PA on console? Your thoughts.

(previously 'DEVELOPER') Private forum for registered community members. To register, please visit www.prison-architect.com/register.

Moderator: NBJeff

User avatar
xander
level5
level5
Posts: 16869
Joined: Thu Oct 21, 2004 11:41 pm
Location: Highland, CA, USA
Contact:

Re: PA on console? Your thoughts.

Postby xander » Sat Jan 31, 2015 6:21 pm

I get the impression that IV are done with consoles. I could be wrong, but that is the vibe I get off of IV's history.

xander
User avatar
blipadouzi
level4
level4
Posts: 567
Joined: Fri Sep 06, 2013 5:35 pm
Location: Canada
Contact:

Re: PA on console? Your thoughts.

Postby blipadouzi » Sat Jan 31, 2015 6:41 pm

xander wrote:I get the impression that IV are done with consoles. I could be wrong, but that is the vibe I get off of IV's history.

xander


Did you watch the A29 video? Mark and Chris spent a good 5 mins talking about PA on console.
thekillergreece
level4
level4
Posts: 876
Joined: Wed Jun 12, 2013 1:31 pm
Location: Ammm...Greece maybe?

Re: PA on console? Your thoughts.

Postby thekillergreece » Sat Jan 31, 2015 6:58 pm

blipadouzi wrote:
xander wrote:I get the impression that IV are done with consoles. I could be wrong, but that is the vibe I get off of IV's history.

xander


Did you watch the A29 video? Mark and Chris spent a good 5 mins talking about PA on console.


And what did they say? Anything if they could port it to consoles one day? I cannot hear well..
Inge Jones
level2
level2
Posts: 236
Joined: Tue Jul 29, 2014 9:15 am

Re: PA on console? Your thoughts.

Postby Inge Jones » Sat Jan 31, 2015 8:57 pm

blipadouzi wrote:Did you watch the A29 video? Mark and Chris spent a good 5 mins talking about PA on console.


Oh, I thought they were talking about android and ipad tablets rather than console?
User avatar
blipadouzi
level4
level4
Posts: 567
Joined: Fri Sep 06, 2013 5:35 pm
Location: Canada
Contact:

Re: PA on console? Your thoughts.

Postby blipadouzi » Sat Jan 31, 2015 9:15 pm

Inge Jones wrote:
blipadouzi wrote:Did you watch the A29 video? Mark and Chris spent a good 5 mins talking about PA on console.


Oh, I thought they were talking about android and ipad tablets rather than console?


Argh... now with all this back and forth, I'm going to have to rewatch it. I'm not sure anymore lol. I thought they mentioned both consoles and portables. I'll get to y'all (unless someone else watches it before me :P)

EDIT: http://youtu.be/CltK6AiV0TI?t=3m "Mark talking getting a partner for exploitation onto consoles"
Inge Jones
level2
level2
Posts: 236
Joined: Tue Jul 29, 2014 9:15 am

Re: PA on console? Your thoughts.

Postby Inge Jones » Sat Jan 31, 2015 9:23 pm

Hmm.... well the producer definitely mentioned ipad a lot during it. Maybe that was what they were just going to try in this coming month, as the experiment target.
User avatar
knoest26
level5
level5
Posts: 1380
Joined: Thu Jul 11, 2013 6:55 pm
Location: The Netherlands
Contact:

Re: PA on console? Your thoughts.

Postby knoest26 » Sat Jan 31, 2015 11:58 pm

Drakexz wrote:
thekillergreece wrote:I would love PA be ported to PS4 once they finish the PC ones. PS4 has much stronger processor to handle big games, so why not PA? By the way, it also has touchpad, which is similar to mouse of PC.


Haha, nice joke. The performance of any console is nothing against an "up to date" gaming pc. The reason why most people think the console is as powerfull as any gaming pc, is because the games available on the console are specially optimized for the hardware of the console.

Tried to explain him that a dozen times now, he still thinks it would work.

Sure you could get Prison Architect to work on a console but let's think about placing an object for example (quite a vital part of PA).
You place objects based on a grid and the most common way to navigate through that would be the D-pad or analog stick where a flick to the right would switch your cursor one square to the right. So let's try this out, open your console and type this sentence into a search bar somewhere: "This kind of movement is fucking slow and annoying".
You could also allow a kind of free aim so you could just flick your analog stick in the direction you wish to go but since joysticks have massive deadzones this would be even worse.

