Pastafarianism not represented in the game. FIX PLS!!

(previously 'DEVELOPER') Private forum for registered community members. To register, please visit www.prison-architect.com/register.

Moderator: NBJeff

5hifty
level4
level4

Re: Pastafarianism not represented in the game. FIX PLS!!

Postby 5hifty » Sun Mar 22, 2015 4:52 am

Not religious.

Also just for the record, I like the 'dogma' of Pastafarianism - the idea that religious people shouldn't get preferential treatment, coupled with pointing out the logical fallacy of intelligent design is genius - and it became one of the primary religions that I used as a joke in surveys and the like (in place of Jedi). I even contemplated going through the effort of getting my license photo taken with a pasta strainer on my head - its even more relevant now in my country then it was when I first heard about Pastafarianism back in the day, given the current outcry over burkas being worn in public, and personally so now that I am a avid motorcyclist (no helmet laws, while religious head wear gets a pass).

My point is that the 'dogma' of Pastafarianism is about questioning ideals and beliefs - putting them under the microscope and asking the difficult questions, while also pointing out the error in any one religious 'theory' (because that's what they are, theory's - with each one both equally as right and as ludicrous as the next) getting to teach their belief as anything more then what it is.

Now while I agree with Bobby Henderson, in that it is just as likely that, if there is all knowing and all seeing creator, that he is a ball of spaghetti and meatballs as it is he is a huge white guy with a beard and a robe, and I love the argument that if you are going to give some time the the guy yelling about the zombie son of god rising from the dead, you really have to give equal time to the guy yelling about a food monster using his appendages to alter scientific results - both equally provable and disprovable - I still believe that you would be hard pressed to find someone that both believes in this religion and its god and is unaware of its existence primarily as a thought experiment.

Which brings me to my point - this guy acts like a zealot for a religion which sorta requires for it membership not being a zealot, he is acting so over the top that the guys from Monty Python are sitting up and taking notes. Now sure you can say that making the argument for Pastafarianism being displayed equally is the dogma of Pastafarianism, and you would be right, and had the argument been made my someone else, in a different way, I probably would have taken his side, but for the reasons stated above, its plain to see that he's just some guy that's bored and wanted a rise (coincidentally 50% of the reason Im even making this post) and thus is a troll.

Also, Xander, this is the exact reason that I say dont feed the trolls - this forum is next to dead now (granted a lot of what there is to say, has been said, a hundred times over) and one of the only active topics is a argument about god....
Threehorns
level3
level3

Postby Threehorns » Sun Mar 22, 2015 8:03 am

Cool! :mrgreen:
andrehsu
level1
level1

Postby andrehsu » Sun Mar 22, 2015 8:29 am

A hypothesis. A hypothesis that God might exist. It is not a theory, like evolution or gravity is. You are one of those who mislead people and cause them to make videos based around the premise of the "theory" of evolution
5hifty
level4
level4

Postby 5hifty » Sun Mar 22, 2015 5:06 pm

Obvious troll is obvious.

Think you need a dictionary.

Theory - an idea or set of ideas that is intended to explain facts or events.

A theory isn't a definite - granted it can mean the most logical thing, such as the theory of evolution. The difference between a theory and a fact is the ability to test and prove - in the context that I used it in theory and hypotheses are synonyms. If you could create a test that could repeatable prove the exisitance of god it would be a fact, until then, the existence of any god is simply a theory, reguardless of its likelihood.
andrehsu
level1
level1

Postby andrehsu » Sun Mar 22, 2015 11:23 pm

Wouldn't you agree that the scientific definition of theory work better in the scenario?

Obvious troll is obvious.
Threehorns
level3
level3

Postby Threehorns » Mon Mar 23, 2015 7:22 am

you guys do know that it is possible to setup up an experiment to test whether or not God exists. That would make it a Theory.

1) Make a choice option where people can excercise their Free Will with a Choice where one option benifits themselfs and the other only benifits their God.

Example:
Does your religion allow for the existance of Pastafarianism
A) Yes
B) No
C) I'm not religious
D) Pastafarianism??? LOL, are you nuts?

2) Test your answer against your Free Will.
3) Wait for me to tell you that you were excersising your God's will within your religion.

NOTE: There is only one correct answer using your Free Will.
5hifty
level4
level4

Postby 5hifty » Mon Mar 23, 2015 9:23 am

Threehorns wrote:you guys do know that it is possible to setup up an experiment to test whether or not God exists. That would make it a Theory.

No it wouldn't. If you could prove god existed it would be a fact. As I said, a theory is an idea yet to be proven.
Threehorns
level3
level3

Postby Threehorns » Mon Mar 23, 2015 9:40 am

5hifty wrote:
Threehorns wrote:you guys do know that it is possible to setup up an experiment to test whether or not God exists. That would make it a Theory.

No it wouldn't. If you could prove god existed it would be a fact. As I said, a theory is an idea yet to be proven.

ehm, you quote me, yet you show no reason in relation to the quote. Although I did use theory. but that is the only thing in common.
Threehorns
level3
level3

Postby Threehorns » Mon Mar 23, 2015 1:08 pm

5hifty wrote:

I've given your answer some second thought, as being an actual answer to the question choices, where you decided to choose an answer out of "Free Will", and not the ones provided by me.

Assuming you're an atheïst, than your God would want you to deny the existance of a God and proclaim the impossibility of ever proving there is a God, as this might cause your God to exist as ... Fact. ... Which may not be, within an Atheïstic religion.

