(Suggestion) floors/stories

(previously 'DEVELOPER') Private forum for registered community members. To register, please visit www.prison-architect.com/register.

Moderator: NBJeff

TheOneAndOnlyPotato
level1
level1

(Suggestion) floors/stories

Postby TheOneAndOnlyPotato » Sun May 25, 2014 5:10 am

Prison Architect is by far the best game I have ever played, and I think adding several stories would be great.

In the building tab there is
-building
-bulldoze
(And) floor
After that there should be add floor. It costs 2x as much as a foundation, and when completed you get to place stairs, at which point it will be completed instantly. On the left of the screen, there are two arows, a down and up. When clicking up, you will see all on that floor, and if you click down, you see that floor. If there is a building that does not have a second floor, and you are currently viewing that second floor, you will see just shingles. The limit is 5 floors

Prisoners on a second floor can not dig tunnels out, but if there is a cell on top of the armory, a prisoner can dig through the floor and go into he armory, like a one way trip. There prisoners can go down that way to.
christhekiller
level3
level3

Re: (Suggestion) floors/stories

Postby christhekiller » Sun May 25, 2014 6:33 am

It's been suggested, many many many many many many times before.

The general consensus is that it's not particularly necessary. Since we don't need multiple floors to expand our prisoners further (since we can expand the borders) and it'd be awkward with our top-down view
5hifty
level4
level4

Postby 5hifty » Sun May 25, 2014 7:46 am

christhekiller wrote:It's been suggested, many many many many many many times before.

I don't think you emphasized just how 'many' times. A more appropriate response would have been "It's been suggested, many x 234525235^3455345454 times before."
Mr9kM
level1
level1

Postby Mr9kM » Sun May 25, 2014 1:28 pm

i dont like the idea of more floors.

It would be too much to keep track off a huge map prison, times 2 or more for the floors. You would only be able to see 1 floor at the time.
Wich Means that if there is troubble on both floors you have to stear firemen, riot police and guards around two or more floors, depending on how many there should be.
5hifty
level4
level4

Postby 5hifty » Sun May 25, 2014 3:52 pm

My biggest gripe with floors is: how would they graphically show it? I see both sides of a wall, once side of a door, a fence side on.. I really don't see a why to show height without the object footprint being bigger then it really it, to allow it to have the extra 'space' needed to represent its self vertically. (I know I'm talking about objects and not floors, but if they put levels in, you would need objects that span more then one floor, and if they don't, it would mean flicking between being able to see different levels, and, well that just seems painful.)
knoest26
level5
level5

Postby knoest26 » Sun May 25, 2014 8:43 pm

I don't see why somebody would object to the idea because they think it messes with the view. Why don't you let players who want to use it, use it and if you don't like simply leave it?
laser50
level2
level2

Postby laser50 » Sun May 25, 2014 8:58 pm

knoest26 wrote:I don't see why somebody would object to the idea because they think it messes with the view. Why don't you let players who want to use it, use it and if you don't like simply leave it?

Because that's not how the world works.

Any way, stupid idea, I'd rather see the ability to put 2 prisoners in one cell. Bunk Beds. THAT seems useful.
5hifty
level4
level4

Postby 5hifty » Mon May 26, 2014 12:13 am

knoest26 wrote:I don't see why somebody would object to the idea because they think it messes with the view. Why don't you let players who want to use it, use it and if you don't like simply leave it?

....... So what you are suggesting is that they should implement a feature, regardless of how it is visually portrayed? So if they did go ahead of multiple levels, and it turns out that that the result is a pained and unconvincing representation of height, with all the flaws inherit in a vertical element in a isometric view, they should just add it anyway?
Mr9kM
level1
level1

Postby Mr9kM » Mon May 26, 2014 10:28 am

laser50 wrote:

Because that's not how the world works.

Any way, stupid idea, I'd rather see the ability to put 2 prisoners in one cell. Bunk Beds. THAT seems useful.

Yeah, Bunk Beds, seems like the way we/they should go.

And it's not like i don't see why multi floors would be something usefull. If Towers came into the game you would be able to make an open yard with Towers and a 1st floor patrol area. So the guards would be looking Down on the prisoners :)

But rather have bunk beds so there can be more in the cells.
paktsardines
level5
level5

Postby paktsardines » Tue May 27, 2014 2:09 am

I don't think you emphasized just how 'many' times. A more appropriate response would have been "It's been suggested, many x 234525235^3455345454 times before.

Thanks for clarifying 5hifty - that's the figure I have too.
NascgiGale
level1
level1

Postby NascgiGale » Tue May 27, 2014 10:27 pm

If they did implement it, I would assume it would be something like in Towns/DF/The Sims/whatever where you hit a button or select an option to show a specific floor, then you can see that floor, and whatever you would normally be able to see under it (if there is no second/third/etc floor built on top of it). It shouldn't be any harder to keep track of a second floor than a first, you'll just have to make sure you build stairwells.
paktsardines
level5
level5

Postby paktsardines » Wed May 28, 2014 12:04 am

It shouldn't be any harder to keep track of a second floor than a first

But it is. It's a lot harder. There are enough complaints about performance already without adding the extra overhead of path finding in 3 dimensions.

Performance aside though, how do you propose electricity and pipes would connect across floors?
RGeezy911
level5
level5

Postby RGeezy911 » Wed May 28, 2014 12:09 am

Vertical pipes and wires? I am interested in this suggestion, if it gets implemented it would be fun to explore the new system. If not, land expansions work just fine.
xander
level5
level5

Postby xander » Wed May 28, 2014 12:12 am

paktsardines wrote:...how do you propose electricity and pipes would connect across floors?

Magic. It solves all the problems. You just have to hire a wizard, who would be equipped with a magic wand. Of course, prisoners would attempt to steal the want, which could lead to hilarious hijinks like workmen being assassinated with magic missiles and fireballs used to level the perimeter wall.

xander
paktsardines
level5
level5

Postby paktsardines » Wed May 28, 2014 12:31 am

Ah, a wizard, of course! The first thing I'd make my wizard do is collapse all the floors into one. Then I'd get him to hunt down and get stabby with anyone who's suggested multi levels.

Return to “Community Members”