[Suggestion]Parole Complications/ Suggestions of

(previously 'DEVELOPER') Private forum for registered community members. To register, please visit www.prison-architect.com/register.

Moderator: NBJeff

Nibejeebies
level0

[Suggestion]Parole Complications/ Suggestions of

Postby Nibejeebies » Mon Feb 02, 2015 6:05 pm

The idea of Parole is a good one, it is a feature that is welcome, however I have noticed some issues that are pretty severe to the system.
After watching the alpha 29 video, the devs were talking about adding a modifier to the prisoner's mood if their hearing was over due.

The problem with this is going to be in big high pop prisons. I currently am running a prision that has some issues of its own, current PoP is 174. Of this I have 88 prisoners due for a hearing. The issue here is even with canceling all tazer cert classes, I can only run three or four hearings a day with out the chief and warden becoming overly tired.

My suggestion to combat this is adding a couple of new admin staff members.

I worked for Tennessee Department of Corrections for three years in two state prisons before obtaining a Paramedic License and moved to the ambulance for work. In each facility I worked at, we had two to three assistant wardens. We also had a very structured paramilitary type ranking system with the CO's. We had the Chief, Assistant Chief, and then department heads such as a Captain that was in charge of a particular Housing Unit.

Now I don't think the game needs that much, it could use some form of additional structure in this system.
Here is one configuration that was running in my head:
1x Warden
3x Assistant Wardens (mostly for or only for parole, or with the addition to listen to prisoner complaints that give a calming status effect)
1xChief
4x Captains (To serve as the chief in Parole, One for each type of security (1 for Minimal, 1 for Normal, 1 for Max, One for Super max, the PC can be handled by the Chief himself or by the super max captain))

Another thought that I had about this system is that the hearings could be reduced to 30 minute blocks that would allow several more hearings each day.

Hopefully one of the Devs will read this or reach out and I can share any and all information (that's not classified) that I can.

Also... Can we please for the love of the health of my prisons be allowed to use deployment for doctors that refuse to stay in the hospital if you have more than one?
Last edited by Nibejeebies on Wed Feb 04, 2015 1:14 am, edited 1 time in total.
HerrJoebob
level4
level4

Re: Parole Complications/ Suggestions of

Postby HerrJoebob » Mon Feb 02, 2015 7:02 pm

I agree 100% with the parole comments. My current prison has over 400 prisoners, and with medium risk intake open the "due for parole" number loses ground every day.

A big part of the problem is prisoners coming in when they're already due for parole; now I think of it, that may be a bug.
haflax
level0

Postby haflax » Mon Feb 02, 2015 7:16 pm

+1

Would love to see something along the lines of captains and assistant wardens. At a minimum they would be a great way to help with parole hearings without feeling gamey. Not sure what else the devs would want them to do, but giving extra pieces for the awesome modding community to work with couldn't hurt either.
Roy974
level1
level1

Postby Roy974 » Mon Feb 02, 2015 7:41 pm

Yes agree my 500 cap prison has 178 up for parole and I run 3 sessions a day but its not helping fast enough and the problem is some prisoners are getting angry because they didn't get to be seen before their time was up causing fights. Maybe a new room type could be added here. Waiting room where the next person for parole goes 30 minutes before his hearing to meet up with his lawyer so they can go over things between them. Then when that person is in the parole room the next person waiting for his hearing will head to the waiting room to talk with his lawyer. As stated by "Nibejeebies " the hearing time for each prisoner could be reduced 30 minutes blocks allowing for more prisoners to be seen each day which for large prisons is a big is important.
dreadicon
level0

Postby dreadicon » Tue Feb 03, 2015 7:16 pm

Personally, I don't understand why the session lasts more than an hour, tops. Considering the amount of time other programs take, and the time compression of the game, it should really take much less time. Unless parole hearings take 4+ days of 100% dedicated attention from lawyer, prisoner, warden, and chief ;) But even at 1 hour, a large min sec prison could get overloaded due to the short length of sentences, so something like assistants and multiple chiefs is probably the best solution in the long run. I have had 2 per day in my prison for weeks (prison that I added the parole room at 60 prisoners, 23 up for parole), and I still haven't pulled it below 10. (as above, due to it being 80% min sec)
Robbedem
level2
level2

Postby Robbedem » Tue Feb 03, 2015 9:19 pm

This is indeed a problem.
A large prison receiving about 8 prisoner per day on average, would have to be able to handle >8parole hearings per day (if not too much prisoners die in prison ;) ) This is currently impossible to achieve...
Person012345
level2
level2

Re: [Suggestion]Parole Complications/ Suggestions of

Postby Person012345 » Wed Feb 04, 2015 10:32 am

I'm losing ground with 300 prisoners and no intake. It's clear that we need to be able to run more sessions than we currently can, whether that means making them significantly shorter or adding assistants who can do them concurrently. I would favour (unlimited) assistants, otherwise at some point you're just going to run into the same problem again.
HerrJoebob
level4
level4

Postby HerrJoebob » Wed Feb 04, 2015 6:07 pm

Person012345 wrote:I would favour (unlimited) assistants, otherwise at some point you're just going to run into the same problem again.

I think the worst case for # of parole meetings per day would be the average intake rate times 2, assuming no prisoners are paroled and they each get 2 shots at parole. So like 25 (?) per day... But more realistically 10-15 per day for a reform-focused prison.
roadrage
level1
level1

Postby roadrage » Wed Feb 04, 2015 6:40 pm

I agree, 4 game hours is way too long for a parole hearing. 15-30 minutes maximum, plus trigger the prisoner to head to the parole room 5-10 minutes before the hearing is scheduled would up the efficiency greatly. It would also be nice for the prisoners to be able to go to parole hearings regardless of the regime, not only during work time. As a matter of fact, that would be better for all reform programs not related to prison labor. The only two times I could see to disallow parole hearings would be shower and eat.
ble210
level1
level1

Postby ble210 » Wed Feb 04, 2015 7:47 pm

Yeah, there is a lot of work that needs to be done on the parole system. As of now, it takes too long, there isn't much interaction from the player, and it ends up being overly burdensome for the prison.
snarst
level2
level2

Postby snarst » Wed Feb 04, 2015 8:04 pm

An hour would be great, fast and can do more than 3 or 4 a day. In the mean time anyone know where we can mod the files while we wait?
Last edited by snarst on Thu Feb 05, 2015 12:12 am, edited 1 time in total.
Person012345
level2
level2

Postby Person012345 » Wed Feb 04, 2015 10:37 pm

roadrage wrote:I agree, 4 game hours is way too long for a parole hearing. 15-30 minutes maximum, plus trigger the prisoner to head to the parole room 5-10 minutes before the hearing is scheduled would up the efficiency greatly. It would also be nice for the prisoners to be able to go to parole hearings regardless of the regime, not only during work time. As a matter of fact, that would be better for all reform programs not related to prison labor. The only two times I could see to disallow parole hearings would be shower and eat.

Allow all programs to be run during both work time and free time. Make the AI schedule the same way as it does now so that if micromanagement is not researched it keeps it to work hours.

Return to “Community Members”