General chit-chat and minor questions about just about anything

Moderator: NBJeff

pijlbord
level1
level1

Full lockup prison?

Postby pijlbord » Sat Mar 21, 2015 9:40 am

Hello there,

So, I've logged in quite a few hours in PA (about 220 right now I believe) and I'm looking for a challenge. I now run 400 prisoners without a hitch, my latest max-sec being incident free for about as long as I've been playing it, with a reoffend rate of about 19%. Most of my prisons rely heavily on reform. My latest prison has a private shower room in every cell, this pretty much eliminates the need to have my prisoners suppressed by armed guards. (as they won't fight in the communal showers in the morning) No fights, no murders, everybody gets to study and work and all that nice stuff.

So anyway, I've been playing the nice warden long enough I think.

In my mind I would quite like to play a sandbox in wich i'm running some kind of 'worst of the worst' type prisoners, the kind that you would need to keep seperate form one another the entire time.
It would have to look something like this:

-Prisoners never come into contact with another prisoner
-No work shedule, timetable would contain mostly lock-op during the day
-Meals in cell offc, I have the mod for this
-A bigger cell, containing most of the needs, e.g. phone, tv, shower
-from the cell a prisoner can step into his own private yard, for 'airing'.

I've tested this out with 24 prisoners. I got the design down good enough. It looks like something I could scale up to a much bigger scale. I also like the simplicity of it. A prisoners is always in the same 7x7 room (either his cell, or the private yard attached to his cell).
The only problem is, offc, they all go nuts, all the time. It would seem they don't like being in a cell 24/7, who knew. What little brats they are.

Does anyone has any experience running a hellhole of this kind? Is the game even supposed to be run like this? It would seem you're pretty fine if you wanna run a nice little caring place, but going hardcore on them just gives you so so so much trouble. I had only 24 prisoners and they kept fighting and running crazy all the time, even with a lot of guards/armed guys/dogs around them.
Just giving them free time the entire time they are awake does fixes some of this, but then you get the penalties for that. Giving them more than 4 hours a day of lockup just makes them go nuts, even though they have everything they need in their cell (except exercice need, this is in the yard).

Any suggestions?
Threehorns
level3
level3

Re: Full lockup prison?

Postby Threehorns » Sat Mar 21, 2015 6:36 pm

they go nuts on the "Freedom" need?
Fisher27
level1
level1

Postby Fisher27 » Sun Mar 22, 2015 8:20 am

I tried keeping legendary prisoners in their own personal segregation. Each had a private canteen and library within their little block. All needs can be met within the cell except literacy and food (without a mod). You can throw an area rug under their TV (prayer mat) as well.

The only problem is you will eventually have an employee (cook, gardener, or janitor) meet his doom. I almost had it working using logic circuits that prevented the employee from coming in when the prisoner was out of his cell. I lined the entire hallway, canteen, and cell with pressure plates. But until IV gives us a motion sensor, or a pressure plate that works under furniture, it isn't going to happen. If the prisoner is seated on a bench or in bed, it would allow the employee to access the area.

If you're going sandbox mode, and don't care about space, you can put each prisoner to work in their own 3x3 cleaning cupboard or small laundry room. Keeping them working will help their reform.

19% seems a little high for re-offending. Make sure there's enough jobs for prisoners. This is my latest prison. Admitedly, there's only 1 full-term release so far. That will increase it in the future if they haven't been reformed.

andrehsu
level1
level1

Postby andrehsu » Sun Mar 22, 2015 3:05 pm

And I am sitting here with my 34% reoffending rate :(
andrehsu
level1
level1

Postby andrehsu » Sun Mar 22, 2015 3:08 pm

Fisher27 wrote:I tried keeping legendary prisoners in their own personal segregation. Each had a private canteen and library within their little block. All needs can be met within the cell except literacy and food (without a mod). You can throw an area rug under their TV (prayer mat) as well.

The only problem is you will eventually have an employee (cook, gardener, or janitor) meet his doom. I almost had it working using logic circuits that prevented the employee from coming in when the prisoner was out of his cell. I lined the entire hallway, canteen, and cell with pressure plates. But until IV gives us a motion sensor, or a pressure plate that works under furniture, it isn't going to happen. If the prisoner is seated on a bench or in bed, it would allow the employee to access the area.

If you're going sandbox mode, and don't care about space, you can put each prisoner to work in their own 3x3 cleaning cupboard or small laundry room. Keeping them working will help their reform.

19% seems a little high for re-offending. Make sure there's enough jobs for prisoners. This is my latest prison. Admitedly, there's only 1 full-term release so far. That will increase it in the future if they haven't been reformed.

What is your parole cut-off?
KirinFrost
level1
level1

Postby KirinFrost » Thu Mar 26, 2015 5:39 pm

Could you actually post a screenshot of your prison as well? Wanna create a prison with NO incidents at all like you mentioned :p

And my reoffending rate is 2%, same for the parole cutoff rate.

