Sad... very sad

General discussion about Defcon

Moderator: Defcon moderators

User avatar
Trident
level2
level2
Posts: 160
Joined: Fri Mar 30, 2007 6:59 am
Location: Canada

Sad... very sad

Postby Trident » Wed Aug 22, 2007 10:34 pm

Well I've been away for months, gone half way around the world, met hundreds of people, learned some amazing things, and accomplished alot. It's the middle of summer and here I am back for a couple months until I go do it all over again. Decided to drop into the forum to see whats new and what do I see?... All the same people still discussing the same things, still playing the same game, writing there 3334th post about 'whats the best country to be' 'how do YOU order your fleets' 'look how much time I wasted on defcon last night ' 'how could I not be the best player I've played a million games' 'anyone else's wife ready to leave them' blahblahblah.

Now I understand some people are new and thats fine, but to those who have been here forever (you know who you are) I'd just like to say one thing....

SAD...VERY SAD
User avatar
Angel of Death
level3
level3
Posts: 379
Joined: Sat Oct 07, 2006 10:13 pm
Location: Oklahoma USA
Contact:

Postby Angel of Death » Wed Aug 22, 2007 10:56 pm

Its a drug I say.......... :shock:
User avatar
Ace Rimmer
level5
level5
Posts: 10803
Joined: Thu Dec 07, 2006 9:46 pm
Location: The Multiverse

Re: Sad... very sad

Postby Ace Rimmer » Wed Aug 22, 2007 11:03 pm

Heh, I'm sure we're all glad to see you're traveling and learning and have a few moments to check in on the rest of us. :wink: I guess I could dump my stable job, take my wife and kids away from their family most of the year, and meet hundreds of different people too.

Meh, on second thought I'm too old for that. Plus, my kids wouldn't develop strong relationships with their extended family and blame me for it later. Heh, my wife being in her 7th month of pregnancy would probably leave me because of all the moving around, especially since the sole reason we moved to Atlanta was to be near her family. :wink:

Also, everybody knows that skynet77812 is the greatest Defcon player, no matter how much the rest of us play so we don't worry about that. :P
User avatar
xander
level5
level5
Posts: 16869
Joined: Thu Oct 21, 2004 11:41 pm
Location: Highland, CA, USA
Contact:

Postby xander » Wed Aug 22, 2007 11:14 pm

Is it really necessary to be so judgmental about how people spend their free time? What is the point of posting here to tell everyone how sad they are?

xander
User avatar
Feud
level5
level5
Posts: 5149
Joined: Sun Oct 08, 2006 8:40 pm
Location: Blackacre, VA

Postby Feud » Wed Aug 22, 2007 11:21 pm

What other games would we talk about on the Defcon game forum? Counter-Strike?

I've traveled, I've done the youthful wandering thing. Now I'm in the "I need to go to college so I can get the job that I want so I can provide for my future family with out hating every minute of my work day" phase of my life. This requires a couple things:

A) College- Summer vacation still (three weeks left)

B) Money- Which means I save as much as possible. IV makes great games for bargain prices. I suppose I could go out and buy all the latest and greatest games, but I would rather my money goes towards my education, and other, more productive past times of mine.
User avatar
shinygerbil
level5
level5
Posts: 4667
Joined: Wed Dec 22, 2004 10:14 pm
Location: Out, finding my own food. Also, doing the shinyBonsai Manoeuvre(tm)
Contact:

Postby shinygerbil » Thu Aug 23, 2007 12:29 am

Damn, Trident, I wanna be too cool like you.
Here is my signature. Make of it what you will.
Image
User avatar
walrus47
level4
level4
Posts: 559
Joined: Sat Jul 28, 2007 10:56 am

Postby walrus47 » Thu Aug 23, 2007 12:47 am

Whats sad is feeling the need to come back to a forum like this to judge people against what you may have done in the last while. Dont assume that anything youve done is more worthwhile than how anyone else may have spent their time.

If youre so sure that what youre doing in your life is so special, then why do you need to come here and push it into other peoples faces? Sounds like a bit of insecurity to me and if you need to come here and say that to feel better about yourself, thats a pretty major character weakness on your part.

But sure have fun with what youre doing anyway, but dont assume that to progress anywhere in life you need to leave anything behind.
User avatar
Trident
level2
level2
Posts: 160
Joined: Fri Mar 30, 2007 6:59 am
Location: Canada

Postby Trident » Thu Aug 23, 2007 1:54 am

To Xander : I'm glad I could be a part of you 3334th post. 3334 posts! thats alot of free time.

To Feud: Traveling is part of my job. The most satisfying job I could ever have because it involves helping people.

To walrus45: I have no doubts that what I do is more worthwhile than something so meaningless like discussing a game in a forum. I feel pretty damn proud of myself right now, but yes I do get alot kicks out of this. To progress in life usually requires leaving things behind, such is the nature of change.

To shinygerbil: Just the type juvenile response I was hoping for.

To Ace Rimmer: I admire your sense of humor.


To All:

After seeing so much I guess I was just shocked to learn that you where all still here. Games are fun, thats why there games, but there comes a time to move on. Sure things like this are good for wasting time, but there is so much more you could be doing with that time, theres always newer experiences to be had. Is your stories to your children or your eulogy after your passing going to involve how much you liked computer games because there's really nothing else to say? That, is what would be sad.

