What should we focus on next?

(previously 'DEVELOPER') Private forum for registered community members. To register, please visit www.prison-architect.com/register.

Moderator: NBJeff

What should we focus on during the next few alphas?

Poll ended at Mon Sep 30, 2013 5:30 pm

Keep adding brand new features
60%
Finish and polish existing features
9%
Bug fixes
7%
Performance enhancements
16%
Story chapters
5%
Game Balance
3%

Total votes: 1169
Arailies
level1
level1

Re: What should we focus on next?

Postby Arailies » Thu Sep 04, 2014 3:31 pm

Pegasus2 wrote:Prisoners really should die from harsh treatment.

Starvation etc although I think suicude is a little too dark for this game.

suiside would be great, it should be the very VERY last resort for the freedom need, or the idea of 'youll never take me alive' notion if they are rioting :twisted:
PABadger
level0

Postby PABadger » Fri Sep 19, 2014 8:44 pm

I haven't been playing very long, so I've only run across a few problems with the game. I'd like to have watchtowers and guards with rifles to patrol them, but that's one of those "meh, when you get to it" things. New stuff in the game is pretty low on the list of priorities, though a more advanced AI with the prisoners might be fun someday (i.e. organization/group planning and social structure).

ATM, though, the biggest issue is bugs, and cleaning up what we've already got. The drug and alcohol rehab issues are a royal pain. My vote is kill the bugs now and worry about new crap later.
startrecker
level0

Postby startrecker » Sat Sep 20, 2014 7:00 am

I agree with some of what has been said. Specifically as a criminal justice major the one glaring omission I see is the interaction between inmates. The biggest change I would like to see is the introduction of gangs. Like it or not gangs are a huge part of the prision world. Going along with that I would love to see different personalities. For example some prisoners would be more violent either targeting other inmates or staff while others would be more submissive personality likely to do what they are told.
bae85
level1
level1

Postby bae85 » Wed Sep 24, 2014 8:45 am

Making the game run smoothly and properly before adding any new features surely should be the priority?

My prison has 400 inmates and the game is dog slow and unresponsive and becoming hard work to play. According to Task Manager my 6 core CPU is only being utilised 25% by the game and it's not even using 1GB of my 8GB RAM available. Does it even use any of the graphics card power available too? I'm probably saying something someone else has said before, but what's the point of adding new features if the game becomes horrible to play when it gets to a decent size?
Pegasus2
level1
level1

Postby Pegasus2 » Wed Sep 24, 2014 12:03 pm

Coding advanced AI for gangs and prisoner interaction is a complicated task that won't be completed soon.

Coding prisoner personalities is even harder so I woudn't expect to see that in any complex form anytime soon. It will come but probably in stages.
Arailies
level1
level1

Postby Arailies » Sat Sep 27, 2014 1:54 pm

bae85 wrote:Making the game run smoothly and properly before adding any new features surely should be the priority?

My prison has 400 inmates and the game is dog slow and unresponsive and becoming hard work to play. According to Task Manager my 6 core CPU is only being utilised 25% by the game and it's not even using 1GB of my 8GB RAM available. Does it even use any of the graphics card power available too? I'm probably saying something someone else has said before, but what's the point of adding new features if the game becomes horrible to play when it gets to a decent size?

Yeah thats something they should work on, and i've noticed that even with my almost empty prison (just started building most of the stuff after selling alpha 23 prison), its got very......VERY slow after i bought alot of the surrounding land so please sort out:

1.optimisation of large prisons with lots of entities (people and objects)
2.maybe somewhere in the coding you could make job selection and processing quicker?
3.make use of our super O.P. custom computers power so it isnt really slow
4.incorperate some of the epic mods out there, especially the skins people do 'Prisoners of war - regular edition' and 'Warhammer Prison v0.1'
5. Maybe some more bug bashing too.......

And most importanly 6. Have fun. :lol:
bae85
level1
level1

Postby bae85 » Mon Sep 29, 2014 5:15 pm

Make the game run smoothly is not much to ask! :mrgreen:
Vincenzo_667
level1
level1

Postby Vincenzo_667 » Mon Sep 29, 2014 6:06 pm

Most of all I would like to have the option of assigning a specific prisoner to a specific cell, it would be a logical follow-up to the newly introduced characteristics system.
Zandesh
level0

Postby Zandesh » Thu Oct 09, 2014 3:46 am

[Wishlist]

