Why do my inmates love this bench?

(previously 'DEVELOPER') Private forum for registered community members. To register, please visit www.prison-architect.com/register.

Moderator: NBJeff

WyDavies
level2
level2

Why do my inmates love this bench?

Postby WyDavies » Thu Nov 20, 2014 12:04 am

In my current prison I had an area that needed something to fill it. So I made an Execution Chamber. Because why not?
For some reason my inmates love to sit on one specific bench in there. I cannot work out why. If I change the room designation they leave. I put it back to an Execution Chamber and they return. But no matter how I rearrange things, they only sit on that one bench.

Screenshot of the bench of epic sitting below:
http://cloud-4.steampowered.com/ugc/538507158898347061/7D6466388C94D0123615674AD570A7851D05E25C/

A zoomed out screenshot for context:
http://cloud-4.steampowered.com/ugc/538507158898353994/B0E7BEDE727B1A53BA80F3A1C4CE15FCD52C057A/

Anyone understand why the inmates do this? The rest of them sit in the Canteen, a Common Room, the Yard or their personal cell. Logical places. 2nd bench in an Execution Chamber? That's not logical.

-edit-
Realised the zoomed out view wasn't fully zoomed out. Here is one zoomed out to the full view:
http://cloud-4.steampowered.com/ugc/538507158898549430/E4D51ACF73980DFE64F5EBCFA77390D90E0B8D13/

The Execution Chamber is to the right of the massed Solitary Cell block, which is just to the right of the road entrance at the top of the map.
Last edited by WyDavies on Thu Nov 20, 2014 12:09 am, edited 1 time in total.
RichieGrape
level4
level4

Re: Why do my inmates love this bench?

Postby RichieGrape » Thu Nov 20, 2014 12:08 am

i can't say why they do it but a simple fix for this is to just zone the execution as staff only (since its kinda just there for show atm anyways)
WyDavies
level2
level2

Postby WyDavies » Thu Nov 20, 2014 12:11 am

I don't want to fix it. I think it is kinda interesting. I'm interested in why they do it.
Also interested in why they fill up the Canteen from the bottom left during their free-time. That is actually a bit creepy, with massed ranks all sitting in a group, silently staring at each other.
RichieGrape
level4
level4

Postby RichieGrape » Thu Nov 20, 2014 12:13 am

WyDavies wrote:I don't want to fix it. I think it is kinda interesting. I'm interested in why they do it.

i guess the reason why is because they can...if they aren't working i believe they treat it as free time...so its just coincidence that they chose that specific bench

Also interested in why they fill up the Canteen from the bottom left during their free-time. That is actually a bit creepy, with massed ranks all sitting in a group, silently staring at each other.

i noticed this too...i think is just how the game "scans" the map for pathfinding...i think it starts in the bottom left..working left to right than moving up 1 square and reading from left to right again...noticed this on a large prison right after load (when cells are still being recognized)
WyDavies
level2
level2

Postby WyDavies » Thu Nov 20, 2014 12:39 pm

I doubt it is coincidence. 1225 inmates and for 30 days in a row exactly 4 sit on that bench. If one meets his comfort needs and gets up, another inmate comes in to sit on that bench. No-one ever sits on the other benches. I've even modified the room and filled it with benches and they aren't interested. Several hundred in the canteen, a few hundred in the yards and common rooms and exactly 4 in that room on the edge of the map and only ever on the 2nd bench.

There is something very specific about the decision making and it only works that way if the room is assigned as an execution chamber. I de-assign it, or assign it to something else and the inmates leave.
I built another room like it elsewhere and no interest. So a specific combination of location, room type and layout makes this bench really attractive to an inmate looking for a fulfilling bit of sitting. The type of sitting where you say, "Oh yes, I sat so well that I don't need to sit anymore."

I also have 8 common rooms in a row and the inmates like common rooms 1, 4 and 7. If a lot are looking for recreation time or comfort (pool tables, TVs and chairs) they then start to fill up common rooms 2, 5 and 8. A definate pattern is there. But what is driving them? If I could work out what rules they are using I could set up things to work more efficiently and also avoid building rooms no inmate will ever use (such as common rooms 3 and 6 which lie empty).
HerrJoebob
level4
level4

Postby HerrJoebob » Thu Nov 20, 2014 7:02 pm

Who's the monster sitting in the middle of the bench - the inmate who's so large his body obscures his name? Legendary?
CumpyLustard
level2
level2

Postby CumpyLustard » Sat Nov 22, 2014 10:27 am

Perhaps there's just something about that bench... Maybe it's just so much more comfortable than other benches. Maybe sitting in just this particular bench provides an experience unlike any other, an experience that makes all other benches simply pointless. The prisoners know something about this bench that we may possibly never understand. The bench is beyond our comprehension.
Chibs
level1
level1

Postby Chibs » Sat Nov 22, 2014 2:42 pm

As an ex convict in the prison shown above... There's just something about that bench. Some say that the bench is the key out of there... some say it gives you special powers beyond your imagination. Others just seem to think its a damn fine bench.
BugPowderDust
level2
level2

Postby BugPowderDust » Wed Nov 26, 2014 9:14 am

They been told by K-PAX to sit on the bench, and eventually they'll just travel out on a beam of light

You got K-PAX in your prison.
czar mohab
level2
level2

Postby czar mohab » Wed Nov 26, 2014 7:30 pm

I don't think it is limited to just execution room benches, as I have seen in videos of others' prisons where a bench or benches in one spot will attract prisoners whilst others around have none. No idea if this is intentional or not. Not even sure if bug is the right word for it; "curiosity" seems the appropriate word.

In some cases it almost makes sense, the bench is close to a major traffic path. In others, like yours, it is just a random bench in some random room.

The Czar
rip4ever
level1
level1

Postby rip4ever » Sun Nov 30, 2014 12:09 pm

Seems obvious that it is an epiphany bench.

:)

Return to “Community Members”