Other forms of death sentence

(previously 'DEVELOPER') Private forum for registered community members. To register, please visit www.prison-architect.com/register.

Moderator: NBJeff

5hifty
level4
level4

Other forms of death sentence

Postby 5hifty » Sun Jun 01, 2014 3:50 am

When we start usin death row, would it be possible to get some difference ways to implement the prisoners sentence? I'm not exactly comfortable with the electric chair (wiki some of the things that happen). These people may be murdered, but I'm not really feeling like setting them on fire, zapping them and not killing then, and all the other ways it can go wrong.

Just off the top of my head, there are plenty of other ways to do it. A doctor could administer a leathery injection, I could use my armed guards as a firing squad (my preferences option, there are even a few people in the US scheduled to have that happen)
acegamer08
level3
level3

Re: Other forms of death sentence

Postby acegamer08 » Sun Jun 01, 2014 3:55 am

Last edited by acegamer08 on Wed Jul 30, 2014 12:00 am, edited 1 time in total.
5hifty
level4
level4

Postby 5hifty » Sun Jun 01, 2014 4:27 am

acegamer08 wrote:not sure we are ever going to use deathrow...thats a subject they dont want to talk about.. i assume we may get some (limited) use for "the chair" in story mode (or what ever they will call it),...but i dont think they want it used in sandbox.

Ok, even in story mode. I would prefer not to use the chair. It is seriously one of the worst ways to go... I would feel better having people drop heavy rocks on my prisoners heads then put them in the chair.
acegamer08
level3
level3

Postby acegamer08 » Sun Jun 01, 2014 4:38 am

Last edited by acegamer08 on Wed Jul 30, 2014 12:00 am, edited 1 time in total.
5hifty
level4
level4

Postby 5hifty » Sun Jun 01, 2014 4:55 am

I'm aware of what it looks like in game. What I'm talking about is that the electric chair is an outdated and barbaric form of execution. Even when they invented it they were aware that it was a bad way to go. If I execute people, I would prefer it to be via a method that doesn't cause undue pain and suffering, such as a firing squad or lethal injection.
acegamer08
level3
level3

Postby acegamer08 » Sun Jun 01, 2014 5:00 am

Last edited by acegamer08 on Wed Jul 30, 2014 12:01 am, edited 2 times in total.
5hifty
level4
level4

Postby 5hifty » Sun Jun 01, 2014 5:12 am

Wiki wrote:The electric chair has been criticized because of several instances in which the subjects were killed only after being subjected to multiple electric shocks.

In 1946, the electric chair failed to kill Willie Francis, who reportedly shrieked "take it off! Let me breathe!" after the current was applied.

Recorded incidents of botched electrocutions were prevalent after the national moratorium ended January 17, 1977; two in Alabama, three in Florida, one in Georgia, one in Indiana and three in Virginia.

http://www.deathpenaltyinfo.org/some-examples-post-furman-botched-executions wrote:1. August 10, 1982. Virginia. Frank J. Coppola. Electrocution
2. April 22, 1983. Alabama. John Evans. Electrocution
4. December 12, 1984. Georgia. Alpha Otis Stephens. Electrocution
6. October 16, 1985. Indiana. William E. Vandiver
11. July 14, 1989. Alabama. Horace Franklin Dunkins, Jr.
14. October 17, 1990. Virginia. Wilbert Lee Evans. Electrocution
15. August 22, 1991. Virginia. Derick Lynn Peterson. Electrocution
25. March 25, 1997. Florida. Pedro Medina. Electrocution
31. July 8, 1999. Florida. Allen Lee Davis. Electrocution

Tho after reading a little more about lethal injections, I remove my support of them as well (that said, most of the 'botches' tend to be the inability to find a vein). My prefered method would be to use my Armed Guards (or a variant of) as a firing squad.
Last edited by 5hifty on Sun Jun 01, 2014 7:12 am, edited 1 time in total.
acegamer08
level3
level3

Postby acegamer08 » Sun Jun 01, 2014 5:40 am

Last edited by acegamer08 on Wed Jul 30, 2014 12:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
DarkOdino
level1
level1

Postby DarkOdino » Sun Jun 01, 2014 10:30 pm

Man, are you really worried of causing "sufference" to a 8-bit model? :shock:

Death sentence is questionable, some states have it (America for example), others think its immoral (some part of Europe), but this is not the place to discuss about morality. It's a game.. you arent a real architect, and these are not real prisoners.

