The new "play as a prisoner" feature.

(previously 'DEVELOPER') Private forum for registered community members. To register, please visit www.prison-architect.com/register.

Moderator: NBJeff

mvp7
level0

Re: The new "play as a prisoner" feature.

Postby mvp7 » Tue Apr 29, 2014 10:01 pm

This and national guard intervention are great little features that really give Prison Architect character, most games would just give you a "mission failed" screen at that point.

But I hope that the developers won't spend too much time on it before the actual game is finished. I do believe that it would make an incredibly good expansion pack or a whole new standalone game (using player made prisons from Prison Architect of course). It could be developed into "The Sims: Doing Time" and/or into a Prison break simulator where players could try to break out of the prisons made by other players. It could also be developed into Space Station 13 -esque multiplayer game with players playing everything from janitors to guards and crime bosses with changing missions. Especially the last could probably be done pretty easily (no hard AI work and dialogue writing involved).
keepcool
level0

Postby keepcool » Tue Apr 29, 2014 10:17 pm

I'm kinda afraid of saying this here, but it didn't pick my interest at all... Actually, this update was the first since I bought this game that didn't add a single thing I liked. I think Chris and the guys are beginning to focus way too much on details and quirks while there's still plenty of "bread and butter" stuff to be done.

I think they should probably be looking more into ways of causing/managing threats than into giving us meaningless graphs and a free roam system.

Anyway. I know this is only my opinion, but I still think it deserves to be said and heard
blacksythe
level2
level2

Postby blacksythe » Tue Apr 29, 2014 10:23 pm

I kinda liked it, it was interesting and i look forward to seeing more of it. But focusing on the main game is more important, so finish off that feature and give the player everything a regular prisoner can do and leave that feature as it is once its finished there is plenty of time to add to that once the game is finished using dlc.
air805ronin
level1
level1

Postby air805ronin » Tue Apr 29, 2014 11:08 pm

I thought it was funny and its interesting to journey through your prison. I enjoy a similar Adventure mode in Dwarf Fortress where you can adventure through the ruins of your once great fortress. I think it could be added as a secondary mode selection.

I understand that many people think it shouldn't take up resources until after the "core game" is complete, but I think that its up to the dev team what parts are considered core parts.

Right now this is more like an easter egg after you fail. It doesn't really take away from your architect building. However, its the kind of cool thing that can get a development team reenergized and thinking of new things. Maybe something interesting and unexpected could come from it.
RMJ1984
level2
level2

Postby RMJ1984 » Tue Apr 29, 2014 11:21 pm

I like it, i like it a lot. since i even suggested something like this :)

Now we just need being able to start like this, being able to recruit others, then steal tools, plan escape, bribe guards, dig tunnels, cut fences and so forth.

I could even envision a new sort of multiplayer if you will.

You could join a friend or a random person game as a prisoner, your job is to try and escape. I think there is some potential here.
CJH
level2
level2

Postby CJH » Tue Apr 29, 2014 11:41 pm

I like it too allot! Loads of potential for single and multiplayer!

How do you change your user ID in the preferences.txt file? Which id should i put in (ofc mine but where do i find the user id again?) Is it the forum id?

Please help me with this someone, im sure others want help with this too :).

Best regards
benpowerman
level2
level2

Postby benpowerman » Tue Apr 29, 2014 11:42 pm

how do play as a prisoner with play with the name benjamin king of the hacker montgomery
coolbrowndog
level0

Postby coolbrowndog » Tue Apr 29, 2014 11:51 pm

I love the new feature, and hope they flesh it out to where you can simply insert yourself into a prison, work in the prison kitchen, get yourself a spoon, and start digging. Would be a great test of prison security and fun to try out others' prisons in the steam workshop.
That being said, I don't want it to take up so much time that updates are delayed, but I do hope the devs spend some time on it.
Tarô11
level2
level2

Postby Tarô11 » Wed Apr 30, 2014 7:08 am

balfro wrote:This is feature is THE BEST OF ALPHA 20! I am not afraid to say that. Because Chris did not put much work to it. You can break it to the point where it is just funny. It also shows you how BORING! it is to be in solitary for 12 hours Grrrrrr.... Now also. I used it with alcatraz. ARMED GUARDS EVERYWHERE! So yeah. I got shot when trying to escape. And i got some out of body experience. Also. If you pause. You get the same thing. You cannot right click doors to open em. But you can lock them open. You can order guards and sack em if you want. I got a shotgun as my random thing. AND I COULD NOT FIRE IT! WHY? Make it so that you can steal contraband. And that you can shoot em shotguns. Or fight with your fists if your that kind of guy :D

That's what affraid me a bit, people finding that this feature is the best of alpha 20. It is only in Alpha, they have much to do still on the base game, if they start to develop in parallel this new feature it won't be a good idea in my opinion. Again, I don't dislike it and find it cool also, don't misunderstand me, I just don't want to see for Alpha 21 by example 5 things improved for this feature and 1 for the main game. It would make me angry I guess.
Ersk
level0

Postby Ersk » Wed Apr 30, 2014 1:07 pm

Great feature. This has so much potential as an additional game-mode. Potentially multiplayer if they decide to go down that route.

I do think they should focus on the main game still and leave this an an 'easter-egg' like experience for the time being though.
TokenBlackguy
level0

Postby TokenBlackguy » Wed Apr 30, 2014 5:42 pm

I too was suprised by this feature but boy do I love it!

It's an exciting end game that lets you see the prison for what it is, I really hope they do focus on this after the main game has been pretty much ironed out.

Love it, keep up the good work and thank you!
Karrade
level1
level1

Postby Karrade » Wed Apr 30, 2014 5:53 pm

I really enjoy the idea of play a prisoner feature. I hope we can select the occasional prisoner and play out his sentence, or have the option to switching to a prisoner after we lose from any condition.

Maybe join a gang and take back the prison :)

It's a fun side game and a fun game over after the end, thank you for the great surprise. I can imagine people designing 'escape challenge maps for players!' See if you can escape my prison!
perryliu97
level2
level2

Postby perryliu97 » Wed Apr 30, 2014 6:23 pm

As covered by many posts a while back, this particular feature might serve well as the final mission in the campaign story.
However, being a prison simulation game first and foremost, I think the devs should focus on other things first.

Fo those who are interested in this particular feature, I believe there are two separate indie games about prison escape being produced as of now.
Not sure whether or not those have early access, but worth a look.
balfro
level2
level2

Postby balfro » Wed Apr 30, 2014 6:37 pm

I think i know what Mark would say if he saw this. DLC DLC! :P
TokenBlackguy
level0

Postby TokenBlackguy » Wed Apr 30, 2014 7:12 pm

balfro wrote:I think i know what Mark would say if he saw this. DLC DLC! :P

So long as we get it free :P

Return to “Community Members”