Cooks that won't cook!

General chit-chat and minor questions about just about anything

Moderator: NBJeff

retrogamer
level0

Re: Cooks that won't cook!

Postby retrogamer » Mon Dec 01, 2014 12:17 pm

I had this problem just yesterday and when i reloaded my map it sorted itself out.....

Sounds like such a simple thing but have you moved all cookers and fridges away from the walls in case they are the wrong way around etc?
bubrubb
level1
level1

Postby bubrubb » Mon Dec 01, 2014 8:56 pm

Hi! Experiencing this as well. Prison seemed to be going fine, until one day all 5 of my cooks suddenly decided to not cook anything! Massive riot and people DIED! :twisted: Too bad suddenly my income dropped cause of it! I'm losing money here, people! :x

- checked power; all things have power and water (sinks etc.)
- had already researched the thing where prisoners can cook, BUT no regular doors lead to my kitchen and i have not as of yet allowed them in to try and cook (going to try that next)
- Tried firing all 5 staff and removing all cookers, sinks, and fridges. Replaced them all into different spots; did not work.
- Looked at grants; didn't see anything weird there
- looked at regimes; yes there are food regimes. Nice long ones. cooks do attempt to get stacks of food out of the fridges, but the stacks just stay there and the cooks never cook them.
did notice that the floor between the staff door to the canteen (By the way in the U.S. we call that a "Cafeteria", little trivia there for you). This was never a problem in the past so i assume it has nothing to do with my current problem
- did notice that at one point the "Kitchen" became a teeny tiny little 3-squared area near the real kitchen - wha...? so I quickly re-drew the "Kitchen" and, still.. cooks are being super lazy!

How do I upload / share my prison so ppl can look at it?

I also saw somebody post something about going into my prison folder and turning on food. Wha...?
bubrubb
level1
level1

Postby bubrubb » Tue Dec 02, 2014 12:25 am

UPDATE:

I have discovered that the problem is sort of with my canteen. there is this one place where there is no door- the canteen is open to the cell block. IF I PLACE A DOOR IN THE CANTEEN, THE COOKS IN THE KITCHEN STOP COOKING! If I later remove the door, then they'll cook again. Strange!

Again I have no idea where i should upload the prison file.
k4rolin3
level0

Postby k4rolin3 » Sat Dec 13, 2014 9:01 pm

Hey, i have this problem too, did it work to reload the map?? if so, how do i do that??
bubrubb
level1
level1

Postby bubrubb » Sat Dec 20, 2014 3:25 pm

Help me build this definitive list!

[SYMPTOMS OF NO COOKING]
  1. Cooks won't cook because "The Area is Too Dangerous"
  2. No food or not enough food arrives to be put into deliveries or on the fridges
  3. Cooks wander around and will become tired, but will not leave the kitchen or cook, even if ingredients are on the fridges
  4. No food deliveries happen

[HOW TO ENSURE YOUR COOKS COOK]
  1. Be a kitchen room
  2. Have at least 1 fridge, cooker, and sink
  3. Have at least 1 cook hired
  4. Power & Plumbing to the fridges, cookers, and sinks

[WAYS TO FIX COOKS THAT WON'T COOK]
  1. Exit the game & reload your prison
  2. Make sure no tiny 1 square canteens accidentally got created by mis-clicking
  3. Fool around with doors to the canteen (For me that actually revealed a tiny 1-square canteen under the door which was messing up the cooks)
  4. If multiple kitchens, delete one & see if they start cooking in the other
  5. Dismantle all unused fridges!
Last edited by bubrubb on Sat Dec 20, 2014 11:02 pm, edited 4 times in total.
bubrubb
level1
level1

Postby bubrubb » Sat Dec 20, 2014 3:44 pm

bubrubb wrote:UPDATE:

I have discovered that the problem is sort of with my canteen. there is this one place where there is no door- the canteen is open to the cell block. IF I PLACE A DOOR IN THE CANTEEN, THE COOKS IN THE KITCHEN STOP COOKING! If I later remove the door, then they'll cook again. Strange!

Again I have no idea where i should upload the prison file.

THE PROBLEM WAS THAT A TINY 1 SQUARE CANTEEN EXISTED IN A DOORWAY. When I put a door there, all cooks stopped cooking. So I removed the stupid 1-square canteen piece that was in that tiny little doorway and voila, they all started cooking again.

Built a whole new prison, and now, again, guess what. COOKS WON'T COOK AGAIN! when I figure it out, it'll get added to my previous "DEFINITIVE" post.
DrNo
level1
level1

Postby DrNo » Mon Dec 22, 2014 1:50 pm

I had this issue. Didn't try and solve it because I was ready to start a new game but pretty sure the problems started for me when I changed the nutritional policy.
fisto_roboto
level0

Postby fisto_roboto » Tue Dec 23, 2014 4:59 am

This just happened to me after I attempted to expand my kitchen. Cooks were working as intended. I built some expansion foundation then added new equipment, and the cooks stopped working. They just wonder around the kitchen for days on end. The food sits on top of the fridge. I have tried using the "Clear Indoor Area" tool and then remaking the blank room into a kitchen again to no avail. I have moved my appliances around and still nothing.
SgtHodgson
level0

Postby SgtHodgson » Tue Dec 23, 2014 1:16 pm

Like the rest of you, my cooks had food, cookers, fridges, sinks and power & Water, But would still only walk around the kitchen and not make any food for the inmates, which caused major upset and fights breaking out.

I sacked my staff & Replaced them with new ones, stopped the food program & even redid the whole area. Then whilst I was just starting to build a new kitchen to see if that would work I Clicked on the 'Logistics' page only to see that the Yellow Dot, with a knife through it, was not connected to the kitchen. A click from the yellow dot to the kitchen and the problem was solved.

Key Point: Look under the 'Logistics' page and make sure that the points are set correctly.
shadowskill
level1
level1

Postby shadowskill » Wed Dec 24, 2014 3:27 pm

i opened a few map and this problem still happens all the time.
i have tried to remove and rebuild my kitchen but still not working.
Chris
Introversion Staff
Introversion Staff

Postby Chris » Wed Dec 24, 2014 4:08 pm

Hi guys, we'd love to get to the bottom of this. Please share your prison files with us - either using Steam Workshop (best), or just attaching/inking to the prison files somehow.
Malhard
level0

Postby Malhard » Fri Dec 26, 2014 3:20 am

I am very sad about this problem with the cookies. Hours lost building several prisons and they do not work. Discouraging...
havokgs
level0

Postby havokgs » Sat Dec 27, 2014 3:11 am

Just had this happen to me. The cooks stop cooking for no reason. I checked the logistics screen and it says demand is 0 for some reason all the time, even though my prison has over 40 inmates in it right now, and the prisoners riot and basically the whole prison falls apart. Re-loading the game didn't fix the issue either.

Drakexz
level2
level2

Postby Drakexz » Sat Dec 27, 2014 12:07 pm

Without seeing more of the prison or a save-file, it's quite hard to find the reason for the not working kitchen.
monzilla
level0

Postby monzilla » Sat Dec 27, 2014 11:20 pm

Hi people,

Same problem here.
I have tried all above steps, cant figure out whats causing this problem.

I find it interesting that my canteen demand is at 0, could it be that the problem is not within the kitchen, but with the canteen?

EDIT: I found out what was killing my prison! The room between my cellblock and my canteen was set to "staff only". When i built a new cellblock, I made some changes to the perimiter where my prisoners could move. Because of this, the prisoners had no way to move from their cellblock to the canteen!

When canteen supply is 0 my chefs wouldnt cook!

Return to “General”