Suggestion - Auto "Go to event"

(previously 'DEVELOPER') Private forum for registered community members. To register, please visit www.prison-architect.com/register.

Moderator: NBJeff

ginger_ninja
level0

Suggestion - Auto "Go to event"

Postby ginger_ninja » Tue Oct 28, 2014 9:01 am

As my prison expands, I find myself missing out on events such as fights, because I'm focusing on the wrong area. I know the guard icon should appear, but is that only at the point the guards turn up at an event?
I noticed the other day I had a group of prisoners kicking off in the showers, which I could see due to CCTV. But they had been fighting for a while, and one was already dead before I directed the guards to go in there.

I would like the game to offer the option to automatically zoom to an area where events have been seen.
Obviously, It has to be something that's seen, because this will give challenges in making sure areas are monitored. And we can all imagine that some prisoners should have the chance to knock someone off in an unguarded corridor, given half a chance.
RichieGrape
level4
level4

Re: Suggestion - Auto "Go to event"

Postby RichieGrape » Tue Oct 28, 2014 12:41 pm

personally i don't like this idea...there should be some sort of penalty for not paying attention to your whole prison...i agree that isn't always easy or even possible but certain situations should be a bit of a mystery...face it its a prison with violent prisoners and realistically as the warden your not going to see the majority of stuff happen...you just end up with a report of it

however about you cctv comment...a fight breaks out on camera and all the Free gaurds in the prison should come running...currently it seems that the cctv monitor guard kicks back with some popcorn and just enjoys the fight
blipadouzi
level4
level4

Postby blipadouzi » Tue Oct 28, 2014 2:43 pm

I agree with Richie that this is not something I would want to have. In my current prison, I get 2 - 5 pings every 10 seconds. My map will be bouncing all over the place non-stop for guard/contraband alerts.

What I would like to see that would easily fix this problem is a new alert type for fights. As long as the fight is visible by a staff member (line of sight or CCTV), then the alert is valid. This would allow the player to choose to zoom into that location, and send more guards there if need be.
Jailer
level2
level2

Postby Jailer » Tue Oct 28, 2014 2:52 pm

Go-to should be optional in my opinion -

on the one hand, there is too much going on in a bigger prison to be able to check everything - a tazered prisoner in the canteen after a prisoner-prisoner fight or a brief fight between a guard and a prisoner - the game c/would grind to a halt.
On the other hand, auto-go-to can be very annoying - you get uncontrolled camera movement from one fight to another while you were trying to build your fence or drop an extra guard into the fight.

My preferred option is the following:
Every prison size and playing style has its own issues:
- if you have a small prison you might want to see tazering as it is infrequent; in large prisons it would get very annoying.
- if you always play at high speed you want the game to slow down during some events like an escape, but not when a fight happens.

Give the player the option to decide which actions are to slow down game speed and which actions trigger auto-go-to.
This can work just like setting the punishment policy:

Code: Select all

Event           Slowdown | Go-to

Riot                X    |   X
Guard attacked      X    |   X
P2P fight           X    |
Tunnel found             |   X
Prisoner death      X    |   X
Prisoner injured    X    |
Prisoner tazered         |
Staff death         X    |   X
Staff injured       X    |
New prisoners       X    |
Shots fired              |   X
Fire                X    |   X
Escape                   |   X
Overdose            X    |
Last edited by Jailer on Tue Oct 28, 2014 3:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ginger_ninja
level0

Postby ginger_ninja » Tue Oct 28, 2014 3:04 pm

Yea, sorry. I meant to add "Option" to my original title.
I absolutely think it should be optional. And the list of events you put up would be great. Add "prisoner overdose" to that and I think it's would be perfect.
Jailer
level2
level2

Postby Jailer » Tue Oct 28, 2014 3:13 pm

ginger_ninja wrote:Yea, sorry. I meant to add "Option" to my original title.
I absolutely think it should be optional. And the list of events you put up would be great. Add "prisoner overdose" to that and I think it's would be perfect.

