Discussion about Mods for Prison Architect

Moderator: NBJeff

Puman
level1
level1

[MOD] Hot chicks!

Postby Puman » Sat Sep 20, 2014 11:34 am

The amazing henhouse mod

After a lot more work than I thought would be necessary and after altering my plans and coming up with something completely different and then learning lua to quite some extent my first mod is now functional (with some glitches caused by the limitations of the modding system).

Poultry farming will now be available in your prison!

Hens will appear when a feeding trough is placed, and they will then walk about, eat, ♥♥♥♥ and lay eggs. They will need to be fed, and have their excrements cleaned by gardeners or prisoners who have passed the animal care reform program. As long as the hens remain healthy they will occassionally lay a fried (they are hot chicks!) egg which can be used as ingredients.
Known limitations that cannot be fixed in current version of Prison Architect: Will not work through a save/load, the game has to keep running. Hens might walk through doors more than one space wide and can be pushed through walls. Hens belong to their trough, if it is removed they can not eat from a new trough. Graphics will blink.

Download by subscribing here: http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=316266098&searchtext=

Last edited by Puman on Sat Sep 20, 2014 3:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
RichieGrape
level4
level4

Re: [MOD] Hot chicks!

Postby RichieGrape » Sat Sep 20, 2014 2:10 pm

looks good...may i suggest adding a lil more info to your post explaining what exactly you have added..from the pic all we know for sure is that there are chickens and they crap all over the place lol...

are there jobs associated?

what is the input/output of these jobs?

also do you plan on going further with this? any plans to add more features into it?

i assume its all pretty straight forward but who knows. sorry for the 5th degree but i'm curious
Puman
level1
level1

Postby Puman » Sat Sep 20, 2014 4:57 pm

RichieGrape wrote:all we know for sure is that there are chickens and they crap all over the place lol...
:lol: Yeah, thats about it...

RichieGrape wrote:are there jobs associated?
There are three jobs necessary:
- filling the troughs when empty
- cleaning up the crap
- collecting eggs

They can be done in a Animal Farm room after research, and prisoners can work there after a short reform program.

RichieGrape wrote:what is the input/output of these jobs?
The collect egg will spawn an ingredient of type 'fried egg', unfortunately when stacked together the result is random ingredients rather than egg cartons.

RichieGrape wrote:also do you plan on going further with this? any plans to add more features into it?
Might add minor features, will wait until next release to see what that brings us. Getting adding/deletion of multiple items dynamically to work under the current modding system was a lot of work, failed attempts and research (that is also why it can't work in save games)

RichieGrape wrote:i assume its all pretty straight forward but who knows. sorry for the 5th degree but i'm curious
Added the steam description to above post. It contains about 500 lines of lua code (and probably more code than that which had to be deleted because it didn't work out), so I wouldn't call it exactly straight forward. :roll:
knoest26
level5
level5

Postby knoest26 » Sat Sep 20, 2014 7:08 pm

Sounds awesome
sirNoolas
level1
level1

Postby sirNoolas » Sat Sep 20, 2014 8:01 pm

Epic, nice idea! I looked at your code and i think you found a great way around some of the limitations! Great job
Puman
level1
level1

Postby Puman » Sat Sep 20, 2014 11:03 pm

sirNoolas wrote:Epic, nice idea! I looked at your code and i think you found a great way around some of the limitations! Great job

Thank you :)

The engine turned out to be extremely nitpicky about what you could and could not do, I will try to document it properly when I get the time, I only have a rough sketch now.
sirNoolas
level1
level1

Postby sirNoolas » Sat Sep 20, 2014 11:11 pm

The engine turned out to be extremely nitpicky about what you could and could not do, I will try to document it properly when I get the time, I only have a rough sketch now.

Yeah, I found that to, but I didn't see a way, perhaps due to my inexperience, to build something with the abilities we do have.

I'm looking at your lua code just now: I seem to understand how things happen, and I'm working on a test mod based on yours which, hopefully, helps me do this kind of coding fluently myself.

I can't help but say this time after time again: This mod is a great learning opportunity for a lot of modders!
Thanks again ;)

Return to “Modding”