2 status on the 'Kardashev Scale', whereby it has managed to harness and control the energy of its home star. Humankind still has a long way to go before it fully harnesses its home planet, to realise Type 1 status. Given all the forces for and against human advancement, it would probably take humanity around another 1000 years from today to reach Type 2 status, with the greatest risks being encountered as some strive for Type 1 status, whilst others selfishly ravage the planet for their short term interests. Given also that the observed planet is roughly 1,500 light years away, were this civilisation to exist, it would currently be at least 2,500 years ahead of us in its technological (and social) advancements. Finally, given that such advancements tend to be exponential, it would presumably, by now, be looking to attain Type 3 status, which is control of its home galaxy, and have the technology for multi-generational travel at a significant proportion of light-speed. This raises serious existential issues. Before skimming over these, we have to gauge the probability of this alien civilisation's existence. Most civilians are happy to fly, even though they know that accidents happen, because they are comfortable with odds of anything bad happening at, broadly, less than one in a million. However, a reasonable probability to apply here is somewhere between one in a thousand to ten-thousand. For most people to fly at these odds, they would want to ensure both what they could to improve the odds and also to minimise the downside were anything to go wrong. Well, we now have to do the same with regard to these observations. If THEY do exist there is a very high probability we are already being observed by a civilisation MUCH smarter than us. They or their hidden emissaries may already be here. The last thing we want to do is to start beaming signals to prospective other civilisations, as this smacks of belligerence, and possibly a latent threat. Maybe we have been left alone because they have not quite reached us yet, or because they conclude we are sufficiently negligent and self destructive as to be unlikely to reach Type 1, let alone type 2 status. Maybe also, a civilisation never stops being a threat to itself, even as it advances beyond type 1 and than 2 status, because in every such populace, even the greatest presumed geniuses (real or artificial) are sometimes capable of doing the stupidest things."
UNITEDAIR
level2
level2

Postby UNITEDAIR » Fri Oct 16, 2015 5:48 pm

Those are some far reaching speculative conclusions there Vic.
I find it interesting that every opinion about what aliens may or may not do to us is really just humans thinking about what they would do to themselves or if we found someone. There are really no 3rd party opinions on humanity as a whole, just humanity's opinion on itself. The whole 'stop beaming signals into space because it's belligerent' is beyond retarded though. As well as the statement of any population does stupid things.
It was most likely debris, but I have hopes.
Colytic
Site Admin

Postby Colytic » Mon Oct 19, 2015 11:54 am

UNITEDAIR wrote:
Colytic wrote:

I disagree.

How so?

I was just trying to be funny. Anyway, interesting comment you shared Vic. I like thought experiments like those!
nuclear cocaine
level4
level4

Postby nuclear cocaine » Sun Oct 25, 2015 9:08 am

Well I have read about the equation that proves theirs more than just aliens in the multiverse..I'ts believed by mainstream science that in our galaxy their are more stars than their are grains of sand on the planet. Also it is believed that their are more galaxies with that many stars than their are grains of sand on the planet. The name of the equation used to figure out how many stars their are is called a googleplex, It is essentially a different way of computing infinity. So I ask you this? If theirs an unlimited amount of chances that lets go as far as to say this very scenario is happening over and over again, is it? What if I told you that according to the math that mainstream science has come up with supports the idea that with an unlimited amount of chances that their is life somewhere else theirs an unlimited amount of chances that anything you can think of is happening. So if science is correct than life itself is as relative as time and any scenario including this very reply to this post is happening an unlimited amount of times over and over again .... Mind boggle
SLO - 101
level1
level1

Postby SLO - 101 » Sun Oct 25, 2015 11:55 am

Its only a matter of time we make contact. It can be tomorrow or 1000 years from now. We maby even made contact alredy but the goverment is keepnig it a secrate. The universe sohuld be infinately large so that means there haves to be other inteligent life somewhere.
DTNC Vicious
Site Admin

Postby DTNC Vicious » Sun Oct 25, 2015 8:17 pm

agreed.
UNITEDAIR
level2
level2

Postby UNITEDAIR » Mon Oct 26, 2015 3:30 am

Cocaine ... The equation is called Drakes equation for probability of life, not a googolplex. A googolplex is just a big number, namely: 10^(10^100).
By multiverse you mean universe, as the multiverse is still just hypothetical mathematics and the universe is, as we know it, all that has, is, or ever will exist.
There is not more stars in the galaxy (10^11) than grains of sand on earth (10^18). The universe? Yes, more stars than grains. But not the galaxy.
Infinity doesn't mean all inclusive. It doesn't mean all possibilities could happen. There are an infinite amount of numbers between 1 and 2 and non of them are 3.
The universe could be infinite in size, but since it is expanding, there is a boundary pass which the universe is expanding faster than the speed of light.
Since things pass this boundary cannot interact with us, it is the exact same as it not existing. That boundary is 45 billion light years away. Which, I agree, might as well be infinite.

I agree that there is life out there, with certainty. Look into the Fermi paradox (where is everyone).

Return to “General”