[Suggestion] Dangerous Doors (Power Outage)

(previously 'DEVELOPER') Private forum for registered community members. To register, please visit www.prison-architect.com/register.

Moderator: NBJeff

AdmiralHalsey
level0

[Suggestion] Dangerous Doors (Power Outage)

Postby AdmiralHalsey » Mon Jun 30, 2014 9:43 pm

In my experience, losing power has been rather... Dull. People kept on working, teaching, patrolling. Apparently having a torch solves all problems! This got me thinking. What could be bad about losing power...

Door Power Failure

Purpose - To give further challenge by the game and make power management essential by imposing harsh penalties.

Outline - The Player is given an option on the policy menu. Door auto lock, or door auto unlocked. When a building looses power (exactly how this is defined can be left suitably vague for now) all the doors within that building revert to the players chosen state. Either locking all prisoners/guards/staff into their respective rooms, or giving everyone free run of the area.

Game Benefit - The player is given the another option to influence their prison and is duely challenged and forced to work within the constraints of the power system. One misplaced capacitor, and that Max Security wing beside the armoury might be locked open. Or just as easily your poor workmen might be locked in with said prisoners to meet an untimely demise...
keep_on
level1
level1

Re: [Suggestion] Dangerous Doors (Power Outage)

Postby keep_on » Sat Jul 05, 2014 4:48 am

You will be very disapointed when you will watch your workers stuck behind a locked door instead of dismantle this little wire cable to ease your power station,
The joke works also with a guard stuck behind a locked door instead of opening the door to that workers, or with a guard stuck behing a locked door instead of turning this swith off to lighten the power station...

The option "all doors locked" is very dangerous I think, because it can result in an impossible and scary situation... NO ONE WILL NEVER GET OUT OF HERE!

That said, I must agree that when power is lost, there must be a challenge to face... I think that "ALL DOORS OPEN" is a good a disuasive deal to have the players taking care of what they connect to the power station.
Robbedem
level2
level2

Postby Robbedem » Sat Jul 05, 2014 4:18 pm

I don't agree with all doors open. Most doors wouldn't be elektric anyway. Those that are have a manual safeguard.
Maybe an elektric doortype good be added that automaticly opens the door when the person is allowed through. When there is no power, a guard has to come to open the door (like the doors now).

To increase the penalty of a power outage, they could increase likelyhood of riot, increase stealing (because metal detectors won't work and guards can't see what's happening if it's dark), increase fights between prisoners, prisoners might kill someone (other prisoner or even staff/guard),...
Lots of things that can be done to make power failure have a bigger effect without strange mechanics like "all doors open".
Stealth2668
level1
level1

Postby Stealth2668 » Sun Jul 06, 2014 1:49 pm

Ya, all doors open doesn't make sense. If the power is cut, how would they just open? Also like the above said, doors are manual or are opened with a key. I don't see how power outage can magically make them open when they're not connected to the grid :/
MAdMaN
level4
level4

Postby MAdMaN » Sun Jul 06, 2014 2:00 pm

Stealth2668 wrote:Ya, all doors open doesn't make sense. If the power is cut, how would they just open?

The door is has a spring that opens it and an electomagnet closes it and holds it closed.

Stealth2668 wrote:Also like the above said, doors are manual or are opened with a key. I don't see how power outage can magically make them open when they're not connected to the grid :/

Then how do all the cell doors open at the same time during non-Lockup regime time? No guards open them.
Stealth2668
level1
level1

Postby Stealth2668 » Sun Jul 06, 2014 8:15 pm

MAdMaN wrote:
Stealth2668 wrote:Ya, all doors open doesn't make sense. If the power is cut, how would they just open?

The door is has a spring that opens it and an electomagnet closes it and holds it closed.

Stealth2668 wrote:Also like the above said, doors are manual or are opened with a key. I don't see how power outage can magically make them open when they're not connected to the grid :/

Then how do all the cell doors open at the same time during non-Lockup regime time? No guards open them.

I doesn't matter. If they're not connected to the actual grid then the grid getting cut should have no effect on their behavior. Why does the grid getting cut suddenly effect doors that are never connected to it to begin with?

That said, there should definitely be consequences; as an above poster said, it'd make more sense if there was an increase in violence, theft and escape attempts. This makes the most sense since it's when the facility should be the most vulnerable.
pati04
level1
level1

Postby pati04 » Wed Jul 09, 2014 7:25 am

I would choose all doors locked in my case. Guards now will open the locked doors but it would take a bit longer becouse the
electric motor is not working. Guards will prefer to open locked doors for workman becouse they can fix that.
christopher1006
level5
level5

Postby christopher1006 » Tue Jul 15, 2014 5:40 am

Ignoring how the doors are opened, which Chris mentioned we may or may not see more customization on as they could be mechanically powered like Alcatraz or have electric options, I don't see why it should be all locked or unlocked. Sure, an option to do that to the entire prison or building would be handy but it would make more sense to be able to set the unpowered and powered status of individual doors. That way I can form emergency paths so workers can get to generators and service areas in order to modify the power load as I deem is necessary. Something we could also do is add the ability to pay the government hourly for emergency power to our generators, as they are technically transformers feeding off of the power grid according to the tutorial, so that the player will have the option to stave off a full lockdown while they make emergency repairs if they were smart and have plenty of funds available.

Return to “Community Members”