Added 8)
RichieGrape
level4
level4

Postby RichieGrape » Tue Oct 28, 2014 3:31 pm

personally i think an event log would be a lil more useful ...we already get popup notifications of fights happening off screen..but a chat based event log would be useful...it could also give us info like...prisoner x is starving or... prisoner y wishes to be an informant...or even 18 Prisoners have arrived
czar mohab
level2
level2

Postby czar mohab » Tue Oct 28, 2014 4:57 pm

That little tag that pops up and tells me something is going on; let me click on that if I want to go see what's up right just now, if I so choose. Anything else is overkill, IMO.

Much like how the death tag works now (although to be fair I'd like to see this improved to show all the recent deaths not just the last one, sometimes you get two or three at once and can't find one or more of them).

I don't want to be mid-foundation-build or mid-planning or any other thing where click and drag is vital to doing (like almost every darned thing) and have the screen pop over somewhere and now I have to deal with that overly large and generally misplaced click-and-drug mess as well.

In either event, a few more floating tags for events would be nice, in addition to the ones already in place. For example, items such as fights, tazered inmates, and shotgun shots could be in the blue circle (like for the guards in trouble) using a fist, a tazer, and a shotgun icon (respectively).

The Czar

P.S. The event log, however, would be nice..
Reeferken
level1
level1

Postby Reeferken » Mon Nov 03, 2014 4:13 pm

auto move to location wouldn't be advisable

maybe a notification list near the left or right like the ones you see on a mac or using growl https://www.google.com/search?q=growl%20mac&newwindow=1&client=chrome-mobile&espv=1&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sboxchip=Afbeeldingen&sa=X&ei=V5pXVNKJDdPguQSW2oCIAg&ved=0CAYQ_AUoAQ&biw=360&bih=567
if you click on it you go there directly, if not it disappears after a certain time or not depending on the notification
czar mohab
level2
level2

Postby czar mohab » Mon Nov 03, 2014 5:42 pm

czar mohab wrote:That little tag that pops up and tells me something is going on; let me click on that if I want to go see what's up right just now, if I so choose. Anything else is overkill, IMO.

In fairness, and I don't know when it happened, but this is a thing. Click the tag and jump to location.

The more you know

The Czar
australopithecus
level0

Postby australopithecus » Tue Nov 04, 2014 1:38 pm

Yes, you can click on the icons to jump to the event, but it's not the best system. Half the time I click a fraction of a second late, just as the icon disappears, and end up placing an oven in the middle of nowhere. When there are lots of alerts that I want to see, I feel like I'm playing whack-a-mole.

I agree that an event log would be the best solution. When ten events that I'm interested in pop up in the space of five seconds, I'd love to be able to pause the game and then click through them at my leisure.
5hifty
level4
level4

Postby 5hifty » Tue Nov 04, 2014 5:32 pm

australopithecus wrote:When ten events that I'm interested in pop up in the space of five seconds, I'd love to be able to pause the game and then click through them at my leisure.

You can. If you pause the game when an alert happens, the marker stays. If it's not there it means that you are looking at the area it happened in. Zoom in and move the focus away - the marker will appear on the edge of the screen again.
WiseWoodrow
level2
level2

Postby WiseWoodrow » Tue Nov 04, 2014 9:32 pm

The reason it only notifies you when a guard calls for backup is likely specifically there so that you don't see everything instantly.

You're an architect in the sky, not superman - watch your prison carefully, or hire better guard support.

Though, save this idea as a suggestion - the CCTV cameras notify nearby guards of any prisoners misbehaving. That'd be balanced.
RFC3514
level1
level1

Postby RFC3514 » Wed Nov 05, 2014 4:18 am

Auto go-to, not really. It would just get crazy on any large prison.

But an "incident record" page inside your "Reports", listing incidents in the last 24 or 48 hours (with the option to filter by type, and pan to that area by clicking on each incident) would be great. For example, an entry could look like this:

:arrow: Day 86 / 19:34 / Weapon (shank) found on prisoner Jolly Roger. Penalty given (2 hours in solitary).

Clicking on that line would pan the view to the place where the weapon was found. Clicking on the prisoner name would pan the view to the prisoner (who is probably now at a different location) and open his personal file.

It's a bit silly that the prisons in PA seem to keep no record of incidents.
Robbedem
level2
level2

Postby Robbedem » Sat Dec 20, 2014 2:49 am

Yes, we really need an incident history. I sometimes miss those icons because I'm doing something different (like connecting logistics/utilities) and than I have no easy way to find the location of the event anymore.

Return to “Community Members”