In closing i guess the point of all this is to say.... For God sakes get out there and do something, ANYTHING to contribute to society and the progression of our species as a whole.
User avatar
Feud
level5
level5
Posts: 5149
Joined: Sun Oct 08, 2006 8:40 pm
Location: Blackacre, VA

Postby Feud » Thu Aug 23, 2007 3:56 am

Trident wrote:
In closing i guess the point of all this is to say.... For God sakes get out there and do something, ANYTHING to contribute to society and the progression of our species as a whole.


Really, you have no idea how anyone on this forum besides yourself spends their time. You have no idea if there are teachers here that spend their whole day fostering the growth and development of our youth. You have no idea if there are firemen who spend the day saving lives, or soldiers who protect freedom. You have no idea if people here are social workers who's life work is feeding the homeless, or providing medicine to orphans.

You are deciding that people's hobbies are their life's work, which is really unfair. Granted, there may be some who do need to get out more and make something of themselves, but until I can observe the person in their daily life I don't think I am qualified to make such a determination.
User avatar
xander
level5
level5
Posts: 16869
Joined: Thu Oct 21, 2004 11:41 pm
Location: Highland, CA, USA
Contact:

Postby xander » Thu Aug 23, 2007 4:15 am

Trident wrote:In closing i guess the point of all this is to say.... For God sakes get out there and do something, ANYTHING to contribute to society and the progression of our species as a whole.

So, without knowing a thing about us, except that we share an interest in a couple of games, you decide to judge us. It sounds to me like you are projecting. I am going to make two points, then I am going to stop feeding the troll. I would recommend that everyone else do the same, but not strongly, as I kind of look forward to Trident's next inflammatory post.

1) The 9,000 posts that I have accrued during the last three years on the IV boards amount to an average of a little more than 8 posts per day. That is less than one hour per day. This is the same hour that some people might spend watching television, or playing games, or doing any one of a number of other activities that might be judged by someone like you as being worthless. People need time to relax, and this is as good a way as any. Or do you really mean to suggest that everyone should be doing something productive every moment of every day of their lives.

2) You seem to be making the assumption that I am not contributing to society. You are welcome to that assumption, but it is incorrect.

xander
User avatar
KingAl
level5
level5
Posts: 4138
Joined: Sun Sep 10, 2006 7:42 am

Postby KingAl » Thu Aug 23, 2007 5:53 am

It's regrettable - albeit amusing - that your personal growth is in the realm of trolling, ultracrepidation and abuse of ellipses rather than humility or acumen, but such is life, eh?
Gentlemen, you can't fight in here: this is the War Room!
Ultimate Uplink Guide
Latest Patch
User avatar
shinygerbil
level5
level5
Posts: 4667
Joined: Wed Dec 22, 2004 10:14 pm
Location: Out, finding my own food. Also, doing the shinyBonsai Manoeuvre(tm)
Contact:

Postby shinygerbil » Thu Aug 23, 2007 8:22 am

Trident wrote:To shinygerbil: Just the type [of] juvenile response I was hoping for.


What, you actually came back and READ the responses? I figured you'd be out being cool.

:roll:

I posted something juvenile, because it seems pretty clear to me that you're acting juvenile. Well, let's keep feeding the troll:

You've been away for months, gone half way around the world, met hundreds of people, learned some amazing things, and accomplished a lot, you say. You're pretty damn proud of yourself, you say. You're cool, I say. And all you can think of to do is troll, and stroke your ego. You assume none of us ever achieve anything, but in fact we're just not self-centred and arrogant enough to feel the need to enter an old forum we once made a few posts on and tell everyone just how cool we are.

You like to help people? Do us all a favour. It would be for the good of humanity. I'm sure you can do it pretty painlessly, nowadays. Just an injection, so I am told, and it's all over. ;)
Here is my signature. Make of it what you will.

Image
mrobertsonesq
level1
level1
Posts: 47
Joined: Fri Aug 03, 2007 12:33 pm
Location: London, UK

Postby mrobertsonesq » Thu Aug 23, 2007 9:12 am

Picking up on this point from Walrus47

walrus47 wrote:Whats sad is feeling the need to come back to a forum like this to judge people against what you may have done in the last while. Dont assume that anything youve done is more worthwhile than how anyone else may have spent their time.


would have thought that your self proclaimed...

trident wrote:half way around the world, met hundreds of people, learned some amazing things, and accomplished alot.


...would have resulted in you learning that there are many different people in this world and as long as they aren't eating pandas or murdering children, you should just let them be. we aren't harming anyone here, so why be so antisocial towards harmless people?

And on a flip side, you have failed to give a single example of anything you have done that is "amazing" or "accomplished" - and to be frank, I don't know you so wouldn't care. Now, however, I also don't like you, so have no interest in your opinions, accomplishments or anything else for that matter.

You are the first person I have met on here that I dislike. That is both a nod of praise to everyone else on the board and a recognition of your abilities to troll. You have indeed "accomplished" an "amazing" thing (your words) - my distaste.
User avatar
world idiot
level4
level4
Posts: 588
Joined: Mon Dec 18, 2006 8:37 pm
Location: losing miserably (as always)

Postby world idiot » Thu Aug 23, 2007 9:45 am

who says that I am wasting my time on these forums, I am still studying for my GCSEs when i get back to school, this is just something to ease the pressure
User avatar
zjoere
level5
level5
Posts: 1623
Joined: Thu Feb 22, 2007 4:40 pm
Location: Belgium

Postby zjoere » Thu Aug 23, 2007 11:49 am

You've got a live i envy you.
especially the part in your live that involves bragging about it on a forum.


and society can suck my balls. society never did anything for me.

Return to “General”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 14 guests