Fuzzy Math

(previously 'DEVELOPER') Private forum for registered community members. To register, please visit www.prison-architect.com/register.

Moderator: NBJeff

WHiZSTeR
level1
level1

Fuzzy Math

Postby WHiZSTeR » Wed Dec 24, 2014 10:32 am

Pardon the tone of this i'm a little frustrated. Been wondering for over a week why i keep losing money and can't seem to earn a thing when i supposedly have a positive cash flow. Well i finally decided the issue couldn't be with my prison and it must be with the game as things just weren't adding up so i crunched some numbers myself.

As it turns out, we all are getting ripped off but the game doesn't make it easy to notice with it's new hourly payments.

So here is my prison:

Federal Grant 2000
Standard Prisoner Grant 4500
MaxSec Prisoner Grant 93600
-----------
Total Income 100100

Workmen Wages 20000
Guard Wages 32400
Admin Wages 2800
Staff Wages 15800
Food 6156
Taxes 4285
-----------
Total Expenses 81441

Difference 18659

18659 / 24 hourly installments = 777 per hour

But i'm only earning 384 per hour, less than half of what i should be and not enough to pay for everything when you add in the reform programs.

Reform Programs 9600
Actual Income 9216

See the problem with this?

So i'm in the hole nearly 400 everyday and that is IF i don't want to build anything else, don't want to buy tazers, don't have to repair anything, etc which only serves to skyrocket the debt.

Once i discovered the problem, I tried some basic calculations to see if i could figure out where they were going wrong. I checked if they were charging for the reform programs twice, once in the hourly cashflow and another at the hour of the program but that comes to 377 an hour not 384. I also checked if it was just a multiple but 384*2 = 768 not 777. I also looked at other things but nothing matches exactly.

In the end i'm not sure where they are getting the math for this as no scenarios add up to the exact dollars i'm seeing. Maybe the accountant is just embezzling thinking i wouldn't notice.. ;) In all seriousness though, this needs fixed asap as it is impossible to play if you are going in the negative regardless of what you do.
Last edited by WHiZSTeR on Wed Dec 24, 2014 1:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Geeves
level0

Re: I can do math, Introversion can't.

Postby Geeves » Wed Dec 24, 2014 11:07 am

Those reform programs are part of your expenses.
Add them there, check the math, see that 9216 / 24 = 384 and you are done.
blipadouzi
level4
level4

Postby blipadouzi » Wed Dec 24, 2014 12:58 pm

Kudos on finding this, but to be fair it has nothing to do with Introversion knowing how to do math or not. They just omitted an item from an the expense report.

Submit a bug report, or ask nicely to have the Reform Programs added to the Expenses column.
It's just an accidental hidden expense.
WHiZSTeR
level1
level1

Postby WHiZSTeR » Wed Dec 24, 2014 1:20 pm

Geeves wrote:Those reform programs are part of your expenses.
Add them there, check the math, see that 9216 / 24 = 384 and you are done.

That is the money i'm bringing in as already shown in my math. The reform programs are a different value.
WHiZSTeR
level1
level1

Postby WHiZSTeR » Wed Dec 24, 2014 1:26 pm

blipadouzi wrote:Kudos on finding this, but to be fair it has nothing to do with Introversion knowing how to do math or not. They just omitted an item from an the expense report.

Submit a bug report, or ask nicely to have the Reform Programs added to the Expenses column.
It's just an accidental hidden expense.

To clarify the "report" lists everything correctly that is where my numbers come from. They do list under the expense column. I separated them in my listing because reform along with exports are handled differently by the game(instant cash as opposed to hourly cashflow) so when you get to calculating things you need to handle them separately. aka all the other figures are the amount divided into hourly parts of cashflow value you get/lose, while reform programs are billed when the programs start. the problem being is in the actual hourly payouts that don't match the calculated report.
Ketamine
level1
level1

Re: Fuzzy Math

Postby Ketamine » Wed Dec 24, 2014 7:49 pm

I just checked the math on my prison, which includes all of the things you listed.. and no problems here.

Could you upload your save? Maybe one of us can help find the culprit to make the dev's jobs easier.
WHiZSTeR
level1
level1

Re: Fuzzy Math

Postby WHiZSTeR » Wed Dec 24, 2014 10:24 pm

I appear to have found the issue. I removed every reform program and the hourly cashflow number changed and came out to be perfect. What i was expecting to happen however was nothing at all, as we are billed at the hour reform programs take place.

What this means is i am being DOUBLE BILLED for my reform programs.

They are figuring in the hourly cashflow cost/income, and then billed again when the reform program starts.

Return to “Community Members”