Anyone for a Game?

The place to hang out and talk about totally anything general.
xander
level5
level5

Anyone for a Game?

Postby xander » Thu Sep 04, 2014 6:59 am

Since we haven't played in a while, I thought we might have a round of Mornington Crescent. I believe that you all know the rules and have access to the various compendia and commentaries. Please note that we will be using the ruleset agreed to by the 43rd Annual International Convention on Mornington Crescent from 2013 (the 2014 rules are clearly inferior, and one understands the controversy amongst the players). As per the accords on opening moves ratified at that meeting, I will collect four blue tokens and a white token, play Kings Cross, and pass the dice to my left.

Mornington Crescent in 12.

xander
Xocrates
level5
level5

Re: Anyone for a Game?

Postby Xocrates » Thu Sep 04, 2014 12:08 pm

Oh, that's low, using the opening moves loophole (which, conveniently, had been fixed in the 2014 rules ). I feel tempted to use Ramsey's ortogonal counterplay to send you into a Dollis Hill Loop, but since I'm not that much of a douchebag I'm just going to suck it up, pay the King's toll, lose 3 green tokens, and advance to Lancaster Gate.
trickser
level5
level5

Postby trickser » Thu Sep 04, 2014 1:50 pm

Folks, did you actually play this before? If so I wonder why you believe your cheesy bait tactics will ever gonna work out. I will simply pass the turn now, raise the multiplier and stay at Lancaster Gate.
Suthek
level1
level1

Postby Suthek » Sat Sep 06, 2014 12:18 am

Hey...I hope it's not too late to hop in...and this is actually my first ever round of this...I did do my research, mostly the Little Book, but please be a little lenient.

I did notice though that if I unwrap the map I can use a red token to shift over to Ladbroke Grove...so I guess I'll just do that.
NeatNit
level5
level5

Postby NeatNit » Sat Sep 06, 2014 1:27 am

Suthek wrote:Hey...I hope it's not too late to hop in...and this is actually my first ever round of this...I did do my research, mostly the Little Book, but please be a little lenient.

I did notice though that if I unwrap the map I can use a red token to shift over to Ladbroke Grove...so I guess I'll just do that.

You can't do that until the fifth turn, unless one of the secondary lines has been tagged and reverted.
Xocrates
level5
level5

Postby Xocrates » Sat Sep 06, 2014 2:10 am

NeatNit wrote:
Suthek wrote:Hey...I hope it's not too late to hop in...and this is actually my first ever round of this...I did do my research, mostly the Little Book, but please be a little lenient.

You can't do that until the fifth turn, unless one of the secondary lines has been tagged and reverted.

Actually, due to xander's initial move, the clock moved forward 12 hours and circle line was reversed (which is why the move is such BS), and since trickser passed the turn, we're effectively at turn seven.

Though I should note this is mostly coincidental. The Little Book is a very simplified rulebook based on the 2010 Mornington Crescent consortium accord. Much of which was thrown out in 2012.
It's fine for beginners, but I would strongly encourage reading up the ruleset we're using - I believe Jon and Peters still have their abridged version available online if you want a quick primer.
xander
level5
level5

Postby xander » Sat Sep 06, 2014 4:34 am

Xocrates wrote:Though I should note this is mostly coincidental. The Little Book is a very simplified rulebook based on the 2010 Mornington Crescent consortium accord. Much of which was thrown out in 2012.
It's fine for beginners, but I would strongly encourage reading up the ruleset we're using - I believe Jon and Peters still have their abridged version available online if you want a quick primer.

Jon and Peters is a good place to start, but you really need the unabridged version---there are several major typographical errors in the other version that completely corrupt the meaning of the rules. That being said, the seven volume set "A Brief Introduction to Mornington Crescent for the 21st Century" by Sergei Denisov will probably give a better accounting of the rules as they have been codified prior to publication in 2007. There is also a great deal of errata that can be found on the author's website.

