Bug Bash: Support your favourite bug!

(previously 'DEVELOPER') Private forum for registered community members. To register, please visit www.prison-architect.com/register.

Moderator: NBJeff

John
Introversion Staff
Introversion Staff

Bug Bash: Support your favourite bug!

Postby John » Mon May 26, 2014 10:56 am

Hi Everyone!

We're going to start a round of bug fixes soon, so it's really important that everyone log into mantis and support your favourite bugs. This will help us prioritise which issues we fix.

Thanks

John
RGeezy911
level5
level5

Re: Bug Bash: Support your favourite bug!

Postby RGeezy911 » Mon May 26, 2014 6:55 pm

Time to start tagging and voting. Also, this video is now placed on the main page of the dev wiki for more coverage.
mazetar
level2
level2

Postby mazetar » Fri May 30, 2014 1:29 pm

What would be the optimal way to let you know about duplicates?
Would it be to determine the original/(most active) open issue, tag the others with "duplicate" tag and make a note saying "duplicate of #ISSUE_NUMBER" in the duplicate issue?

Also what would be the best thing to do when the bug has been marked as "resolved" in an earlier version but then is still bugged in the next?
Would it be to handle the new duplicates as above, and tag the resolved issue with some tag like "reopen" to indicate this?
Or would it perhaps be simpler to treat the newer issues as a seperate set of duplicates, and use one as the main issue while tagging the rest as duplicates?

yeah, many questions for small details but I assume that if one attempts to follow your practices then it will be easier for you to shift thought them :)
_alphaBeta_
level4
level4

Postby _alphaBeta_ » Sat May 31, 2014 4:26 am

A lot of discussion on your questions takes place starting on page 7 of the Mantis announcement thread (starting with this post specifically). Read through the rest of the thread from there. Essentially, we're not sure what IV's intentions or wishes are for controlling the growing number of duplicates. I'd think that the lowest artifact number (the oldest) should become the master to which all duplicates are closed and linked to. As the linked thread describes, there were originally a few volunteer moderators that kept the reports organized, but their directive or guidance from IV remains mostly a mystery, and they no longer seem to be active. All the community can do is point out the duplicates, but with no flags or links being set and duplicates actually being closed, there doesn't seem to be much point.

I suppose for now, IV is at least tolerating the situation and relying on the community voting system built into Mantis to steer the direction. If duplicates are ranked highly together, that's an area to address. The duplicates still skew the results, however, since they have the potential to split the votes for important bugs amongst many reports (concerning the same bug), negatively impacting the rankings.

There's no advantage to having duplicate reports in a bug tracking system. I suppose the situation is workable in the short-term, but I fear where the current trends will take us as we approach beta.
John
Introversion Staff
Introversion Staff

Postby John » Sat May 31, 2014 8:39 am

The following users currently have 'Updater' status that will allow them to update duplicates.

Reef
koshensky
Phydaux
Guvnor

If someone is keen to find and mark duplicates, send me a PM and I'll add you to this list.

I think in terms of marking duplicates, probably the bug with the most useful information should be kept open. This is probably going to be the older bug.
Korthal
level1
level1

Postby Korthal » Sun Jun 01, 2014 11:49 pm

Will there be builds released throughout the month?
RGeezy911
level5
level5

Postby RGeezy911 » Sun Jun 01, 2014 11:53 pm

According to the Alpha 21 video, yes. We should be getting regular updates throughout the weeks of this month.
xander
level5
level5

Postby xander » Sun Jun 01, 2014 11:55 pm

RGeezy911 has been making fantastic progress on Reef's assignment list---if he is not already an updater, someone should probably change his status.

xander
RGeezy911
level5
level5

Postby RGeezy911 » Mon Jun 02, 2014 12:03 am

I'm not an updater, but if Reef needs the help I can definitely volunteer. Plenty of free time is ahead of me.
acegamer08
level3
level3

Postby acegamer08 » Mon Jun 02, 2014 12:44 pm

RGeezy911 wrote:According to the Alpha 21 video, yes. We should be getting regular updates throughout the weeks of this month.

only for steam users, non steam users will have to wait.
mazetar
level2
level2

Postby mazetar » Wed Jun 04, 2014 1:01 am

The releases on steam will be in a seperate branch, and are for testing if the bugs really are fixed :)
And also to test if a bugfix created/revelead new bugs.

So those not using steam aren't missing out on any real release.
Just felt to clarify that :)
_alphaBeta_
level4
level4

Postby _alphaBeta_ » Wed Jun 04, 2014 3:19 am

mazetar wrote:The releases on steam will be in a seperate branch, and are for testing if the bugs really are fixed :)
And also to test if a bugfix created/revelead new bugs.

So those not using steam aren't missing out on any real release.
Just felt to clarify that :)

Are you saying IV are going to make use of Steam's BETA functionality? Where was this announcement, I must have missed it? I assumed they'd push these BugBash builds out like any other Alpha build for simplicity.
mazetar
level2
level2

Postby mazetar » Wed Jun 04, 2014 5:38 am

_alphaBeta_ wrote:Are you saying IV are going to make use of Steam's BETA functionality? Where was this announcement, I must have missed it? I assumed they'd push these BugBash builds out like any other Alpha build for simplicity.

Had to recheck mysef so I found the source.

In the Alpha 21 youtube video at around 22:40.
Or to be exact: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n7nQODd ... yBg#t=1360

:)
_alphaBeta_
level4
level4

Postby _alphaBeta_ » Wed Jun 04, 2014 11:45 am

Got it, thanks. Didn't catch that the first time.
DeputyLOL
level1
level1

Postby DeputyLOL » Wed Jun 04, 2014 2:09 pm

First Bugbash came out for steam users. They fixed the guards seeking medical attention (but there is now a new bug: http://bugs.introversion.co.uk/view.php?id=4439), drains and some other things. Its coming along nicely

Return to “Community Members”