Can't play game properly annoyed!

General chit-chat and minor questions about just about anything

Moderator: NBJeff

Kylehallas69
level1
level1

Can't play game properly annoyed!

Postby Kylehallas69 » Fri May 15, 2015 10:54 am

I have recently bought prison architect having seen others on youtube play it. However when i open the game i can't scroll left and right with either A or D or Left or Right. I can only scroll up or down. Also when i press escape to open the menu it's mega zoomed in to the point where i can't see any of the menu options and none of the options i click on work in the game such as materials etc. Just a note using q and e to zoom in and out doesn't solve the problem at all. buying a useless game, good one guys....
MMZ>Torak
level2
level2

Re: Can't play game properly annoyed!

Postby MMZ>Torak » Fri May 15, 2015 3:58 pm

Kylehallas69 wrote:I have recently bought prison architect having seen others on youtube play it. However when i open the game i can't scroll left and right with either A or D or Left or Right. I can only scroll up or down. Also when i press escape to open the menu it's mega zoomed in to the point where i can't see any of the menu options and none of the options i click on work in the game such as materials etc. Just a note using q and e to zoom in and out doesn't solve the problem at all. buying a useless game, good one guys....

Not the best attitude to have when looking for help...
welldone@gmx.ch
level0

Postby welldone@gmx.ch » Fri May 15, 2015 4:32 pm

MMZ>Torak wrote:
Kylehallas69 wrote:I have recently bought prison architect having seen others on youtube play it. However when i open the game i can't scroll left and right with either A or D or Left or Right. I can only scroll up or down. Also when i press escape to open the menu it's mega zoomed in to the point where i can't see any of the menu options and none of the options i click on work in the game such as materials etc. Just a note using q and e to zoom in and out doesn't solve the problem at all. buying a useless game, good one guys....

Not the best attitude to have when looking for help...

but the truth.... buyed the game also for a lot of euros and can't zoom -> unplayable

q = full zoom
e = no zoom....
.. there is nothing between

...mouse wheel does not work

Is there a solution? Thx
foreverska
level0

Postby foreverska » Fri May 15, 2015 8:14 pm

What are you playing on?

Those big bugs obviously aren't widespread. We aren't all just putting up with an unplayable game. What are your system specs and maybe someone will have an easier time suggesting a solution.
Kylehallas69
level1
level1

Postby Kylehallas69 » Fri May 15, 2015 10:22 pm

Nvidia Geforce 860M graphics card, 8gb RAM and Intel I7-4710MQ processor
xander
level5
level5

Postby xander » Sat May 16, 2015 12:28 am

Running Ubuntu I assume, since you didn't specify. And I am guessing that your screen resolution is 640x480, as that is a pretty standard resolution...

Seriously... if you want help, you need to provide as much information as humanly possible. The problem that you are experiencing is rare, as evidenced by the fact that you are, very possibly, the only person to experience this problem and post about it on the boards. This means that there must be something unusual about your setup---you may be running a different OS, or have different hardware, or have some other bit of software running in the background.

Moreover, I still don't really understand what your problem is. On the one hand, you seem to be complaining that some of the keys don't work. On the other hand, you seem to be complaining that the menus are really zoomed. Some screenshots would help. It would also help to know if you have an unusual keyboard (or keyboard layout). We can't help if you don't provide details.

xander
welldone@gmx.ch
level0

Postby welldone@gmx.ch » Sat May 16, 2015 10:26 am

xander wrote:Running Ubuntu I assume, since you didn't specify. And I am guessing that your screen resolution is 640x480, as that is a pretty standard resolution...

Seriously... if you want help, you need to provide as much information as humanly possible. The problem that you are experiencing is rare, as evidenced by the fact that you are, very possibly, the only person to experience this problem and post about it on the boards. This means that there must be something unusual about your setup---you may be running a different OS, or have different hardware, or have some other bit of software running in the background.

