[SUGGESTION] Public opinion of prison

(previously 'DEVELOPER') Private forum for registered community members. To register, please visit www.prison-architect.com/register.

Moderator: NBJeff

KailanTheFanboy
level1
level1
Posts: 28
Joined: Mon Sep 15, 2014 9:53 pm

[SUGGESTION] Public opinion of prison

Postby KailanTheFanboy » Thu Mar 12, 2015 12:14 am

It seems to me like all our prisons are sealed off from the media, or in a parallel dimension where media sources are non-existent. I think that there should be some sort of meter or chart that records public opinion, and if it's too bad for too long it would be a cause of failure. It would be influenced by what your prisoners think of your prison when they're released, the number of deaths/escapes, unnecessary lockdown/searches/punishment, and how well maintained it is. Another possible feature would be warden/staff interviews conducted by a small news crew, which may have a direct influence on opinion, because they would be able to see weather or not there's crap all over the floors and armed prisoners wandering about secure areas. The prisoners might also be interviewed in the visitation area.
andrehsu
level1
level1
Posts: 36
Joined: Fri May 31, 2013 3:01 pm

Re: [SUGGESTION] Public opinion of prison

Postby andrehsu » Thu Mar 19, 2015 5:19 am

It is already sort of reflected in the grading screen. And armed guards are perfectly normal in patrol and such.
KailanTheFanboy
level1
level1
Posts: 28
Joined: Mon Sep 15, 2014 9:53 pm

Re: [SUGGESTION] Public opinion of prison

Postby KailanTheFanboy » Sun Mar 22, 2015 9:41 pm

andrehsu wrote:It is already sort of reflected in the grading screen. And armed guards are perfectly normal in patrol and such.

In a real world prison, you never should have armed guards inside the prison. Sure, its normal to have them guarding the perimeter or the entrances, but having them inside poses a huge safety issue. What if a prisoner takes him down and steals his gun? Big problem.
andrehsu
level1
level1
Posts: 36
Joined: Fri May 31, 2013 3:01 pm

Re: [SUGGESTION] Public opinion of prison

Postby andrehsu » Sun Mar 22, 2015 11:40 pm

In a real super max you will have guard towers. And public opinion is kind of a big thing to achieve before launch. Not that it's a bad idea.
perryliu97
level2
level2
Posts: 183
Joined: Wed Nov 21, 2012 11:40 pm

Re: [SUGGESTION] Public opinion of prison

Postby perryliu97 » Mon Mar 23, 2015 7:14 pm

I dunno. The game gives me a vibe that the prison is this random structure in the middle of a desert, away from civilisation and stuff.
HerrJoebob
level4
level4
Posts: 750
Joined: Sat Nov 24, 2012 8:57 pm
Location: Oregon

Re: [SUGGESTION] Public opinion of prison

Postby HerrJoebob » Tue Mar 24, 2015 6:06 pm

perryliu97 wrote:I dunno. The game gives me a vibe that the prison is this random structure in the middle of a desert, away from civilisation and stuff.


I've always thought the same, but as long as we have failure conditions this one seems compelling.
zbyrne
level2
level2
Posts: 77
Joined: Tue Feb 25, 2014 3:50 pm

Re: [SUGGESTION] Public opinion of prison

Postby zbyrne » Wed Mar 25, 2015 2:50 pm

an interesting concept, but as pointed out, somewhat already indicated in grading.

as a game mechanic, so as to create a challenge, certainly something could be done. Personally, it'd be something which does need doing at some point - eventually (and I've played many hundreds of hours by now) the actual building of a prison loses any real enjoyment. And no longer do I build my prisons piecemeal. A full plan is laid out from the beginning, and with sale of previous prisons, the prison is build swiftly as well (currently, I've build and fully outfitted a 400 capacity institution in 12 hours of play).

Ergo, a substantial aspect of the game is the management aspect of the prison, which let's be honest, largely comes down to establishing the correct regime/deployment, so as to keep your scum happy/suppressed. But there isn't really an ongoing management aspect - once you've got it, you can just leave it, and not change it again.

