My time playing the iPad version (first impression)

The place for feedback about tablet versions of Prison Architect

Moderator: NBJeff

FamousTijmen
level0

My time playing the iPad version (first impression)

Postby FamousTijmen » Mon Apr 13, 2015 7:44 pm

I have played this game for around 30 minutes so far. This may not seem like a lot, but right now this is more of a 'first impression thing' rather than a full-scale review.

There are multiple problems with it, the most obvious one being that the intake doesn't work. You can't change it, so every day you will get all prisoners in the prisoner pool. For some people, this might not be a problem. For people like me, however, this is a game breaking issue. I usually play for multiple days until I have everything the way I want it, with most of the bureaucracy tree fully done. I just left the prisoners out on the street. I honestly didn't care for them and I wouldn't speed up my building simply because of a silly bug that will probably be resolved within the next few days (hopefully).

Speaking of the bureaucracy screen, the lawyer section is bugged as well. It was stuffed in the top, most of the research options (lawyer, death row, etc.) overlapping eachother, making it impossible to research it (I presume so anyway, I didn't test it out). The rest of the screen appeared to be fine, however.

The game itself runs smoother than I expected on my about-to-explode-iPad 2. When making a map, you can't select a map size. Note that this is not a bug, but an intended feature. If I understood correctly, the map size is selected on what iPad version you have. For my iPad, I believe this would be about the size of a small map on the PC version (possibly smaller). The zooming and the scrolling appears to be very sensitive and takes some time getting used to. If possible, it would be nice to be able to select the speed in the options menu. Also annoying, is the fact you can't move while using many of the features in the game. You have to be in 'default mode' to be able to move around. This means that when you're putting down objects or selecting rooms, you can't move (you can still zoom in and out, however). I found that the easiest way to get back to 'default mode' is to press the select button twice. Even though it would be nice to be able to move around without going into default mode, I think this really is just something that you can get used to.

The options menu is... lacking, to say the least. Of course, Prison Architect never had a 'booming' options menu, but they honestly could have spent a little more time looking through it. The time lapse option flicks in and out of reality, appearing when you click one of the other options and dissapearing when you click one again. If you click the time lapse option while it is 'excisting', it just closes the options menu. My game has also crashed once for no real reason while going through the options. Luckily, my game autosaved a mere few seconds before, so I didn't lose any progress. The option menu also has an option such as 'windowed mode'. What? I didn't try it out, but I would love to see how something like that could work on a tablet. Please, do show me.

I also found that where I thought I was tapping the screen wasn't where I was actually tapping it. They did talk about this on one of their Alpha videos and claimed to have fixed this. I'm not sure if this is just a personal problem, however, or if it is the case for everyone. I do have to say that it wasn't off by a lot, just enough to be fairly annoying. When building some foundations, it tended to select a block to the right of where I thought my finger actually was. Talking about foundations, there isn't a real 'cancel foundations' button. You can use the cancel job feature from one of the other screens, but then you have to select a different screen first. I found that by that time on 3x speed, the workers had already started.

All in all, my first thirty minutes weren't 'amazing'. It wasn't terrible either and it did feel like I was playing Prison Architect (so the experience didn't feel any different). Of course, this is a good thing because this means that the game is really just what the creators tried to make: PA on the tablet. I think that, with some more work done and some of the annoying bugs fixed, this could actually be a lot of fun. But as it is right now, I recommend to just stick to the PC version. Perhaps this would be fun to play on the plane or in the car, but not if there is a working computer nearby.

I'll play more of this tommorow. If I see anything new then, I might make another post (or just reply to this one)
IamPsF
level0

Re: My time playing the iPad version (first impression)

Postby IamPsF » Tue Apr 14, 2015 5:46 am

I have the same feelings on this it is fun. And just what I wanted to see. I was also afraid my iPad 2 would have trouble pushing it too. But seen to be good so far. We'll see when there are 300 to 500 people on the map. Over all happy with it just some things to tweak.
maquinn78
level0

Postby maquinn78 » Wed Apr 15, 2015 2:46 am

Just started playing it on my iPad 2. So far so good, but no prisoners yet. Getting used to rotating, placing and such items takes a little getting used to.
Gamecool 10
level1
level1

Postby Gamecool 10 » Wed Apr 15, 2015 5:28 am

Ah, I thought that was just me. My biggest issue is the prisoner intake. I prefer "gearing up", if you will for my prisoners. Keeping the game at a personal pace is one of my favorite aspects of PA.

The bureaucracy thing is kind of annoying as well.

But that's pretty much it for the most part. Played PA on a computer for about an hour to compare. Both are surprisingly similar. For a test release of a game currently in alpha testing, I'm impressed beyond belief!
TimMayle
level0

Postby TimMayle » Sat Apr 18, 2015 6:21 pm

I'm wondering it they used some kind of multiplatform compiler that would make the port very quick.
Also strugeling with intake. I thought i selected "never ending intake" option somewhere but no.
Still very impressed
Splitter
level0

Postby Splitter » Mon Apr 20, 2015 4:21 am

Agree with all of the ops bug statements. However, running on an ipad 3 is smooth and tbh very impressive.
A little worried about possibly being limited in map size based on ipad version, would prefer that left open to the user.

I will test a lot more once the intake bug is fixed. My brain doesnt work fast enough to cope with it. Plus money and space will quickly become an issue.

Good job. Look forward to intake fix.
TimMayle
level0

Postby TimMayle » Mon Apr 20, 2015 8:19 pm

Hey Splitter,

You could also load your save file on PC and stop Intake like I've done :)
I've installed diskaid as I did not want to install iTunes

Return to “Tablet Testing”