Game has grind to almost a halt at 10FPS with 2 970s!

(previously 'DEVELOPER') Private forum for registered community members. To register, please visit www.prison-architect.com/register.

Moderator: NBJeff

Rock Steady
level0

Game has grind to almost a halt at 10FPS with 2 970s!

Postby Rock Steady » Mon Jun 15, 2015 2:45 am

Ive got quite a big prison and alot of people in (200 Guards 300 Workers 50 cooks 10 Gardeners and 500 Prisoners)
I'm running a i5 4690k at 4.5ghz 24GB ram and 2 970s.
At the moment the game is pretty much unplayable as its just dropped to about 10fps. Are there any tweaks you can suggest ?
TheCanadianVending
level1
level1

Re: Game has grind to almost a halt at 10FPS with 2 970s!

Postby TheCanadianVending » Mon Jun 15, 2015 4:01 am

Because you are processing 1060 entities, each with their own pathfinding calculations, jobs etc. It's more of a processor thing than anything.

Suggestion - Less workers. You should only have 50, IMO
WyDavies
level2
level2

Postby WyDavies » Mon Jun 15, 2015 4:43 am

It gets exponentially worse. I have a prison with just over 1500 inmates and at meal times FRAPS is reading 1 fps. It is probably less than 1, but FRAPS only shows whole numbers. Dunno why, but meals times are really really bad when you get up to the high numbers.
Jackinator
level1
level1

Postby Jackinator » Mon Jun 15, 2015 4:55 pm

WyDavies wrote:It gets exponentially worse. I have a prison with just over 1500 inmates and at meal times FRAPS is reading 1 fps. It is probably less than 1, but FRAPS only shows whole numbers. Dunno why, but meals times are really really bad when you get up to the high numbers.

I think primarily it has to do with the food trays. Every mealtime countless new foodtray entities are created (stack - > single trays), with changing states (full, halffull, empty, etc.) and with a relation to another entity (prisoner). I think this alone takes its fps toll.
Last edited by Jackinator on Mon Jun 15, 2015 5:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
MMZ>Torak
level2
level2

Postby MMZ>Torak » Mon Jun 15, 2015 5:06 pm

Jackinator wrote:
WyDavies wrote:It gets exponentially worse. I have a prison with just over 1500 inmates and at meal times FRAPS is reading 1 fps. It is probably less than 1, but FRAPS only shows whole numbers. Dunno why, but meals times are really really bad when you get up to the high numbers.

I think it primarily it has to do with the food trays. every mealtime countless new foodtray entities are created (stack - > single trays), with changing states (full, halffull, empty, etc.) and with a relation to another entity (prisoner). I think this alone takes its fps toll.

Lets not forget the entirely un-needed task of stacking them in some poor fool's cell who is on permanent lock down...
xander
level5
level5

Postby xander » Mon Jun 15, 2015 10:01 pm

Jackinator wrote:

I think primarily it has to do with the food trays. Every mealtime countless new foodtray entities are created (stack - > single trays), with changing states (full, halffull, empty, etc.) and with a relation to another entity (prisoner). I think this alone takes its fps toll.

The states of the food trays are largely irrelevant (should be O(n)). What is relevant are the hundreds of prisoners that suddenly need to find paths to the food (more like O(c^n)).

xander

Return to “Community Members”