63%
Dinosaurs.
7%

Total votes: 59
Pater
level2
level2

Postby Pater » Thu Aug 09, 2007 11:04 am

No, since that "protection" actually brings the carriers to the fighting range of enemy battleships.
mrobertsonesq
level1
level1

Postby mrobertsonesq » Thu Aug 09, 2007 11:29 am

Pater wrote:No, since that "protection" actually brings the carriers to the fighting range of enemy battleships.

Granted... I guess that then follow on to "how do you mainly use your bombers? against ships or fixed targets?"

Personally I use them more against fixed targets (often towards the end of a game against unprotected cities).

But don't get me wrong, I do totally see where you are coming from.
Feud
level5
level5

Postby Feud » Thu Aug 09, 2007 4:16 pm

Pater wrote: so theres kinda nothing to support mixed fleets IMO.

While I don't claim to be that great of a player, nor the end all source for sage advice, I think that my record lends at least some support to mixed fleets.
crystal_Palace
level2
level2

Postby crystal_Palace » Sun Aug 19, 2007 7:37 pm

yes it does. I have tried many kinds, and have watched many others, and if it works 60% of the time then it needs little improvement. If it works more than that leave it.
I like 2 of each keeping carriers close to BS and subs either behind or slightly in front active , seems to scare BS's away and then I can use bombers to take them out. After that the carriers are somewhat easy if I have all my BS's to take out th fighters that get in the way of my bombers.
But I like feud's way too, very effective. HI there is too dam good with his as well, seems I should be able to beat him but he has "LATENAVAL" prowess due to his cmefrom behind ocean NUKE BARAAGE
man that should be illegal!@!!
mrobertsonesq
level1
level1

Postby mrobertsonesq » Wed Aug 22, 2007 9:06 am

I'm more worried about the 1 person who uses dinosaurs to make up their fleets <shudders>
world idiot
level4
level4

Postby world idiot » Thu Aug 23, 2007 10:19 am

mrobertsonesq wrote:I'm more worried about the 1 person who uses dinosaurs to make up their fleets <shudders>

dinosaurs cannot float, and will sink and drown. :wink:
Cooper42
level4
level4

Postby Cooper42 » Thu Aug 23, 2007 11:00 am

Dinosaurs may be big, but I'm pretty sure they'd float anyway. As with most creatures, there's probably enough air in their bodies to keep them afloat for some time. At least to begin with.

They'd probably drown. But they'd float...
Whoever you vote for, the government wins.
world idiot
level4
level4

Postby world idiot » Thu Aug 23, 2007 11:04 am

the bone mass and muscle mass of a dinosaur "outweighs" the air inside the body.
mrobertsonesq
level1
level1

Postby mrobertsonesq » Thu Aug 23, 2007 11:06 am

wouldn't it depend on the dinosaur? the exact species?

I've never seen a dino with B52 bombers resting on it, but I did have a nasty fight with a wolly mammoth in a pub a few weeks ago.
Cooper42
level4
level4

Postby Cooper42 » Thu Aug 23, 2007 11:10 am

world idiot wrote:the bone mass and muscle mass of a dinosaur "outweighs" the air inside the body.
I'm not sure of dinosaur bone structure exactly. But if it's anything like current bone structure in reptilians or birds, it's anything but solid material... It would, itself, be part of the body which would add bouancy I'd imagine.
Whoever you vote for, the government wins.
Blackbeard
level4
level4

Postby Blackbeard » Sat Sep 01, 2007 12:28 pm

Sometimes, when playing as Europe, I place: B/ship, Carrier, Sub. In this group of 3, the B/ship is bottom left, the Carrier is on top, and the Sub bottom right. Then I form the fleet into a wedge shape, jutting into the atlantic, and at Defcon 3, switch the Subs to Active Sonar (I don't place anything facing Russia, relying instead on Bomber runs, and Suisilos).
With this setup, my fleet will invariably encounter enemy Subs, trying to sneak up past the UK, or lurking off the coast of Morocco, and even if I do suffer a full-on assault from an enemy fleet, the 'fluid' nature of my Armada, allows me too envelope it, and get a reasonable number of protected Subs to the coast of North America, (or mid-atlantic, depending on the world-scale).
The trick with this method, is not to have your fleet sticking out too far into the atlantic, as this gives your Subs the time to switch to Active Sonar, before any enemy ships are encountered.
Player7
level1
level1

Postby Player7 » Sat Sep 01, 2007 4:26 pm

mixed fleets!!?? ughhh, never.

It was my belief that since every ship in the fleet must move in unison mixing fleets slows every ship down to the match the slowest ship ie: battleships go as slow as carriers or subs.
xander
level5
level5

Postby xander » Sat Sep 01, 2007 4:32 pm

Player7 wrote:mixed fleets!!?? ughhh, never.

It was my belief that since every ship in the fleet must move in unison mixing fleets slows every ship down to the match the slowest ship ie: battleships go as slow as carriers or subs.

Carriers and battleships move at the same speed. So, mixing subs in slows the entire fleet, but mixing carriers and battleships does not.

xander
creator
level3
level3

Postby creator » Sat Sep 01, 2007 5:07 pm

In smaller games where im going to be microing and watghing everythign in the reatest detail i one type of mixed fleet. It's two battleships and one carrier. THe extra radar range given by the carrier means that you see any advancing battelships or bombers on nuke mode before they see you giving you a huge advantage. It also gives your carrier a shield against fighters. I use pure fleets as well but they are more as back-ups.

IF i was to use seperate battleships and carriers then they tend to get jumbled whle moving which makes them vulnerable to preetty much everything.
hi there (name sux)
level2
level2

Postby hi there (name sux) » Sat Sep 01, 2007 6:08 pm

Anything you can do with a mixed fleet you can do with a same ship fleet, just the same ship fleets can do more. The advantage of the mixed fleets is that it makes things much easier on yourself. They are better for defense than for offense, too. However, I think it's better to have the same amount of battleships and carriers in a mixed fleet (so, 3 and 3, 2 and 2, or 1 and 1).

Return to “Strategic Air Command”