Any prisoner who is about to be released and with a high rate are simply starved to death in solitary cells with the doors locked shut manually :D
pijlbord
level1
level1

Postby pijlbord » Fri Mar 27, 2015 9:08 am

I'm so sorry about not replying! Crazy week at work, I just forgot I made a topic.

So, a picture of my prison.I wanted to experiment with cells with a shower room in the cells.And also with everything as much 'together' as possible. So one big canteen, a row full of cleaning closets, etc. I don't really like the visual layout, but it was fun to think about and plan. Also, all the workers in the cleaning 'hallway' will go clean the same room at the same time. So everynow and then i'll have about 100 prisoners entering the canteen to clean it. Makes for some weird views. I much more wanted them to spread out.
Also I made a mistake with my reoffend rate. I had about 70 released and my rate is 2%. Every rating (except health which is at zero) is 7 or above.
Pretty much incident free, except in my max-sec are, but no escapes or death at alle (day 47)

Also: they don't really go nuts on the freedom need. They go nuts because the regime is lock-up. Like, crazy crazy, all at the same time. If i change the regime to full-time freetime, they are pretty much okay. But the thing is, nothing changes. They are still alone in their cell, they can do the same things in it while either lock-up of freetime. So it seems they just react violent to lockup, even if in practice, it means the same cell and same routine and stuff to do. And that would be okay, but i want to rule with an iron fist, so I don't want the penalty for giving free time all the time. I want full time lockup. But it seems the game isn't meant to be played like that. (for clarification, the full time lock up thing is just something i tried with 24 prisoners, does not apply to the screenshot underneat)

Ytterby
level0

Postby Ytterby » Thu Apr 07, 2016 3:11 pm

I have also tried to experiment with lockup ( Mainly to increase the security grading without suppressing them)

First of all, They seem to get really angry if you lock them up during sleep hours*
( Why you would want to be locked up in the middle of the day rather than during the night is a mystery(Yes, I know they want to dig tunnels but not ALL of them are digging tunnels))

Lockup (If not scheduled during sleephours ) seem to increase the freedom need by as much as yard time decreases it (Not compared it against freetime yet) however, The normal regime, like sleep, could also cause an increase in the freedom need.

Slightly off topic - Does anyone know how needs and reform programs exactly work? I wonder if I could get away with lots of yellow needs.

*Sleep hours are from 10PM to 8AM
5B7f9A1XQioOmbpz
level1
level1

Postby 5B7f9A1XQioOmbpz » Thu Apr 07, 2016 9:33 pm

The way I'd go about accomplishing this is to simply have them Locked up for most of the day except for 3 x 2 hour mealtimes. And then slapping quite a lot of the tools required to meet their critical needs in the canteen(s). Of course, this goes against your requirement of them having no contact whatsoever with other prisoners but, well, as you mentioned already you actually already need a mod to accomplish it now. To feed them.

So, basically, the game really is not meant to be played exactly like this. So you could consider changing your goals so as to allow your goals and what the game can do to meet halfway.

So, add canteens and add a specific SuperMax section where you DO play like you intended originally. Some prisoners do indeed need to be kept away from the general population. In particular, Legendaries and Volatiles. The rest can actually be kept relatively calm even when in the same canteen. Even if you're full on Max Sec.

Edit: Just tried it on my current 200-capacity Min Sec 8 hours of work-a-day prison, by simply replacing the 8 hours of work with 8 hours of Lockup and, for the most part, Needs were still mostly in the Greens but I did not like what it was doing to Freedom and, as a result, the global danger level of the prison. Not sure you'd want to go full Lockup. It'd probably end up having numerous incidents each and every day.
seesaw
level2
level2

Postby seesaw » Fri Apr 08, 2016 12:43 am

Have in mind that they are going to be very upset, maybe its not the best to put all of them together in a canteen.

I could suggest that that yard for each cell be actually a yard, so you can set yard hours, and each one will go to their own yard. maybe you could do the same with a 1x1 shower room.

man, i want to see that prison with 0% re offending rate. And it has not even the stats at maximum, punishment, reform, etc.
5B7f9A1XQioOmbpz
level1
level1

Postby 5B7f9A1XQioOmbpz » Fri Apr 08, 2016 12:48 am

[quote="seesaw"]man, i want to see that prison with 0% re offending rate. And it has not even the stats at maximum, punishment, reform, etc./quote]Watch closely -- it's only 37 prisoners released. It's fairly easy to get very good (or very bad) numbers over such small sample sizes. Wait till that particular prison is at a few hundred released. If it's still at 0%, well... brilliant. But I'd not bet any kind of money on it. ;)

Return to “General”