If you feel so empathetic for digital people, think about developers who have already made the eletric chair and they should (to accomplish your request), make other strings of code, and the effort requiered...

I think you have never played Defcon lol :twisted:
5hifty
level4
level4

Postby 5hifty » Sun Jun 01, 2014 11:03 pm

It's not about empahy, it's about gameplay choice. I can slam all my prisoners into 3x2 cells with just a bed or a toilet, or put them in larger cushy cells with a tv window and bookcase. I can make them exercise in a bar bones yard, or fill it with benches, weights and phones. I can suppress everyone with Armed Guards and make them work 12 hour days or make them happy with nice food and lots of free time. I would like to be able to brutally fry my death row mates with the chair, or offer the a more humain choice.
DarkOdino
level1
level1

Postby DarkOdino » Sun Jun 01, 2014 11:32 pm

5hifty wrote:It's not about empahy, it's about gameplay choice. I can slam all my prisoners into 3x2 cells with just a bed or a toilet, or put them in larger cushy cells with a tv window and bookcase. I can make them exercise in a bar bones yard, or fill it with benches, weights and phones. I can suppress everyone with Armed Guards and make them work 12 hour days or make them happy with nice food and lots of free time. I would like to be able to brutally fry my death row mates with the chair, or offer the a more humain choice.

Let them starve for 2 days, watch the riot begin, call soldiers --> more human choice for everybody
hawk_za
level1
level1

Postby hawk_za » Mon Jun 02, 2014 9:29 am

In Briton a documentary was made over this topic and it had an interesting conclusion

all current execution methods we currently employ are quite evil but some like lethal injection are a bit more pleasant to watch the ones that seem to be better for the victim are actual quite gruesome to us (shooting)

beheading - been proved that the head carry's on living for about 1 min after its severed

hanging - often botched by the executioner as it is a imperfect science and the executioner has to guess how long the drop must be according to the persons build and weight to long head pops off
to short and they suffocate

lethal injection - again imperfect science as the executioner must again guess at the amount of drugs to use leading to mistakes

firing squad - well if they miss your in for a shit death i know i seen to many gunshot victims

electrocution - again imperfect science we know electricity can stop a heart but it vary from person to person with amount and with current flow

when he final came to hypoxia he found it was painless and after having gone through it himself the narrator of this documentary said near the end he felt a great feeling of euphoria naturally they stopped the experiment just before he died and it was in a controlled environment that they use for high inflight test pilots to simulate high g maneuvers.

when he approached the penal system to have this new method put in place he was told no it is the stats job to make execution painful and unpleasant as a part of the punishment for what that person did and to serve as a deterrent

so it comes down to a opinion

there is a link to the you tube versions if you really want to understand this topic please watch this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vbAmu3DXk5c

again it is NOT for the ADMINISTRATOR of a prison to determine WHO HOW of WHEN that is the job of the state we just carry out the order
hope this clears things up a bit for anyone wanting to really get to grips with this issue
5hifty
level4
level4

Postby 5hifty » Mon Jun 02, 2014 9:52 am

hawk_za wrote:again it is NOT for the ADMINISTRATOR of a prison to determine WHO HOW of WHEN that is the job of the state we just carry out the order
hope this clears things up a bit for anyone wanting to really get to grips with this issue

Well not really. The game doesn't have a state. Also there are plenty of in game decisions that we make that wouldn't be made by the person who designs the prison.
hawk_za
level1
level1

Postby hawk_za » Mon Jun 02, 2014 10:09 am

5hifty wrote:
hawk_za wrote:again it is NOT for the ADMINISTRATOR of a prison to determine WHO HOW of WHEN that is the job of the state we just carry out the order

Well not really. The game doesn't have a state. Also there are plenty of in game decisions that we make that wouldn't be made by the person who designs the prison.

then who delivers the current prisoners how did they get the sentences that they have to serve in our prisons if there is no state
the state is simulated in the background mechanic or prisoners arriving with there sentences already in place it up to you to decide how they live are they going to get nice cells of crap ones or spend all there time in solitary.
but you cant add to or detract from those sentences as that is not the current roll of the administrator.

you also said you want choice to give them a humane way of dieing as far as i am aware that depends on the state you are in in some states they give you the choice upon sentencing in others its up to the judge

ps by state that can also be a separate country

that's just the way i see things
5hifty
level4
level4

Postby 5hifty » Mon Jun 02, 2014 11:01 am

Actually the prisoners can choose his sentence from the ones available in his state. At least in the US anyway.

Return to “Community Members”