[BUG] Can't save due to non-english letters

(previously 'DEVELOPER') Private forum for registered community members. To register, please visit www.prison-architect.com/register.

Moderator: NBJeff

esdee
level1
level1

[BUG] Can't save due to non-english letters

Postby esdee » Sat Apr 26, 2014 12:34 pm

http://bugs.introversion.co.uk/view.php?id=3240
http://bugs.introversion.co.uk/view.php?id=3483

I find it ridicolous that this bug is still in the game. Why don't IV focus on bugs that make the game uplayable for large chunk of the community? Is it a huge problem for them to add another method how to save the game? Ability to change the save directory perhaps? As of now, in order to play this game I have to create a new Windows account just for this game, which is something I am not willing to do and frankly nobody should be forced to do that. Maybe there should be a discleimer, that the game doesn't support languages other than english, before someone from Russia or other country with non-english alphabet decide to buy the game. Because you know, you're now kind of legally forced to use your real name when creating Windows account and thats what lot of people end up doing. It just boggles my mind why whouldn't this be fixed already, it really doesn't seem that complicated.

I just want to draw more attention to this issue by posting this and hopefully someone from IV will eventually notice.
Angelthree95
level0

Re: [BUG] Can't save due to non-english letters

Postby Angelthree95 » Wed Apr 30, 2014 7:23 pm

I'd also like it to be fixed. I'm waiting since alpha 9 for this bug to be solved :(
egoludens
level0

Postby egoludens » Thu May 01, 2014 3:37 pm

Came here looking to solve this problem, too.

I'm using Windows 7 and my username consists of russian characters. When I try to save my prison, russian chars in savepath are replaced with "?" and prison don't save. :(

Screenshot attached.

Geximus
level0

Postby Geximus » Thu May 01, 2014 4:53 pm

i bought this game and i cant save my game - it makes game process useless! wtf i have to spent my time and bigin everytime from the start? and i cant play even in tutorial because of crash to deskshop. Please fix this cyrilic BUG or make us to choose manually where to save the game.
HerrJoebob
level4
level4

Postby HerrJoebob » Thu May 01, 2014 6:29 pm

You can create a new user profile that uses only standard ASCII characters and play the game under that.

Although I'm not affected by this bug myself I do understand your concern that this bug seems to be such a low priority... But that's what we get for buying into an alpha. Watching sausage being made and all. :)
Finelf
level0

Postby Finelf » Thu May 01, 2014 10:10 pm

HerrJoebob wrote:You can create a new user profile that uses only standard ASCII characters and play the game under that.

Although I'm not affected by this bug myself I do understand your concern that this bug seems to be such a low priority... But that's what we get for buying into an alpha. Watching sausage being made and all. :)

Well yeah I did that. Running Guest. But it is still annoying and its really late version and I think its way too much easy bug to repair. Please tell to developers.
Best regards ?enda ( :D )
esdee
level1
level1

Postby esdee » Fri May 02, 2014 11:24 pm

HerrJoebob wrote:You can create a new user profile that uses only standard ASCII characters and play the game under that.

This is really the only solution right now, but its not something I am willing to do to be honest. I like to listen to music, talk to friends online, alt-tab, and do all kind of things while I play - on my default windows profile. I don't have time to mess with access and I just can't be bothered to play the game on a vacant windows account (even though I really DO like the game, 227 hours played is proof of that - I was actually able to save before upgrading to Windows 8.)
Kaeptn_Pommes
level0

Postby Kaeptn_Pommes » Sat May 03, 2014 6:27 pm

Can't you just change the name of your Windows account?
esdee
level1
level1

Postby esdee » Sat May 10, 2014 11:15 pm

Kaeptn_Pommes wrote:Can't you just change the name of your Windows account?

No, doesn't work.
rokkr
level0

Postby rokkr » Fri May 16, 2014 9:58 am

Does copy & Paste work?

1. Alt+Tab your game (on Mac cmd+Tab)
2. open notepad or something similar
3. write a name of your save game in ASCII letters! (maybe copy+paste the letters from the english wikipedia or so)
4. copy it
5. go back to PA, go to save game
6. ctrl+v (on Mac cmd+v)

Thats the way I would try. :)
Tarô11
level2
level2

Postby Tarô11 » Fri May 16, 2014 4:01 pm

rokkr wrote:Does copy & Paste work?

1. Alt+Tab your game (on Mac cmd+Tab)
2. open notepad or something similar
3. write a name of your save game in ASCII letters! (maybe copy+paste the letters from the english wikipedia or so)
4. copy it
5. go back to PA, go to save game
6. ctrl+v (on Mac cmd+v)

Thats the way I would try. :)

I don't see how it would help his issue. The problem is the Windows Account name, not the savefile name.
esdee
level1
level1

Postby esdee » Mon May 19, 2014 2:47 pm

Yeah, that won't help.. what matter is the destination of the save files, which cannot be changed.
konso
level1
level1

Postby konso » Tue May 20, 2014 2:11 pm

If you're adventurous you might want to try the procedure described here:

http://superuser.com/questions/495290/how-to-rename-user-folder-in-windows-8

Be warned, though - this might break everything :P
esdee
level1
level1

Postby esdee » Fri May 23, 2014 9:44 am

konso wrote:If you're adventurous you might want to try the procedure described here:

http://superuser.com/questions/495290/how-to-rename-user-folder-in-windows-8

Be warned, though - this might break everything :P

Thanks for posting this. Personally though, I'll stay away from registers and such. There is gonna be thousends of registry entries with your old MS user name that will need to be changed too, which is a lot of hassle.
esdee
level1
level1

Postby esdee » Thu Jun 05, 2014 7:37 am

Seems like the bug is finally being looked into!

(0008105)
John (administrator)
2014-06-04 11:52

In DetermineAppSavePath() we should use SHGetFolderPathW and convert the result to UTF-8 so that it can fit into a normal 8-bit String.

Then when opening the file, we need to convert the String into a Windows unicode representation (wchar_t). I think think this is a conversion from UTF-8 to UTF-16 (perhaps UCS2)? I think we might be able to use WideCharToMultiByte and MultiByteToWideChar with code page = CP_UTF8 to do this conversion. We should make a wrapper function for these conversions because on non-Windows they're most likely don't need to do anything.

We need to use the unicode file open functions in Windows:

- i/ofstream with wchar_t for filename.
- _wfopen instead of fopen

http://bugs.introversion.co.uk/view.php?id=379

Return to “Community Members”