So perhaps some sort of challenge, as set by the game, in the form of targets. Prisons are obviously subject to Government/Corporate policy. "Achieve X with Y amount of money" etc. Perhaps, when you've built up your prison, to the point you consider it "finished" you can indicate as such and the game will then subject you to a series of mandatory objectives. It might be cost-cutting, or increasing capacity, but only using existing real estate. Maybe the Government of the day is considerably more to the left/right than your prison is, and demands more punishment/reform programs. Considering that prisons in the US, the UK, and much of Europe certainly, suffer from budget cuts and government targets, then why not our prisons too? Personally the game needs a post prison building game to play, so either better depth of the management aspect, or substantial improvement to the "get sent to your own jail for ten years" failure condition (so you'd actually want to be in the jail)
KirinFrost
level1
level1
Posts: 33
Joined: Wed Apr 02, 2014 10:53 am

Re: [SUGGESTION] Public opinion of prison

Postby KirinFrost » Wed Mar 25, 2015 6:46 pm

In real prisons im sure prisoners dont commit wrongdoings all the time >.<

Or if so, then surely their sentences should be extended.

i dont see how a prisoner in real life can steal weapons, attack countless prisoners in a riot and still doesnt have his sentence increased...
perryliu97
level2
level2
Posts: 183
Joined: Wed Nov 21, 2012 11:40 pm

Re: [SUGGESTION] Public opinion of prison

Postby perryliu97 » Wed Mar 25, 2015 10:16 pm

KirinFrost wrote:i dont see how a prisoner in real life can steal weapons, attack countless prisoners in a riot and still doesnt have his sentence increased...

If the various articles I've read over the years is anything to go by, prison violence and other general misconducts are extremely common. Generally, misconducts are punished via solitary confinement, refused parole and other things, but a retrial is not on the table, I don't think.
ryacko
level1
level1
Posts: 72
Joined: Sun Aug 30, 2009 8:51 am

Re: [SUGGESTION] Public opinion of prison

Postby ryacko » Fri Mar 27, 2015 10:33 am

KailanTheFanboy wrote:
andrehsu wrote:It is already sort of reflected in the grading screen. And armed guards are perfectly normal in patrol and such.

In a real world prison, you never should have armed guards inside the prison. Sure, its normal to have them guarding the perimeter or the entrances, but having them inside poses a huge safety issue. What if a prisoner takes him down and steals his gun? Big problem.

http://i.imgur.com/e4sgmwm.jpg

Indeed.

What I don't understand is why do guards suicidally attempt to tase a superhuman prisoner who apparently shrugs off tazes with ease and is armed with a shotgun and a large supply of ammo?
KailanTheFanboy
level1
level1
Posts: 28
Joined: Mon Sep 15, 2014 9:53 pm

Re: [SUGGESTION] Public opinion of prison

Postby KailanTheFanboy » Thu Apr 02, 2015 4:28 pm

ryacko wrote:
KailanTheFanboy wrote:
andrehsu wrote:It is already sort of reflected in the grading screen. And armed guards are perfectly normal in patrol and such.

In a real world prison, you never should have armed guards inside the prison. Sure, its normal to have them guarding the perimeter or the entrances, but having them inside poses a huge safety issue. What if a prisoner takes him down and steals his gun? Big problem.

http://i.imgur.com/e4sgmwm.jpg

Indeed.

What I don't understand is why do guards suicidally attempt to tase a superhuman prisoner who apparently shrugs off tazes with ease and is armed with a shotgun and a large supply of ammo?

Agreed!
KailanTheFanboy
level1
level1
Posts: 28
Joined: Mon Sep 15, 2014 9:53 pm

Re: [SUGGESTION] Public opinion of prison

Postby KailanTheFanboy » Thu Apr 02, 2015 4:29 pm

EVERYBODY, READ THIS
The point of this post isnt the guards or whatever. The point is the public opinion bit. Please make your comments about that.
perryliu97
level2
level2
Posts: 183
Joined: Wed Nov 21, 2012 11:40 pm

Re: [SUGGESTION] Public opinion of prison

Postby perryliu97 » Thu Apr 02, 2015 4:35 pm

The interview mechanic sounds intriguing for the campaign.

In terms of public opinion, the first version of the lawyer was kinda for that purpose. The lawyer would limit the negative effects of you being a really bad prison architect. Granted, it was more to do with limiting the legal ramifications, but the point still stands.

Public opinion would indeed by an interesting mechanic. Having to juggle between mindless bureaucratic madness, funding cuts, unreasonable government targets, and public opinion? That sounds like a GOTY to me, with the vibe of Papers,Please.
KailanTheFanboy
level1
level1
Posts: 28
Joined: Mon Sep 15, 2014 9:53 pm

Re: [SUGGESTION] Public opinion of prison

Postby KailanTheFanboy » Fri Apr 03, 2015 10:05 pm

perryliu97 wrote:The interview mechanic sounds intriguing for the campaign.

In terms of public opinion, the first version of the lawyer was kinda for that purpose. The lawyer would limit the negative effects of you being a really bad prison architect. Granted, it was more to do with limiting the legal ramifications, but the point still stands.

Public opinion would indeed by an interesting mechanic. Having to juggle between mindless bureaucratic madness, funding cuts, unreasonable government targets, and public opinion? That sounds like a GOTY to me, with the vibe of Papers,Please.

This is some very interesting input, thanks

Return to “Community Members”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 48 guests