cooks do not cook at all ever

General chit-chat and minor questions about just about anything

Moderator: NBJeff

pschumac2
level0

cooks do not cook at all ever

Postby pschumac2 » Tue May 19, 2015 3:21 am

I started a new game and set everything up no dice. Read the forms, redid the kitchen, routed logistics, redid the kitchen again, restarted the game, changed the food quality nada. Was applying the advice in the forms for a good 2 hours (I just bought the game so it has been a miserably experience so far).

Figured there might be a bug so I started a new game. SAME thing, cooks don't cook.

I'm giving up as I just got the game and at least for me after spending HOURS trying to just get the thing to work I'm not in the mood to play it any longer but figured I would let you guys know that problem (which there are a ton of posts about) is still alive and well in the game.
NBJeff
level1
level1

Re: cooks do not cook at all ever

Postby NBJeff » Tue May 19, 2015 11:31 pm

Sorry to hear the game isn't working out for you so far...Typically speaking any issues with the cooks was taken care of long ago but ya never know...

Screen shots would certainly help us all get the basic troubleshooting out of the way.
I've been there a couple times where I've spent hours online and on reddit trying to figure out problems before I realized that I had forgotten to do something (I forgot to tag rooms as "cells" once and was wondering why my guards weren't bringing the inmates to their cells...)

Cheers,
troodon311
level0

Postby troodon311 » Wed May 20, 2015 3:11 am

I've twice had the same problem. My first game the cooks never cooked anything. My second game they cooked for several days and then just stopped... I have no idea what happened.
MMZ>Torak
level2
level2

Postby MMZ>Torak » Wed May 20, 2015 1:57 pm

troodon311 wrote:I've twice had the same problem. My first game the cooks never cooked anything. My second game they cooked for several days and then just stopped... I have no idea what happened.

Changing the size of a cell block that is already getting serviced by a kitchen (or for that matter a laundry) can break the association with said facility. Check your logistics after editing a cell block.
HeroBiX
level0

Postby HeroBiX » Wed May 20, 2015 8:57 pm

I had the same problem, here is a video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_pCLhgN ... load_owner

What I did was I had a normal kitchen connected to one eating hall.

Then I wanted to separate the eating hall to 3 different parts
1. Protective custody
2. Minimal Security
3. Medium Security

When I did that, the kitchen stopped delivering food to any of the different sections.

What I figured out later is that I need one separate kitchen for each different eating hall I wanted to create, fairly annoying, specially when you want to make a big kitchen to take care of everything.
nilug
level0

Postby nilug » Thu May 21, 2015 8:25 am

Is your problem solved? I am really interested in that game. May I know where to buy that game.
philmo
level0

Postby philmo » Thu May 21, 2015 11:07 am

pschumac2 wrote:I started a new game and set everything up no dice. Read the forms, redid the kitchen, routed logistics, redid the kitchen again, restarted the game, changed the food quality nada. Was applying the advice in the forms for a good 2 hours (I just bought the game so it has been a miserably experience so far).

Figured there might be a bug so I started a new game. SAME thing, cooks don't cook.

I'm giving up as I just got the game and at least for me after spending HOURS trying to just get the thing to work I'm not in the mood to play it any longer but figured I would let you guys know that problem (which there are a ton of posts about) is still alive and well in the game.

How many kitchens and canteens do you have ?

I found with more than one of each it just failed - frustrating.

Just ended up with one canteen - which was a pain as the prisoners had to travel too far to get there, and also high and low sec were mixed so
blood would flow.
hotmonkas
level0

Postby hotmonkas » Sun May 24, 2015 8:36 pm

I have the same exact problem. It's really frustrating. My cook just walks around in the kitchen and does nothing while my prisoners are starving. This is only the start of the game too. I already have a regime set for eating twice a day for 2 hours each.

Here's a screenshot of my game:
http://i.imgur.com/udaotEC.png

Any help would be appreciated.
CumpyLustard
level2
level2

Postby CumpyLustard » Sun May 24, 2015 9:02 pm

hotmonkas wrote:I have the same exact problem. It's really frustrating. My cook just walks around in the kitchen and does nothing while my prisoners are starving. This is only the start of the game too. I already have a regime set for eating twice a day for 2 hours each.

Here's a screenshot of my game:
http://i.imgur.com/udaotEC.png

Any help would be appreciated.

Try building a hallway between the cells/holding cell and the canteen. Check the Deployment screen to see if your prison is secure, that might be the problem.

Also, capacitors don't work like that. They only provide additional power if they are directly next to the power station and in each of the four corners.
mb0228
level0

Postby mb0228 » Mon May 25, 2015 1:40 am

I'm having the same problem, cooks arn't cooking, prisoners aren't leaving cells, they don't shower. they just sit there. any idea whats going on?
hotmonkas
level0

Postby hotmonkas » Mon May 25, 2015 2:23 am

CumpyLustard wrote:
Try building a hallway between the cells/holding cell and the canteen. Check the Deployment screen to see if your prison is secure, that might be the problem.

Also, capacitors don't work like that. They only provide additional power if they are directly next to the power station and in each of the four corners.

Yup, it was the prison security. Once I fenced off my whole prison, the prisoners started coming out and cooks started cooking. I feel like this really needs to be explained carefully to first time players... There was no tutorial at all, but I understand it is an alpha game. I just felt completely lost first the first few hours. Also, the Deployment screen isn't available in the beginning either. I had to research Security in order to get it. So again, very unintuitive for first time players.

And thanks for the tip about the capacitors. Will move them.

Return to “General”