Former Correctional Officer - Recommendations

(previously 'DEVELOPER') Private forum for registered community members. To register, please visit www.prison-architect.com/register.

Moderator: NBJeff

DanJaker
level0

Former Correctional Officer - Recommendations

Postby DanJaker » Wed Dec 10, 2014 11:14 pm

Hi,
I used to be a correctional officer, so I love your game. Being that I also love tycoon builder and management games.

I do have some suggestions on what I would like to see in the game though, (sorry if they are already implemented as I have only been playing a short time).

1. Seasons and weather - Maybe as time goes by, so will the seasons, summer through winter and the landscape changes as well, along with weather, rain, snow, thunderstorms, nothing crazy, just weather.

2. Guard towers and control centers. Officers can control a Unit of cells via a control center placed nearby, rather than always on foot through the hallways, and guard towers to prevent possible escapes.

3. Rovers - A typical prison will have a roving officer in a vehicle to patrol the outer perimeter of the prison, and will always have weapons, as well as the tower officer. In case of an escape attempt, it is possible to fire upon them.

4. More stuff, objects! This is a no brainier, more objects to place within the prison is always a great thing.

5. SORT team. For those inmates who barricade themselves inside their cell, if they dont comply to come out, the SORT team is sent in to do a cell extraction.

6. Pepper spray!

7. Mental health. All prisons have a mental health unit.

8. Option to execute by hanging, lethal injection and firing squad.

9. Bunks, to make cells that hold two prisoners instead of one.

Im sure I have many more, but these are just a few.

Ok, I have a few more here :

10. Fences, I understand its only a visual component, but it is an important part of prison architecture. Why not different fence types, razor wire, "no mans land" which is strips of razor wire you can lay on the ground, and motion detectors. And also the (expensive) option too build underground to prevent tunneling out.

11. Rape. Sad but true.

12. More comprehensive medical. More conditions in which prisoners can suffer, surgery, maybe the option to send them to an outside hospital if need be.

13. An option to choose your inmate uniforms. Aside from orange, and assign each color to a specific group.

14. A parking lot for staff vehicles and visitors, which can be searched for contraband coming in..... or maybe not who knows.

As one user mentioned concerning mental health inmates... it is possible for them to suffer anything in the book, and will act very differently than regular inmates, and need a special medical unit to manage them... exactly what goes on differently is up in the air. - And dont forget GANGS, which another user already started a topic about.

- When a prisoner commits an offense within your prison, ie: assaults a cop or inmate, kills someone, YOU get to decide punishment, longer sentence or death!
Last edited by DanJaker on Fri Dec 12, 2014 2:55 am, edited 3 times in total.
taterzNcorn
level0

Re: Former Correctional Officer - Recommendations

Postby taterzNcorn » Thu Dec 11, 2014 5:15 am

YES X1000000!! I think every single one of those ideas are KEY to this game being that much more AWESOME! :!: :!: :!: :mrgreen: :P 8)
heskel
level0

Postby heskel » Thu Dec 11, 2014 8:35 am

Pepper spray!
CumpyLustard
level2
level2

Postby CumpyLustard » Thu Dec 11, 2014 10:19 am

Okay, this might be a little long, but here goes:

1. I would like seasons as well. Even if it isn't officially added, I bet there will be mods for it (a winter mod already exists).

2. Guard towers are a very requested feature, and might be odd to implement due to the top down style of the game. Also, would building a Security room with CCTV and remote doors and such accomplish what you're describing? I don't really use any of the advanced wiring and all that, so I'm not sure.

3. I think rovers are a pretty good idea. I don't tend to make terribly large prisons, but I can imagine them being helpful on larger prisons. I am curious what it would look like in-game (how will the guards work them without feet? :P )

4. More objects are always good.

5. I like the idea of prisoners holding up in their cells.

6. What purpose would pepper spray serve? Something similar to what tazers currently do? Not really sure about this one.

7. Sounds good to me.

8. I doubt they would add any of these, as the devs don't really seem to like execution in the game. I'm almost positive mods for these things will be made, though.

9. Similar to the guard tower issue, it might be weird to illustrate a bunk bed in the style of the game. I wouldn't mind the option of at least having cells with two beds/toilets, though.

All in all, pretty good suggestions.
5hifty
level4
level4

Postby 5hifty » Thu Dec 11, 2014 4:22 pm

DanJaker wrote:2. Guard towers and control centers. Officers can control a Unit of cells via a control center placed nearby, rather than always on foot through the hallways

CumpyLustard wrote:2. Guard towers are a very requested feature, and might be odd to implement due to the top down style of the game. Also, would building a Security room with CCTV and remote doors and such accomplish what you're describing? I don't really use any of the advanced wiring and all that, so I'm not sure.

Yeah ya could. If you made a security room with a door control station in each cell block, put a servo on all the cell doors and hooked them all to it, it would be what he was asking for.
Gangrene
level1
level1

Postby Gangrene » Thu Dec 11, 2014 5:52 pm

Seasons and weather, sure... it's eye candy, but really doesn't apply the the challenge of the game.

Gaurd towers yes... with spotlights... that is a huge part of the iconic jail image... Snipers should be in the tower... with skills % chance to react and hit... hit location mechanic. leg stops prisoner, minimum damage, torso stops more damage, miss, grazed, etc...

Command room... IMO the current camera and remote door system meets the need... I think the problem is the existing door system. I'll make a post on that.

Rovers, great idea... better than circling it with 10 dogs. IMPORTANT... the cart should not have wheels just like people don't have feet. Maintain the theme...

More stuff, who can argue with that?

Specific "Sort" team new guard type, not needed. Being able to select specific guards, specify specific guards armament and being able to direct that team to a location or certain cell, definitely needed. Grouping guards in to teams with team one being selected with a Ctrl+1 button press... right click to tell them to move... HUGE.

+1 Pepper spray... More tech tree always better.

Mental health... I'd like to know what mechanics should be employed. What is dealt with in a real prison. OP can you expand on that?

Two Person bunks / Cell Rooms... more tech tree and HUGE.
Reeferken
level1
level1

Postby Reeferken » Fri Dec 12, 2014 12:46 am

Weather could change gameplay as the need for heating or cooling could become important... Unless you run a gulag...
Change your regime during winter so prisoners don't spend more than a hour freezing outside... But provide ample inside entertainment so they don't get pissed off
Rain could damage items outside and make movement on grass slower, dogs can lose sent,...
Many gameplay changes in weather

GT... Yes no arguing there (with kill zones)

Cars circling the perimiter... Yes please
This could also mean atv's... Or later allow a mod so we can use Roman carts with horses chasing prisoners and then spearing them!!
Atv's could be used internally aswell to move multiple items to a build site by one worker (designated roads or paths might be needed)
Downside they can be stolen and used in the escape for freedom

More stuff yes...

Sort team... Like mentioned if the current guards could be grouped, had riot gear and better Ai this would solve itself

Pepper spray... Include much more like flashbangs and smoke and....

A yearly psyc review could be usefull... As would other chronic health issues

Yes for bunk beds... But also sleeping mats (gulag style)
Just remove restrictions on nr of prisoners per cell but count places by the amount of beds in cell rooms
DanJaker
level0

Postby DanJaker » Fri Dec 12, 2014 2:51 am

Sure, weather can affect prisoners moods, getting cold or hot. And yes a SORT team is essential and in every prison for sure. I like the idea of bunks, but also the idea to have dormitories! not just cells, saves space and can be for minimum security housing. --- Also I think the game could be a little more graphic, body parts been cut off in a fight, more gore, vomit, feces, piss.. you name it. Its prison, its rough.

Return to “Community Members”