Suggestion

General chit-chat and minor questions about just about anything

Moderator: NBJeff

Tashen
level0

Suggestion

Postby Tashen » Wed Jan 14, 2015 8:26 pm

When you build a building, it would be nice if the price included lights before you start building it. With the way it works now by charging you for the foundation, building it, then coming back later to put in lights and charge you for that can drop you into the negative. This may not be a big issue later in the game, but it happened to me before I had researched loans, so now I don't have a way to do anything except turn up the game speed and wait.

Also, it would be nice to have a door that you do not allow prisoners through but staff can go through it. I thought that was what the staff door was for, but currently I have my prisoners going through my kitchen to get to the canteen which has it's own entrance with metal dectors and it is not being used due to the prisoners just going through 2 staff doors instead through the kitchen.
poorstudent
level2
level2

Re: Suggestion

Postby poorstudent » Thu Jan 15, 2015 6:25 pm

No matter what door is there, prisoners will always go where they are allowed. So if an area is marked in black 'staff only' they wont go in. So it is a pain but just set rooms you don't want them in to black in the deployment screen.
Tashen
level0

Postby Tashen » Thu Jan 15, 2015 7:01 pm

The problem is I want the prisoners working in the kitchen to be allowed into it, just not all of the others. Setting that door to staff only would force the regular prisoners to change their pathing to the door I want them to be using.
poorstudent
level2
level2

Postby poorstudent » Fri Jan 16, 2015 7:57 am

I am afraid then that I don't know of a solution, without using mods.
Mac1
level0

Postby Mac1 » Fri Jan 16, 2015 9:42 am

In my building i usually can set other limitations to a room and other to a door.
However i'm not sure how to achieve that, i treated this rather as a bug. (door area is another room).
But this might be helpful for you, if you built it that way and make a kitchen shared place, but door area a staff only area.
LordBowler
level1
level1

Postby LordBowler » Fri Jan 16, 2015 7:29 pm

Tashen wrote:The problem is I want the prisoners working in the kitchen to be allowed into it, just not all of the others. Setting that door to staff only would force the regular prisoners to change their pathing to the door I want them to be using.

Staff Hallways and Prisoner Hallways are the key. Forget the rooms, they need to be set however they need to be set in order to get prisoner's to use them. But if you mark an adjacent *hallway* as staff only, it might as well be invisible to prisoners (unless they see a straight shot outside through the area). You've got prisoners working in the shared kitchen? Welcome in. You want to get to the showers? Sorry, I'm afraid there's no way for you to get there through the kitchen.

I've found it convenient to surround sensitive areas on three sides with staff only access hallways that link up to the central shared halls. Leave the canteen adjacent to the kitchen on one side, but any other kitchen door should lead to a staff only hallway (preferably one that leads directly to your [nearby] delivery zone). Same with workshops. And the infirmary for that matter. If you *REALLY* want a place to be off limits, make the hall leading to it AND the room staff only.

But you can play this halfsies game where all are allowed, but only people who work there (or are freaking out and looking to cause mischief), have any reason to step through the door.

Return to “General”