- Add Female prisoners and staff
- Being able to run a mixed prison, or a strict male/female prison.
- Make use of the characteristics-system that is already there in terms of having prison gangs.
- Make an option to turn off in-game sfx, since there's a lot of trouble with some sounds bugging out.
- Add: Basketball + Soccer courts for recreativity.
- Add: Chapel / Church
- Add: More options or tasks for a Warden to do, like holding speeches
- Add: Parole-office - A place for prisoners to apply for a parole on good behavior
- Add: Guard Towers + Kill Zones
- Add: In Denmark at least the prisoners are able to earn money from their work in prison (extremely low salary of course) in which they are able to buy goods from a store that is situated within the prison, so maybe add a shop?
- Add: Weather - I'm not sure if it should have any impact on the actual game play, but it would make sense that you can't leave a power generator outside in the open, without the weather having an impact.
- Add: Total isolation cells + a death row.
- Add: A slight possibility that prisoners might commit suicide, since it will also happen in real life.
- Add: Library and prisoner jobs, where they could go out and deliver/collect the books from the prisoners.
- Add: Social interaction system between prisoners, and prisoners + staff. Maybe add a social feature to the staff like corrupted guards that would aid the prisoners in smuggling things in and out etc.
rabid squirrel
level1
level1

Postby rabid squirrel » Thu Oct 09, 2014 10:35 am

I want to execute prisoners!
excessusfame
level0

Postby excessusfame » Thu Oct 09, 2014 6:21 pm

I suggest refining the job queue system and how janitor prioritize laundry and cleaning. I have my janitors moving around in the same area in a large group and thus taking a long time to clean up my entire prison. If we could deploy janitors like cooks to kitchen areas that would be great!

Also whenever search cell is used, it automatically searches the prisoners. When they are locked up it would be easy but during daytime all my prisoners are all over the prison. Would really be great if the option allows us to have a choice to search prisoners or only their cells or both. That would really speed up game play also!
Pigeon9441
level1
level1

Postby Pigeon9441 » Mon Oct 13, 2014 11:13 pm

Can we have death row inmates?
People destined for execution similar how some are destined to be released. They probably should be people that are more likely to be volatile, tough, and generally insane and also worth more to hold then max sec prisoners. They can later maybe shown to have a "Suicidal" trait where they'll will try to die similar to an overdose unless saved. Also maybe every few years they go to a pardon hearing room to see if they should be downgraded to "life sentence" if shown to be on good behavior, released, they just continue on their sentence, or immediate death due to bad behavior(killing guards/inmates/beds like crazy). Hopefully this will give a purpose to the execution room finally and give joy to players finally have a way to get rid of Mr. Legendary; The Destroyer of Guards.
Arailies
level1
level1

Postby Arailies » Thu Nov 06, 2014 12:22 pm

Events that can affect your prison and characters in the prison, sort of a news feed.

1.Nearby prison had a successful prison break, prisoners in your prison get a increased freedom need?
2.State/federal law changes (prisoner grant change? or availibility of armed guards or dogs?
3.Accident on the road, prisoner delivery delayed.
4.Hurricane/earthquake nearby, all plots of land surrounding the prison raise in price.
5.Tax scandal, you pay 'X' % more corperation tax for limited time.
6.Warden misplaces a file/files, you lose a research? (so players get more use out of the staff when research is all done?)

Thats all i got for now, hope you guys can develop from these or make some more up.

Kernow bys vikken!
Arailies
level1
level1

Postby Arailies » Fri Nov 07, 2014 6:26 pm

Another feature i suppose we players might like to have to help deal with legendary prisoner(s):

Panic buttons.

In nutshell if you dont know what I mean is that staff and guards who are being attacked, see someone attacking or destroying stuff they can get back up to that specific area by pressing the panic button.

Many prisons have these around for quick lock down of areas and immediate backup, and banks use them to alert all floors and in banks it immediately alerts the police too.

This is just another of my possibly aweful ideas, but hay-ho, deal with it please.

Kernow bys vikken!
WiseWoodrow
level2
level2

Postby WiseWoodrow » Sun Nov 09, 2014 5:51 am

Arailies wrote:Another feature i suppose we players might like to have to help deal with legendary prisoner(s):

Panic buttons.

In nutshell if you dont know what I mean is that staff and guards who are being attacked, see someone attacking or destroying stuff they can get back up to that specific area by pressing the panic button.

Many prisons have these around for quick lock down of areas and immediate backup, and banks use them to alert all floors and in banks it immediately alerts the police too.

This is just another of my possibly aweful ideas, but hay-ho, deal with it please.

Kernow bys vikken!

IIRC there's a great mod for that anyways

Return to “Community Members”