In RL all available guards help with a fight ...

(previously 'DEVELOPER') Private forum for registered community members. To register, please visit www.prison-architect.com/register.

Moderator: NBJeff

Renaissance0321
level0

In RL all available guards help with a fight ...

Postby Renaissance0321 » Fri May 09, 2014 2:00 am

Maybe I'm doing something wrong but if one of my guards gets into a fight with a prisoner none of my guards go to assist unless they are in the vicinity. Shouldn't there be a radio broadcast for help and available guards (especially the ones farting around in the delivery area FOR NO REASON) go to assist? As it is right now I have to try to track down some guards, select them and tell them to go. Patrols are never guaranteed to be in the right place at the right time and having everyone stationed doesn't allow for other stuff to be done around the prison...

Also can I suggest having a response team on standby like in RL? Besides the riot police? Most prisons have heavily armored special response teams designed to go in and deal with barricaded or troublesome inmates. You wouldn't send in armed guards to do that because weapons aren't allowed inside the prison...
5hifty
level4
level4

Re: In RL all available guards help with a fight ...

Postby 5hifty » Fri May 09, 2014 9:21 am

I find the most annoying instance of this is guards who are within 3-5 cells sizes distance to a guard being attacked, in the same room, who don't respond because they are patrolling.
DarknessEyes
level2
level2

Postby DarknessEyes » Fri May 09, 2014 6:34 pm

Pause the game
zoom out
hold and drag your left mouse button from top left corner to bottom right corner <- This will select all guards, dog handlers and armed guards (This doesnt select any cookers, janitors, medics, etc).
right click in fight area.
Unpause the game.

This way all guards will get there to help.
Karrade
level1
level1

Postby Karrade » Sat May 17, 2014 1:52 pm

Renaissance0321 wrote:Also can I suggest having a response team on standby like in RL? Besides the riot police? Most prisons have heavily armored special response teams designed to go in and deal with barricaded or troublesome inmates. You wouldn't send in armed guards to do that because weapons aren't allowed inside the prison...

I would agree for advanced prisons but with a choice of weapons, from non lethal to lethal. Rifles, semi automatics, pepper spray, tasers etc. There should be something like this in reserve so you could have a couple of personnel on standby if things ever got out of hand.

I disagree weapons are not allowed in prison, in some countries yes but in many they are.
Keragon
level0

Postby Keragon » Wed May 21, 2014 8:37 am

DarknessEyes wrote:Pause the game
zoom out
hold and drag your left mouse button from top left corner to bottom right corner <- This will select all guards, dog handlers and armed guards (This doesnt select any cookers, janitors, medics, etc).
Unpause the game.

I believe what the OP is suggesting is that they should automatically back each other up, this shouldn't be an issue that you have to micro manage, and I agree with him.
lunaticneko
level2
level2

Postby lunaticneko » Wed May 21, 2014 3:05 pm

I agree that all guards nearby should try to break the fight automatically without waiting for player input.

Maybe severity of a fight could affect the response range, with a full riot calling in every available guard, even those in the break room.
5hifty
level4
level4

Postby 5hifty » Wed May 21, 2014 4:02 pm

lunaticneko wrote:Maybe severity of a fight could affect the response range, with a full riot calling in every available guard, even those in the break room.

Ugh hell no. It's already a mission trying to get 2 guards out of a cellblock before they are beaten down by20 or so inmates. I don't need a constant trickle of guards committing suicide. I just want my guard give able to see more then 5 feet away. But now that I think about it, being able to preselect guard responses would be awesome. Say something like 'if riot: everybody fall back to the gates' or 'if fight: call nearest 3 guards' etc etc. could be something that I research after deployment like 'Radio Contact' or even 'Common Sense' :P
neale1993
level1
level1

Postby neale1993 » Wed May 21, 2014 4:22 pm

I believe this is something that will be improved in time.

If i'm right, Chris eventually is going to remove direct control over the guards, any interactions will be completed by setting patrols, guard deployment etc. This in turn will call for the need of some type of "emergency response" function which summons available guards to a riot, fight or a guard in trouble. It may be automatic, it may be carried out by spotting fights on CCTV cameras, i dont know. However pretty sure something will come along.
LoZz27
level0

Postby LoZz27 » Tue Jul 08, 2014 9:30 am

good idea.

in RL not all guards would respond, some would be kept in current position to maintain control of the other prisoners and also encase of a distraction. all "spare" guards would respond.
so i would suggest that all guards not assigned to patrol etc would/should respond.

also your guards do not carry radios. perhaps like with cctv or tazers its something you need to unlock and build a radio control room and then you can have an emergency response.
dapullia
level1
level1

Postby dapullia » Thu Jul 17, 2014 2:56 am

Just 2 cents here....It would be helpful to have an option to have a policy where an alarm sounds when there is an incident and inmates are required to freeze in place (basically drop to the floor and take a seat) until the all clear is sounded or face time in the hole. There are policies similar to this in real prisons I have seen on documentaries on TV. The general idea is that it is a less sever form of lockup that also encourages inmates to not participate in the fight or altercation. It also would mean that any inmate not complying would be subject to a tazer, beat down, etc and punishment for being involved in the incident. Once the incident was over, the all clear would sound and prisoners pick up right where they left off. I see this as something perhaps requiring a research investment (maybe Crowd Control or a similar topic).
Stealth2668
level1
level1

Postby Stealth2668 » Sat Aug 02, 2014 8:55 pm

DarknessEyes wrote:Pause the game
zoom out
Unpause the game.

I agree with OP. I just had a riot and there were fights all over the prison, not just one spot. I needed them to fan out and go to the nearest fight. Your way makes them all clutter to one spot. Also, armed guards should act like normal guards and go around doing something instead on me having to find them in a prison with 300 prisoners and 50 guards scattered around.
export
level0

Postby export » Sat Aug 02, 2014 9:18 pm

Renaissance0321 wrote:In RL all available guards help with a fight ...

So let me get this straight in Real life all Guards run to one fight and stop guarding the other prisoners? I would suspect that it is very easy to escape from prisons when guards really act like that.
Stealth2668
level1
level1

Postby Stealth2668 » Sat Aug 02, 2014 10:09 pm

export wrote:
Renaissance0321 wrote:In RL all available guards help with a fight ...

So let me get this straight in Real life all Guards run to one fight and stop guarding the other prisoners? I would suspect that it is very easy to escape from prisons when guards really act like that.

He said all available, not every single one. I think you know what he means, you just want to troll. During a riot I'd have guards that aren't patrolling, clustered in the deliveries since they tend to gather there by default instead of helping. So I would have one guard fighting 5 inmates and 20 guards sitting in deliveries doing nothing until I manually tell them to go help. This doesn't make sense...
xander
level5
level5

Postby xander » Sun Aug 03, 2014 12:19 am

Stealth2668 wrote:I think you know what he means, you just want to troll.

The accusation of trolling is a bit over the top and entirely unnecessary. I, too, found the phrasing to be confusing and had the some comment in mind when the topic was originally posted, so I can see how it very easily could have been in earnest and not a purposeful attempt to troll. His tone may not have been the best, but I find that it is better to assume that someone who expresses confusion is honestly confused and treat them that way rather than trying to start a fight by accusing someone of trolling. Your interpretation also seems reasonable (and, at the end of the day, a better idea all around).

xander

Return to “Community Members”