The biggest reason people seem to want PA on consoles is because they think it's more powerfull but they forget that PA isn't optimized very well yet. Once PA reaches Beta and optimizations start rolling in this issue will slowly dissolve. You can't think of how an unoptimized game runs on a PC and think it's the same as how your console can run Far Cry 4 but your PC can't(although Ubisoft games aren't the most optimized things either :P ).
User avatar
xander
level5
level5
Posts: 16869
Joined: Thu Oct 21, 2004 11:41 pm
Location: Highland, CA, USA
Contact:

Re: PA on console? Your thoughts.

Postby xander » Sun Feb 01, 2015 12:25 am

blipadouzi wrote:
xander wrote:I get the impression that IV are done with consoles. I could be wrong, but that is the vibe I get off of IV's history.

xander


Did you watch the A29 video? Mark and Chris spent a good 5 mins talking about PA on console.

Yeah, but Mark appears to be quite against that idea. I wouldn't bet on it happening.

xander
izny
level1
level1
Posts: 17
Joined: Tue Jan 20, 2015 4:27 pm

Re: PA on console? Your thoughts.

Postby izny » Sun Feb 01, 2015 1:10 am

When was suicide day again?
henke37
level2
level2
Posts: 156
Joined: Thu Jul 11, 2013 11:22 pm
Location: Sweden

Re: PA on console? Your thoughts.

Postby henke37 » Sun Feb 01, 2015 1:47 am

Presumably the day when the most people suicide.
thekillergreece
level4
level4
Posts: 876
Joined: Wed Jun 12, 2013 1:31 pm
Location: Ammm...Greece maybe?

Re: PA on console? Your thoughts.

Postby thekillergreece » Sun Feb 01, 2015 7:40 am

xander wrote:
blipadouzi wrote:
xander wrote:I get the impression that IV are done with consoles. I could be wrong, but that is the vibe I get off of IV's history.

xander


Did you watch the A29 video? Mark and Chris spent a good 5 mins talking about PA on console.

Yeah, but Mark appears to be quite against that idea. I wouldn't bet on it happening.

xander


Against the consoles because of the failed game of Multiwnia on consoles(Xbox 360) if I remember, due to bad marketing?
Tristano
level0
Posts: 9
Joined: Fri Nov 07, 2014 12:50 pm

Re: PA on console? Your thoughts.

Postby Tristano » Sun Feb 01, 2015 12:55 pm

knoest26 wrote:Sure you could get Prison Architect to work on a console but let's think about placing an object for example (quite a vital part of PA).
You place objects based on a grid and the most common way to navigate through that would be the D-pad or analog stick where a flick to the right would switch your cursor one square to the right. So let's try this out, open your console and type this sentence into a search bar somewhere: "This kind of movement is fucking slow and annoying".
You could also allow a kind of free aim so you could just flick your analog stick in the direction you wish to go but since joysticks have massive deadzones this would be even worse.


Come to think about ... XBox-One'rs could resort to Kinect--could even be healthy sport: imagine a 20-minute swimmin-in-the-air session just to try to zoom into a specific room by waving your arms, and then juggling your hands to select an area and going through the varioues sub-menus! Amazing ... Possibly the Kinect-API could be expanded upon so that it will recognize when the player holds special houseold items in his hands (spoons, forks, ecc.) as an indication that he is working on a specific feature. I can easily visualize myself in the center of my bedroom, in front of a table fool of spoons, forks, sticks, and similia, "orchestrating" my prison to the Kinect!

Else, IV could come up with some new hardware contoler, some kind of wi-fi tablet which interacts with lego-like building blocks. PA could ship with a box of 500 prisoner pawns (in different colors, according to security regime), 100 guards, a few dog handlers plus all other pawns needed (warden, ecc.). It "might" increase the cost of the final game, but it would surely be a deterrent to piracy (and to the purchase of the game also).

If consoles producers were a bit broader minded they could have invested some more energy on touch-screen compatibility also. Like 3D monitors/Tv, touch-screen is another screen technology which is gradually becoming more frequent. I mean, consoles have long-market-lifes, you still find many people with PS-2. Distinction between home-tv and monitors is gradually fading away with new graphics cards. Touch screen technology does work well with many game genres (puzzles, card games, ecc.), and the Android/iPhone market realized that and capitalized on it. I have a 3D tv, but there are very few 3D games out there for consoles. Of course, 3D gaming is more demanding on the hardware, but usually it only requires lowering the rendering standard a bit. last generation consoles don't even have much of a hardware limitation. Well worth implementing 3D in games -- in my opinion.

One of these days I must try PA on my netbook, to see what I can get out of using the touchscreen. Just curiosity.