Speaking of which, I found a rather interesting move in the second appendix of volume four of the above listed text. I shall give Xocrates my white token (thereby forcing him to speak in French and only French until the red line is closed), and move my token South Quay. I also note that, while NeatNit called the foul on Suthek, he did not collect six pence to which he was entitled. As per the latest revision of Daniels, Clark, et al. (I apologize for the obscure reference, but missed turns so rarely come up that the procedures can only be found in such texts), I will collect the reward (plus interest) and advance Shadwell.

Mornington Crescent in 8 (thank you, NeatNit)!

xander
NeatNit
level5
level5

Postby NeatNit » Sat Sep 06, 2014 10:30 am

Green-olive Pizza.
Xocrates
level5
level5

Postby Xocrates » Sat Sep 06, 2014 12:04 pm

Merde! :/

Payer 1 jeton bleu, 1 blanc, 1 rouge.

Aller à Bond Street.

Which allows me to go back to English under article 17, subsection 32 of the National colours clause. Though annoyingly this places me even further back :(

However, I can still steal one token from... let's say... NeatNit (I'll take a pink one, please), decrease the multiplier by two, use the token to reverse the blue line between South Ealing and Hammersmith and accuse xander, forcing him to stay put for 2 turns.
NeatNit
level5
level5

Postby NeatNit » Wed Sep 10, 2014 9:09 pm

Why is everyone against me?

I collect the dice and place them with 5 and 3 facing down and left respectively.
microchip08
level5
level5

Postby microchip08 » Wed Sep 10, 2014 9:47 pm

NeatNit wrote:I collect the dice.

My good man, you realise that's not possible. As you'll recall from the infamous crown dependencies 1987 couples match between the teams for Guernsey and Isle of Man, numerical dice are only in play at the usual fixed intervals on the DLR.

I was planning to play Embankment, but I can utilise your irregular move to slingshot past London Bridge (possible as the diamond tokens there are *not* stacked) and onto Moorgate, which rather neatly shunts xander along the docks to Canada Water, hopefully denying his fairly unothordox yet utterly transparent attempt at coercing Xocrates into paying for a one-to-six travelcard.
NeatNit
level5
level5

Postby NeatNit » Wed Sep 10, 2014 10:15 pm

Argh, fine...

It is now Xocrates' turn - I recommend the reverse-evenington maneuver.
xander
level5
level5

Postby xander » Wed Sep 10, 2014 11:45 pm

microchip08 wrote:...which rather neatly shunts xander along the docks to Canada Water, hopefully denying his fairly unothordox yet utterly transparent attempt at coercing Xocrates into paying for a one-to-six travelcard.

Damnit! I thought that was a rather obscure move, considering that it has never been seen in tournament play, and only discussed in ancient usenet forums. Well, I shall have to rethink my strategy. I think I am going to have to go old school---Hypatia wrote a treatise before the sacking of the library which is relevant to the current game. I will remain where I am for the moment, collect an amphora of honey and an amphora of wine, and halt the movements of all green and blue players for the next three turns. Happily, this only sets me back half a turn.

Mornington Crescent in 8.5.

xander
trickser
level5
level5

Postby trickser » Thu Sep 11, 2014 6:08 pm

What a relief! I forgot how color mixing is handeled and I feared I would be stuck on my line. But Appendix F §65 Clause 14 of Mornington Crescent for Dummys says colors are stacked alphabetically (with minor exceptions noted in Clauses 15-34), phew.

So I move the date line to Green Park, by taking the left over half turn I can shop at Marpel Arch, nap at Ladbroke Grove and lock myself anywhere in Acton before the night turns come and the rapscallion collects my tokens, I hope you didn't plan to use yours for anything important!
Xocrates
level5
level5

Postby Xocrates » Sat Sep 13, 2014 1:23 am

NeatNit wrote:It is now Xocrates' turn - I recommend the reverse-evenington maneuver.

Suuuuure. That sounds like a marvellous idea :roll:

Sadly I got distracted and missed a couple of turns. Fortunately, I've fallen so far behind that I can Eccleston's "rubber-band" tactic as used in the 1964 Mornington Crescent Anglo-Norse cup in Helsinki and take a shortcut to Alperton, collecting two hypercubes along the way - though not the 7 blue tickets due to 1972's revision by the Mornington Crescenst Patriachical Order from Southern Wales.

Return to “Introversion Lounge”