Logic driving me NUTS

General chit-chat and minor questions about just about anything

Moderator: NBJeff

Merum
level1
level1

Re: Logic driving me NUTS

Postby Merum » Wed Apr 15, 2015 5:03 pm

I may be mistaken, but don't those servos need to be powered?
steviebuk
level2
level2

Postby steviebuk » Mon Jun 01, 2015 11:43 pm

Makes no difference it would seem. Still doesn't work. As far as I can tell, the logic system just doesn't work as it should.

Playing with the setup again, I find that having it setup as in the previous posts the switches become, as I mentioned, uncontrollable. You flick one switch off and it gets forced back on. From what I can tell, the Logic Circuit is causing that. It appears to be saying "There are two switches on this circuit. So if A is on AND B exists then it will be switched to on even if you turn it off".

But surely in logic it should be "IF A is on AND B is on then their is power. IF either A or B is off, then power to the doors should be off".
TeeWee
level1
level1

Postby TeeWee » Tue Jun 02, 2015 12:03 pm

If you're trying to connect power switches directly to logic circuits, I've found that power switches do not communicate "Off" correctly to downstream logic circuits. Once flicked to "On", the downstream will keep "On", and never receive "Off".

There is a workaround: Power switch -> Status light -> Logic circuit. For some reason, the status light does translate "Off" into a true 0 and can be used as a source signal to downstream logic circuits.

In short: place status lights between your power switches and the AND-circuits and I think it will work as you intended it. I do think it's a bug with power switches.
Hammond
level0

Postby Hammond » Tue Jun 16, 2015 9:57 am

Because both your Door Servos do not have power, if you see the screenshots closely, there are power linked to the Door Servos, just like how they connect the lights.

Give your Door Servos power, and they should work properly.
steviebuk
level2
level2

Postby steviebuk » Wed Jul 01, 2015 11:47 pm

Hammond wrote:Because both your Door Servos do not have power, if you see the screenshots closely, there are power linked to the Door Servos, just like how they connect the lights.

Give your Door Servos power, and they should work properly.

Makes no difference. The doors still perm stay open even if you turn one of the switches off.
TeeWee
level1
level1

Postby TeeWee » Mon Jul 06, 2015 3:42 pm

steviebuk wrote:Makes no difference. The doors still perm stay open even if you turn one of the switches off.

Have you tried my suggestion of installing a status light after the power switch?
(Power switch) --> (Status light) --> (AND-circuit)
For some reason, power switches don't relay "Off" downstream correctly to other logic components, except for status lights. You can connect a circuit downstream from the status light.

So in my proposed work around, your switch-state propagates to the status light. The status light-state propagates to your AND-circuit. The AND-circuit closes your door servos.

No screenshots, but this should be easy to construct.
steviebuk
level2
level2

Postby steviebuk » Mon Jul 06, 2015 10:47 pm

TeeWee wrote:
steviebuk wrote:Makes no difference. The doors still perm stay open even if you turn one of the switches off.

Have you tried my suggestion of installing a status light after the power switch?
For some reason, power switches don't relay "Off" downstream correctly to other logic components, except for status lights. You can connect a circuit downstream from the status light.

So in my proposed work around, your switch-state propagates to the status light. The status light-state propagates to your AND-circuit. The AND-circuit closes your door servos.

I'll try but I've watched back at all the old Alpha's the other day, to see how things have changed :) got to the circuit episode when it was first put in. The circuits clearly are not working as they were in that video and are broken.

https://youtu.be/qf3VUOJoD4s
TeeWee
level1
level1

Postby TeeWee » Tue Jul 07, 2015 8:10 am

steviebuk wrote:
TeeWee wrote:Have you tried my suggestion of installing a status light after the power switch?

I'll try but I've watched back at all the old Alpha's the other day, to see how things have changed :) got to the circuit episode when it was first put in. The circuits clearly are not working as they were in that video and are broken.

https://youtu.be/qf3VUOJoD4s

Let me know if this solves the problem :)

As far as I can tell, the power switches are the components that are bugged, not the logic circuits themselves. The problem seems to be that the power switch can send an "ON" signal actively, but it doesn't signal "OFF" actively. That's the reason the logic circuit won't register a state change. It certainly isn't just the logic circuit component: door servos exhibit the same "not receiving OFF correctly from power switches"-behaviour. They work correctly for other input sources (pressure pads, door monitors, etc.)

The only component that will react intuitively to power switches seems to be the status light.

I had the same problem as you and I recall figuring things out by making a bare minimum setup: power switch to door servo. As long as the switch was off when I connected it to the servo, I was able to change the door servo from red to green by flipping the switch, but not from green to red by flipping it back. To double check, I then added a parallel status light, which did signal ON / OFF correctly. Then, when I inserted the status light between the switch and the door servo, it worked. This is how I got the logic circuit + power switch combo working in the end.
steviebuk
level2
level2

Postby steviebuk » Tue May 24, 2016 11:20 pm

Well it's release 6 and it still wasn't fixed. I, yet again, created a new bug on the Mantis as others appeared to be ignored and if I remember right, I had one closed with no fix.

FINALLY they've acknowledge the issue and have now said it's fixed. Hopefully will appear in the next patch.

You're right about the power switch. I went back to the Alpha's. To when it was working and noticed it stopped working when door servos required power. Ever since then it's been broken.

To add to that, knowing it's still broken I tried two switches, a status light, an ADD gate and two door servos. Connected switches to status light and status light to AND gate, AND gate to door servos. All went well with actually turning the switches on, but turning them off seems another issue. They are totally ignoring the AND gate. So if one is off, the servos should be OFF, but they stay on until both switches are OFF. It should be if one switch is OFF then the servos stop working. They should only work when one switch is on AND the other switch is on.

Anyway, we'll see the fix next patch hopefully.
steviebuk
level2
level2

Postby steviebuk » Tue May 31, 2016 6:59 pm

YEEEEAHHHHHH!!! Finally fixed in the new patch.

Return to “General”