Prison Warden Balancing - Change Ideas

General chit-chat and minor questions about just about anything

Moderator: NBJeff

Ask_Me_Who
level0

Prison Warden Balancing - Change Ideas

Postby Ask_Me_Who » Mon Oct 12, 2015 12:17 pm

Long post. Sorry.

So the new wardens are a great way to spice up the game, providing ways to incentive playstyles and make the game easier. The problem is they make the game too easy for veteran players. As such I'm putting forward a possible fix. Option-able 'penalties' for each warden based on their character and bonus. Let me know what you think, the actual strength of each penalty is just an example:

----

The Warden - The default warden with no special bonus or abilities. You do your job and pick up your paycheck. A simple worker looking to live a simple life.

----

"The Lobbyist - You run the prison for profit and bribe whoever you need to in pursuit of lower risks. All prisoners arriving at your prison have half the chance of possessing Violent, Lethal, or Deadly traits. Who wants to house dangerous prisoners anyway? It’s just unprofitable. - But where are those non-violent prisoners coming from? All prisoners are 20% more likely to re-offend as local lawmakers struggle to keep your prison supplied with non-violent offenders."

No violent offenders

20% higher re-offending

The lobbyist's bonus is a nice way to make large prisons for newer players. He's also a good way to focus on the more micromanaged aspects of the game without being interrupted by violence. A penalty to re-offending rates could be a nice challenge for players who want to play with reform in such a relatively safe environment.

----

"Rita - You’re the boss. you love being the boss. You love the feeling of crushing prisoners under your autocratic heel. All prisoners with the Stoic and Fearless traits have the effects of that trait diminished, and all prisoners are suppressed twice as fast. Remember to feed the office gimp once a week. - But your reputation isn't always a good thing. Every prisoners chance of attempting escape is doubled, and gangs will work extra hard to destroy your prison using fire and riots. Keep them too scared to move... or else."

2X faster suppression, reduced anti-discipline traits

2X more escape attempts and destruction of property when not suppressed.

Rita is another warden that makes the challenge of violent prisoners easier. In this case balance could be achieved with increased escape chance to make her more attractive to players seeking to design ingenious escape-proof prisons and pit them against increasingly desperate and intelligent prisoners. Riots, fires, stolen keys, and tunnels.

----

"J.W. Periwinkle - Years of service in Vietnam led to years of suffering in a POW camp deep in Vietcong territory. As such, you know a tunnel when you see one. Guard Dogs have a 50% chance to uncover tunnels they detect. That’s Major Periwinkle to you. - But Major Periwinkle isn't the kind of warden prisoners life. For every tunnel you find prison temperature increases."

50% chance to uncover dog detected tunnels

Raise in prison temperature for each detected tunnel

Like the others The Major seeks to remove one aspect of the game, in this case tunnels, to push players into others. For J.W. Periwinkle's war on tunnels this largely pushes players keeping prisoners happy, or dealing with internal issues. By making escape attempts raise temperature J.W. is going to need to keep the prisoners happy or suppressed enough to deal with the occasional thwarted attempt.

----

"The Pacifier - You might be naturally calm, or simple. Either way you’ve found zen in the universe and don’t get riled up by anything. Prisoners respond with a 25% drop in prison temperature. - The prisoners don't always respect you though, because when all is said and done you're weak. Riots will grow 25% faster as prisoners seek to take advantage of your calm."

25% drop in prison temperature

25% raise in riot spread

Unlike the other wardens I say The Pacifier's bonus as being a difficult matter to balance. He simply reduces the number of incidents in your prison so could have the same penalties as either Rita or the Lobbyist, but neither penalty made sense for a pacifier character. Instead he could be balanced by making bad situations even worse. If you succeed in keeping the prison calm under his guidance then all is fine, but when shit hits the fan you're going to need a lot of skill and luck to bring things under control again.

----

"Saphara Acknova - Corruption is a nasty word. You prefer to call them unlisted services. Every prisoner caught with contraband is fined a small fee to not disappear forever, and you make a small profit from reselling the items recovered. All hypothetically of course. - But corruption isn't always so harmless. Your guards also want a piece of the action and start selling keys for the low price of $25. Again, all hypothetically"

Small profit from discovering contraband

Guards sell prison keys for $25

Lastly, Acknova is a very simple warden. She encourages players to find and squash contraband distribution networks. The penalty of throwing prison keys into the mix is both a penalty for players who haven't mastered contraband detection and a major bonus to players who could start to make profit from recovered keys.

