Guard dog going for the revenge kill

(previously 'DEVELOPER') Private forum for registered community members. To register, please visit www.prison-architect.com/register.

Moderator: NBJeff

Drakexz
level2
level2

Guard dog going for the revenge kill

Postby Drakexz » Sat Oct 11, 2014 7:13 pm

I noticed an unconscious guard do in my prison. A few minutes earlier his master got killed by a prisoner and he (the dog) got injured.
After he "got back to life" he went to the solitary cell of the prisoner and killed him. After killing the prisoner he just left the map.

Here's a short youtube video of the incident.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3Cl6dPxMgc8
http://bugs.introversion.co.uk/view.php?id=6409
freakyguy59
level1
level1

Re: Guard dog going for the revenge kill

Postby freakyguy59 » Sat Oct 11, 2014 11:50 pm

I am not sure, but I think it was mentioned during the introduction of dog handlers that, when the dog or the dog handler will be killed they can act in an unpredictable way. So yeah, that's the "unexpected". :roll:
RichieGrape
level4
level4

Postby RichieGrape » Sat Oct 11, 2014 11:53 pm

yea this issue has been around since the dogs were introduced...maybe we will see a fix for it in this months bug bash
spectacularnono18
level2
level2

Postby spectacularnono18 » Sun Oct 12, 2014 3:44 am

I honestly hope this doesnt get fixed :3

This is a reason to send a prisoner to protective wing and lock down the wing just to save the prisoner and do some emergency stuff with barricades and sht... Just saying
Drakexz
level2
level2

Postby Drakexz » Sun Oct 12, 2014 10:19 am

Protective custody or a locked door won't help. The dog is considered as staff so they will open the door for him. And even if you've locked the doors, you have to open it at some time. So the dog will sooner or later get to the prisoner.

I'd accept it if he would attack a random prisoner, but he's just going for the one who killed his master.
Or just add something, so other guards will tazer the dog or stop him in any other way but, as you can see in the video, the guards only open the door to look at the unconscious prisoner.
minicrafter8401PA
level1
level1

Postby minicrafter8401PA » Fri Oct 17, 2014 5:28 pm

That's an awesome mechanic, but I think the guards should subdue the dog.
Pingy
level1
level1

Postby Pingy » Fri Oct 17, 2014 7:25 pm

Only bug I saw was the dog attacking him through a closed door. I'm pretty sure if you kill a guard "accidents" can happen in a prison, "he slipped and fell on my baton and it went all the way down his throat up to the handle, it got stuck and I couldn't pull it out until after he choked to death on it and his body relaxed." So many people died in my prison I just stopped caring if it was a prisoner. Looked like friggin Star Trek with all the phasers, er... tazers going off everywhere all the time.

If you do care though, manually locking down a door prevents even guards from opening it.
RichieGrape
level4
level4

Postby RichieGrape » Fri Oct 17, 2014 7:33 pm

Pingy wrote:If you do care though, manually locking down a door prevents even guards from opening it.

true but if your locking it so a dog can't get in he'll either find a way around or just wait there patiently until you unlock it
Drakexz
level2
level2

Postby Drakexz » Sat Oct 18, 2014 12:17 pm

Pingy wrote:Only bug I saw was the dog attacking him through a closed door.

And how about the dog knowing the exact place of the prisoner? The dog was unconscious, so there would actually be no way of him knowing where the prisoner would be.
Pingy
level1
level1

Postby Pingy » Sat Oct 18, 2014 5:07 pm

RichieGrape wrote:
Pingy wrote:If you do care though, manually locking down a door prevents even guards from opening it.

true but if your locking it so a dog can't get in he'll either find a way around or just wait there patiently until you unlock it

True.

Drakexz wrote:

And how about the dog knowing the exact place of the prisoner? The dog was unconscious, so there would actually be no way of him knowing where the prisoner would be.

You're forgetting about smell, dogs are used to track fugitives and find missing persons they've never even met all the time. Tracking someone a few hundred yards that they were in physical contact with is nothing for a dog.
Drakexz
level2
level2

Postby Drakexz » Sat Oct 18, 2014 6:39 pm

Pingy wrote:You're forgetting about smell, dogs are used to track fugitives and find missing persons they've never even met all the time. Tracking someone a few hundred yards that they were in physical contact with is nothing for a dog.

I don't think this will work here. There are so many other prisoners and staff around so the "track" would be more than gone. No doubt, a dog can find any person in a way less crowded area, but not in this prison with that many other persons.
Pingy
level1
level1

Postby Pingy » Sat Oct 18, 2014 6:50 pm

I'll agree to disagree on this point ;)
simz04
level1
level1

Postby simz04 » Mon Oct 20, 2014 2:42 am

Drakexz wrote:

Because its a videogame and the dog's AI knows exactly where he is? :)

But anyway a dog can find someone pretty easily in real life too, just with a bit more messing around. I play hide and seek with my dog every now and then in the forest and the little buggers quite hard to hide from and shes not even trained for that.
Drakexz
level2
level2

Postby Drakexz » Mon Oct 20, 2014 6:23 am

simz04 wrote:
Drakexz wrote:

Because its a videogame and the dog's AI knows exactly where he is? :)

But anyway a dog can find someone pretty easily in real life too, just with a bit more messing around. I play hide and seek with my dog every now and then in the forest and the little buggers quite hard to hide from and shes not even trained for that.

Read my last post in this thread. (3 above this one)
5hifty
level4
level4

Postby 5hifty » Mon Oct 20, 2014 4:18 pm

I don't see why a dog wouldn't be able to find a person in a large group of people. I mean, they are already picking out drugs in a large group of people. It's just another smell to them. I hardly think dogs are all 'pffh people dude - all smell the same to me'.

That said, I love how people are discussing this like its a half done feature when it is plainly a bug. Dogs are governed by the trainer. Without the trainer they are still trying to complete the last task allocated to them, which obviously is attack the person which was attacking the trainer. Once the trainer dies their process loop is broken and there is no way for them to get the 'stop attack' command. I feel like it happens this way as is because the other simple way to code it would be 'trainer dies>end all processes>leave screen' which would mean that if a trainer died in the middle of a battle the dog would just walk away (or try to - I'm assuming the prisoners would continue to attack) which would be even more broken.

I feel the way to fix this would be to have 'regaining consciousness>clear tasks', or better yet 'becomes unconscious>clear tasks'

Return to “Community Members”