Moreover, I still don't really understand what your problem is. On the one hand, you seem to be complaining that some of the keys don't work. On the other hand, you seem to be complaining that the menus are really zoomed. Some screenshots would help. It would also help to know if you have an unusual keyboard (or keyboard layout). We can't help if you don't provide details.

xander

look at google how much people have/had similar problems.... and no solution. the problem is not rare.

I tried to play with a microsoft wireles set (keboard and mouse), but that showed the problems described. This morning it tried it with a logitech-set... and now all is ok. And now i am happy, not to need help from you, as you will not help.... you will specyfie problems as minor. bye!
Kylehallas69
level1
level1

Postby Kylehallas69 » Sat May 16, 2015 7:07 pm

Xander, you appear to have me wanting to say oh yeah i run this and that and it is very rare etc.... Everything on my laptop is normal, i have a normal English keyboard, windows 8.1 updated and legitimate. My laptop has the same OS etc as one you would buy in PCworld or some other generic shop. Stop clutching at straws. This is a common problem that's annoying because plenty of people have it.
Kylehallas69
level1
level1

Postby Kylehallas69 » Sat May 16, 2015 7:12 pm

how do you even upload printscreens to here. When i try to img and then ctrl v the printscreen it doesn't let me
Threehorns
level3
level3

Postby Threehorns » Sat May 16, 2015 7:44 pm

1) you can make a screenshot to steam and link the image on steam or the url to the image on steam
2) you can make a screenshot, save it with your image editor, upload it to a image hosting site like imgur and than link the image or the url to the image.
xander
level5
level5

Postby xander » Sat May 16, 2015 10:58 pm

welldone@gmx.ch wrote:look at google how much people have/had similar problems.... and no solution. the problem is not rare.

I don't even rightly understand what the problem *is*, as it has been pretty poorly described, hence I have no way of Googling or even comparing to what other people are experiencing. It should also be noted that even a rare problem may be experienced by a lot of people, given how many people have paid for the game. My point with regard to the rarity of the problem was that the OP came to the forums with hostility, clearly assuming that his problem was incredibly common. Most people do not experience whatever this problem is, and it is going to be impossible to solve without knowing what hardware and software is running---again, it is an uncommon enough problem that there is likely something different about the setup.

welldone@gmx.ch wrote:I tried to play with a microsoft wireles set (keboard and mouse), but that showed the problems described. This morning it tried it with a logitech-set... and now all is ok.

Which indicates that there is likely a problem with the drivers for that mouse and/or keyboard, or a bug in the game with respect to those particular bits of hardware. If you have any interest in helping fix the problem for the future, it would be helpful to know the exact model of keyboard and mouse, and the version of the drivers that you have installed.

welldone@gmx.ch wrote:And now i am happy, not to need help from you, as you will not help.... you will specyfie problems as minor. bye!

I did not say that the problem was minor. I said that (a) I do not understand the nature of the problem and that (b) since it has not been reported on the forums in the past (so far as I can tell), it is probably a fairly rare problem, meaning that more information is needed in order to try to fix it.

Kylehallas69 wrote:Xander, you appear to have me wanting to say oh yeah i run this and that and it is very rare etc....

That isn't what I said at all. Rare problems are harder to fix, as they tend to be caused by less common combinations of hardware and software. That doesn't make them unimportant or minor, just more difficult to deal with. This means that you are special, not unimportant.

Kylehallas69 wrote:Everything on my laptop is normal,

"Normal" doesn't mean anything. Toshiba? Lenovo? Dell? Ancient IBM? Homebuilt? It is also interesting and/or useful to know that you have a laptop, rather than desktop (this wasn't clear in your original post). Have you tried playing the game with a USB mouse and keyboard? Does that alleviate the problem? Or does it happen with any keyboard and/or mouse? The more information you provide, the easier it is to solve your problem.