When I think of my XBox I think of it as a dedicated thing for playing heavy games which I wouldn't like to clutter my PC with. It's just a means of separating work from play. Games like PA are not invasive nor heavy, so I can use them on my working PC. For all the rest (FPSs, ecc.) I clutter the console.

But I agree: consoles are not better in hardware then custom gaming PCs, nor cheaper. There are many advantages in having a console-released-game though, after all consoles are specific for the end of gaming (no AV or OS updates background interference, ecc.). I was expecting that new generation consoles would have been 128 bit ! This not being the case, I don't really see a great revolution. The big issue is that consoles have small harddisk---XBox 360 gives me a 500Gb hard disk, which is small by any standards for gaming. New generation consoles seem to "improve" on that limit, but just about it. Custom PC at least don't limit such choices as disk-space.
User avatar
CumpyLustard
level2
level2
Posts: 174
Joined: Wed Jul 16, 2014 12:26 am
Location: United States

Re: PA on console? Your thoughts.

Postby CumpyLustard » Sun Feb 01, 2015 7:12 pm

Tristano wrote:Come to think about ... XBox-One'rs could resort to Kinect--could even be healthy sport: imagine a 20-minute swimmin-in-the-air session just to try to zoom into a specific room by waving your arms, and then juggling your hands to select an area and going through the varioues sub-menus! Amazing ... Possibly the Kinect-API could be expanded upon so that it will recognize when the player holds special houseold items in his hands (spoons, forks, ecc.) as an indication that he is working on a specific feature. I can easily visualize myself in the center of my bedroom, in front of a table fool of spoons, forks, sticks, and similia, "orchestrating" my prison to the Kinect!

Else, IV could come up with some new hardware contoler, some kind of wi-fi tablet which interacts with lego-like building blocks. PA could ship with a box of 500 prisoner pawns (in different colors, according to security regime), 100 guards, a few dog handlers plus all other pawns needed (warden, ecc.). It "might" increase the cost of the final game, but it would surely be a deterrent to piracy (and to the purchase of the game also).


Just... no. Controllers are one thing, but the Kinect? PA would be almost impossible to play, let alone enjoy. Why would anyone want to "swim in the air" for twenty minutes just to zoom in to one room? I'm struggling to think of any benefits of motion play.

As for the controller, that would also be unreasonable. Not only would IV have to take the time and money to design and manufacture such a thing (which I imagine wouldn't be easy or cheap), but including these "building blocks" would skyrocket the price. How big would they be? What would they be made out of? And 500 prisoners, not to mention all of the other characters of the game, is absolutely too many. Lego sets are expensive enough as it is, imagine how expensive they would be with 500 minifigures each. It would cost them an insane amount of money to make and probably cost far more than any consumer would want to pay, which could easily ruin them.
User avatar
xander
level5
level5
Posts: 16869
Joined: Thu Oct 21, 2004 11:41 pm
Location: Highland, CA, USA
Contact:

Re: PA on console? Your thoughts.

Postby xander » Sun Feb 01, 2015 7:23 pm

thekillergreece wrote:Against the consoles because of the failed game of Multiwnia on consoles(Xbox 360) if I remember, due to bad marketing?

I don't think that was all of the problem (it could be part of the problem, but only a small part of it, in my opinion). The biggest problem was the Multiwinia, particularly on the consoles, just wasn't all that great of a game. The console controls were a bit clunky, gameplay was repetitive and very small imbalances in the maps gave huge advantages to players that knew how to exploit them. Don't get me wrong---I love Multwinia, but it is not a great multiplayer game, and it didn't translate well to the Xbox. Even the single player Darwinia didn't translate that well.

xander
thekillergreece
level4
level4
Posts: 876
Joined: Wed Jun 12, 2013 1:31 pm
Location: Ammm...Greece maybe?

Re: PA on console? Your thoughts.

Postby thekillergreece » Sun Feb 01, 2015 8:40 pm

xander wrote:
thekillergreece wrote:Against the consoles because of the failed game of Multiwnia on consoles(Xbox 360) if I remember, due to bad marketing?

I don't think that was all of the problem (it could be part of the problem, but only a small part of it, in my opinion). The biggest problem was the Multiwinia, particularly on the consoles, just wasn't all that great of a game. The console controls were a bit clunky, gameplay was repetitive and very small imbalances in the maps gave huge advantages to players that knew how to exploit them. Don't get me wrong---I love Multwinia, but it is not a great multiplayer game, and it didn't translate well to the Xbox. Even the single player Darwinia didn't translate that well.

xander


Okay, I thought Mark Morris was against xbox 360 just because of a game failed to receive good sales, and sort of.

Return to “Community Members”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 7 guests