----

So, do you think the wardens are balanced? Do you think they should be changed? And how would you change them?
YMS
level1
level1

Re: Prison Warden Balancing - Change Ideas

Postby YMS » Mon Oct 12, 2015 2:18 pm

Short answer: The disadvantages of each warden are simply that he doesn't have the advantages of the others. If you think using any of these advantages makes it too easy for you, use the one without any advantages.
bobybojunior
level1
level1

Postby bobybojunior » Mon Oct 12, 2015 3:39 pm

Choosing a advantagous warden means that you have to build a specific prison that fits around the wardens playstyle. for example, with Saphara, you have to do a lot more shakedowns and a lot more metel dectectors around to get all the contraband
Ask_Me_Who
level0

Postby Ask_Me_Who » Mon Oct 12, 2015 5:42 pm

YMS wrote:Short answer: The disadvantages of each warden are simply that he doesn't have the advantages of the others. If you think using any of these advantages makes it too easy for you, use the one without any advantages.

I was trying to come up with a way to have wardens encourage playstyles the way they do now without being too easy. A way to play with their differences without having to use the objectively hardest default warden.

bobybojunior wrote:Choosing a advantagous warden means that you have to build a specific prison that fits around the wardens playstyle. for example, with Saphara, you have to do a lot more shakedowns and a lot more metel dectectors around to get all the contraband

I think that was the intention, but having a bonus with no penalty means you don't have to do anything. There is no loss if you ignore your wardens style except not exploiting the bonus. Having penalties would make you play to the playstyle or risk some form of new problem.
Last edited by Ask_Me_Who on Mon Oct 12, 2015 6:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Simplex1420
level0

Postby Simplex1420 » Mon Oct 12, 2015 6:20 pm

Spot on idea ! At least to my opinion.
Having played since alpha27 like many, I experienced nearly every aspect of the game.
And this sugestion hits the bull eye as warden do not offer any additional challenge to experienced players.
These modifications would bring an interesting new dimension while being fairly easy to implement as they only make use of existing game mechanics.

I do hope it will be taken into consideration by IV :D
Penny-Jack
level0

Postby Penny-Jack » Mon Oct 12, 2015 9:55 pm

Simplex1420 wrote:Spot on idea ! At least to my opinion.
Having played since alpha27 like many, I experienced nearly every aspect of the game.
And this sugestion hits the bull eye as warden do not offer any additional challenge to experienced players.
These modifications would bring an interesting new dimension while being fairly easy to implement as they only make use of existing game mechanics.

I do hope it will be taken into consideration by IV :D

I agree. :D

When I saw the wiki I thought "Well, seems "The Warden" is kinda pointless!" With balance, it makes things more even.

Also, going to the prison corruption... fuck prison guards, they let El Chapo [https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-k0Bc6GqZyI] Vanish! :!:
Trixi
level2
level2

Postby Trixi » Tue Oct 13, 2015 3:48 am

i would agree with this ideas :)
VoiD88
level5
level5

Postby VoiD88 » Tue Oct 13, 2015 6:00 am

The problem is that the wardens are the result of Introversions highest tier of early access sales: Three years ago, six people paid a real hefty amount of money to support the development of the game and were in turn awarded the chance to design a warden of their choice. So the abilities of the wardens were not the devs idea; changing them now would mean that not only the devs but these six people needed to agree to changes to what they would rightfully consider their own creation.

I'm not saying that it won't ever happen, I'm just saying that you shouldn't hope too much for this particular feature of the game to be changed again.
Simplex1420
level0

Postby Simplex1420 » Tue Oct 13, 2015 2:39 pm

Thanks VoiD88, I didn't know.

But maybe as IV has exceptional (more hardcore) version of each events, they could introduce an 'exceptional' (read more hardcore :D ) version of the wardens ... like a tickbox "take me to madness" or whatever they would call it.
That would leave original wardens as they were sold/offered/promised and still cope with our suggestion no ?
Ask_Me_Who
level0

Postby Ask_Me_Who » Tue Oct 13, 2015 5:36 pm

That was my thoughts too Simplex1420. Make it an option for experienced players looking for a challenge but leave the option to use current OP wardens for new players and people who want to just have an easy game.

Return to “General”