If we compare your "Free Will" answer to your God's wishes, than I can only find you were not able to excercise your "Free Will".
With the mention, that your answer was in no way sensible towards the quote, except as an explicit intention to comply to someone elses wishes. For example, by your God.

Ofc, with this i have to provide the actual and only correct answer, which is that Introversion decides about Pastafarianism, but we can voice our opinion. That is Free Will, both for us and for Introversion. So none of the options provided were one of "Free Will", although one was highly opinionated and a possible "Free Will" answer, but still incorrect.

Cheers, and ofc .... Pasta! ... Peace! :wink:
xander
level5
level5

Postby xander » Mon Mar 23, 2015 2:42 pm

I find it really kind of ironic, 5hifty, that you chose to call me out for feeding trolls, yet you are the one spend the most time and effort responding to people that you have labeled trolls.

xander
andrehsu
level1
level1

Postby andrehsu » Mon Mar 23, 2015 3:34 pm

Also, people wonder why choose pastafarian over other religions. I dont know how much clearer it can get, because the obvious reasons are in the first post. Also there are substantial evidence for pastafarian, making it even more logical to implement pastafarian.

Pasta... Peace?
Jailer
level2
level2

Postby Jailer » Mon Mar 23, 2015 4:44 pm

andrehsu wrote:Also, people wonder why choose pastafarian over other religions.

Or over logical conjecture based on overwhelming observable evidence...
5hifty
level4
level4

Postby 5hifty » Mon Mar 23, 2015 4:57 pm

xander wrote:I find it really kind of ironic, 5hifty, that you chose to call me out for feeding trolls, yet you are the one spend the most time and effort responding to people that you have labeled trolls.

xander

I'm bored. I work night shift and there isn't much to do while I wait for that train home other then google stuff on my iphone (also the reason for a decent amount of my spelling/weird errors - touchscreens suck). I use to read the forums, but now that nothing's happening not much more to do then re-read xkcd comics and argue with trolls.

I use the steam forums for the same reason.
czar mohab
level2
level2

Postby czar mohab » Mon Mar 23, 2015 10:43 pm

I'm going to sidestep the major argument of what is and is not religion. Not because it isn't important, but it is a job for the proper authorities in the matter and not someone like myself and especially not right this moment.

I will, however, point this out:

andrehsu wrote:In their Alpha 29 video, I found the sprite for The Flying Spaghetti Monster to be missing. I find this highly offensive, as introversion software inc. did not consider The Flying Spaghetti Monster to be of an important status.

You're asking for the religion's deity to be included. That's like asking for Zeus. For either of those, or any other deity, I would have to openly and blatantly object to their inclusion, and to the inclusion of any other deity. Do note that I said, and am referring to, deity.

The Devs did a stellar job including religion in the game. They went for the more major and recognizable belief systems and included a representative from them. With literally thousands to choose from, they did a pretty bang-up job. They did, however, miss one. While it is not the one that you are asking for, you did bring it up and point out the discrepancy.

In the A29 video Chris made it very very clear that they were trying to be as generic as possible with what they chose as representatives of religion in-game. Christianity, as an example, has hundreds of denominations - how can you choose just one sprite (okay - you got me, its 5 or whatever to make the dude, but you know what I mean)? You go with the most identifiable. The same goes for all the others (admittedly, I do not know if "denomination" is the correct term for the others but since we all should know what I mean, it is the word that works and will be used). They can do it for one more. "Other". The lump sum accumulation of all the rest of the religions and denominations that can not otherwise be recognizable by the sprites currently in-game and virtually eliminates the "my religion isn't represented" argument.

Whether the sprite is male or female shouldn't matter, only that they are well dressed to look the part. Hell, reuse the lawyer sprites if it is easier.

If the "Other" religious representative is used in game, you should be proud that your post helped get it there, andrehsu, and not be upset that Pastafarianism isn't fully represented - none of them truly are.

The Czar
knoest26
level5
level5

Postby knoest26 » Mon Mar 23, 2015 11:19 pm

5hifty wrote:Also, Xander, this is the exact reason that I say dont feed the trolls - this forum is next to dead now (granted a lot of what there is to say, has been said, a hundred times over) and one of the only active topics is a argument about god....

Sadly I completely agree with 5hifty on this....

I really love the game, put a lot of hours in it and had a lot of fun. I really enjoyed modding the game and helping people out on the forums but there appears to be a really annoying pattern in this all.

Whenever I went modding I found that the current system doesn't allow for massive changes, a lot of requests for a bigger moddingsystem, no response.
A lot of really good suggestings on the forums that the community discussed, but rarely a reply from a developer stating their stance on the matter.
Nearly all reasonable suggestions have been posted by now and all thats left is telling people they should search first or telling them where to register their productkey so they can access the developerforum.

I've said it before and I stand by it, there just isn't enough response from the devs for this whole 'community feedback' thing to work. I mean, why would you posting a suggestion when you will just get some other users saying '+1' and the thread ending after 4 posts without a word from the devs. There is this whole illusion you get when watching the Alpha videos where it looks as if the developers really share stories with the community but unfortunately we never get to really speak to the developers about suggestions and issues. As an example of what I would consider a good response I would like to show you this blog from a developer from Space Engineers, he posts a kind of roadmap every few weeks just so we know what to expect from the updates and for the community to prepare and discuss the new features. This is something small Chris could easily write after every Alpha.

Return to “Community Members”