[Suggestion] Cancel Grants

(previously 'DEVELOPER') Private forum for registered community members. To register, please visit www.prison-architect.com/register.

Moderator: NBJeff

Stealth2668
level1
level1

[Suggestion] Cancel Grants

Postby Stealth2668 » Tue Jun 24, 2014 2:43 am

Since the nutrition research grant is broken (resets up load) it would be nice to be able to cancel grants. Even when they are fixed, if you realize later that you can't complete a grant after you take it, it would take up a slot for a long time. Since you sometimes get an advance payment, you'd have to pay it back in order to cancel it.
jakeakas4l
level0

Re: [Suggestion] Cancel Grants

Postby jakeakas4l » Wed Jun 25, 2014 12:56 am

I second this. It's rather annoying not being able to cancel grants.
ptreese84
level0

Postby ptreese84 » Wed Jun 25, 2014 2:30 am

+1
Kirbyfreak411
level1
level1

Postby Kirbyfreak411 » Wed Jun 25, 2014 4:55 am

+1

Yes please. I also agree with paying-back advance payments to avoid cancellations getting broken.
Heck... if they wanna punish reckless grant cancellation, there could be a cancellation fee included as well, though the amount charged would vary.
Raidhyn
level0

Postby Raidhyn » Thu Jun 26, 2014 9:29 pm

+1 This

You could probably also have some sort of balancing mechanic where it affects your credit rating or tax rate.
christopher1006
level5
level5

Postby christopher1006 » Thu Jun 26, 2014 11:03 pm

I would say yes so long as you have to pay the advance pay back and maybe a penalty. This would discourage players from trying to break the system by taking free money and not bothering to spend the money required to complete the goal. In real life you don't get to tell the government that you appreciate that 20 thousand dollars but you're just gonna keep it and they won't get what they asked for.
Robbedem
level2
level2

Postby Robbedem » Fri Jun 27, 2014 12:43 pm

Indeed, you should have to pay a penalty, otherwise grants would be a free loan.
Perhaps their should be a time limit on grants. When the grant is not completed in time, you have to repay the advance payment and a penalty that is bigger than the loan interest.
Dajmin
level1
level1

Postby Dajmin » Fri Jun 27, 2014 1:17 pm

I've wanted this for a while as well, so it gets a +1 from me.

I think something like a 15-20% charge on top of the refund seems like it'd be enough to stop you using it as a loan, without making it so harsh that it screws you over if you genuinely wanted to complete it but can't.
lugaru
level3
level3

Postby lugaru » Fri Jun 27, 2014 2:13 pm

While I've never been in a situation where I had thought I needed to cancel a grant, I also +1 because I might at some point and for sure other players will. I like the idea of adding it to a 'loan' if you dont have the money, so you are paying interest until you can clear up the whole failed grant issue.

Then if you take another grant in it's place you need to ask 'is this going into my prison or into my debts?'
chrisjones199
level1
level1

Postby chrisjones199 » Fri Jun 27, 2014 5:28 pm

+1 for either being able to cancel a grant or for it to have a time limit. But there should definitely be a penalty for cancelling it or for failing to do it within the time limit - Having time limits would make the grants like little missions \ challenges and to complete the grant would be seen as an achievement. You could then introduce (for instance) a grant to reduce the re-offending rate of your prisoners.
Kirbyfreak411
level1
level1

Postby Kirbyfreak411 » Sun Jun 29, 2014 3:43 pm

While I'm all for cancellation penalties/fees, I'm not so much for a time-limit on grants. Especially on some that really take time to do, such as the Education Reform grant. It takes a lot of time to pass prisoners through those classes and a time-limit would be too much pressure.
So yeah, I don't agree with adding time-limits.
MAdMaN
level4
level4

Postby MAdMaN » Sun Jun 29, 2014 4:46 pm

Kirbyfreak411 wrote:While I'm all for cancellation penalties/fees, I'm not so much for a time-limit on grants. Especially on some that really take time to do, such as the Education Reform grant. It takes a lot of time to pass prisoners through those classes and a time-limit would be too much pressure.
So yeah, I don't agree with adding time-limits.

No one's saying that every grant has to have a time limit.
Stealth2668
level1
level1

Postby Stealth2668 » Sun Jul 06, 2014 10:38 pm

To be honest I'd rather have to pay a cancelation fee rather than being under time pressure. I wanna play at my own pace rather than rush to fulfill requirements
Kernook
level1
level1

Postby Kernook » Sun Jul 06, 2014 11:43 pm

I would love to see more grants, without having to add mods to my game... but I also agree with canceling them. I feel it would be helpful...of course, nine times out of ten, you get a little bit of money for canceling a grant, so, I would say that canceling a grant should be free the first time (with a warning), and then, increasing increments of money a person would have to pay off each time they cancel a grant afterward.
henke37
level2
level2

Postby henke37 » Mon Jul 07, 2014 12:08 pm

A cancellation fee and having to pay back the advance payment is a good solution. But I dunno about a time limit.

A possible setup would be to have the cancellation fee vary depending on the time since taking the grant. Instantly canceling should be free, but at some point it becomes cheaper to just complete the grant.

Return to “Community Members”