Kylehallas69 wrote:i have a normal English keyboard,

Again, "normal" is not helpful. This game is played around the world, and is developed by British developers. British keyboards are different enough from American keyboards that it caused me problems when I was over there a couple of years ago. I assume that you have a QWERTY keyboard / keyboard layout (as that is, generally speaking, a safe assumption for an English keyboard), but that doesn't completely answer the question.

Kylehallas69 wrote:windows 8.1 updated and legitimate.

That is helpful to know. If nothing else, it indicates that your drivers are probably up to date. It would still be useful to know what brand and model of machine you have.

Kylehallas69 wrote:Stop clutching at straws.

I am not clutching at straws. I am attempting to get you to provide more information so that I can try to help you solve the problem. If you don't want my help, please continue to be an ass, and I'll stop trying.

xander

EDIT: Given the screenshots, it seems that you are having the same problem reported in the developer forum (you will need access to read that post---assuming that you have paid for the game, you just need to link your game key to your forum account if you don't currently have access). Based on that thread, it might be a driver issue, requiring you to use an older version of the drivers for your graphics card.
Kylehallas69
level1
level1

Postby Kylehallas69 » Sun May 17, 2015 2:21 pm

Xander i don't mean to be funny but you're asking me all these questions like what keyboard you have etc. I'm not a computer wizard, i only play games on the custom built laptop i bought that's all, so when you ask me all these things like i need more details about your setup i just think what are you on about, it's like when you go to your doctor, they don't use full on medical jargon with you, they explain it to you so you can actually understand.

Secondly i don't know how to link my game code to my account and i also can't view the link you attached on your post because it says i am not authorised to view it.
xander
level5
level5

Postby xander » Sun May 17, 2015 8:42 pm

Kylehallas69 wrote:Xander i don't mean to be funny but you're asking me all these questions like what keyboard you have etc. I'm not a computer wizard, i only play games on the custom built laptop i bought that's all, so when you ask me all these things like i need more details about your setup i just think what are you on about, it's like when you go to your doctor, they don't use full on medical jargon with you, they explain it to you so you can actually understand.

1. If you don't know enough to troubleshoot your custom built laptop, then perhaps next time you should consider getting something that is not custom built, or accept the fact that some things are not going to work. Similarly, you shouldn't buy a car with a manual transmission if you don't know how to drive stick
  2. If you don't understand what is being asked for, there are many resources that can help. Google is a good place to start. I, however, am not going to hold your hand.
  3. If you go to the physician and say "My tum-tum hurts," he or she is going to ask a lot of questions to try to diagnose the problem. These questions might involve medical jargon like "allergies," "vomit," and "fever." If you, as a patient, cannot muster enough basic knowledge about how your body works to help a physician diagnose you, then, frankly, you deserve whatever happens to you. Particularly in an age when such information is readily available via a common portable device.
  4. It occurs to me that maybe you don't understand what "alpha" means. In your original post, you seemed upset that IV would release a game that had bugs. In point of fact, this game is still being developed. It isn't done yet, and is still buggy. Part of playing an alpha game is either living with bugs and hoping that someone else will report them with enough clarity to get them fixed, or providing enough information to allow the developers to track them down and fix them.

Kylehallas69 wrote:Secondly i don't know how to link my game code to my account and i also can't view the link you attached on your post because it says i am not authorised to view it.

You might try reading the support pages. The exact procedure depends a bit on where you bought the game.

xander
ladyterra
level0

Postby ladyterra » Sun May 17, 2015 10:06 pm

you know, I am having an issue with Prison Architect. I am highly experienced with computers and programs. I run a business on this type of thing. When I see someone treating customers so badly, and the person is not even in the company, it makes me think I should get my money back. Xander, I don't know who you are, but you need to take a step back. You are acting as the voice of the developer when (as far as I can tell) you aren't at all connected. You are extremely rude. If you don't wish to help folks, if you don't have the patience for inexperienced users, then don't. Ignore the requests.

Return to “General”