[SUGGESTION] Church

(previously 'DEVELOPER') Private forum for registered community members. To register, please visit www.prison-architect.com/register.

Moderator: NBJeff

KingTL
level0

[SUGGESTION] Church

Postby KingTL » Fri Apr 18, 2014 3:54 pm

again it was on wrong section of the forum

I don't know if this topic and subject was already discussed before, but in real prison a lot or prisoners turn to religion and i really liked the introduction with the priest.

so my idea is if we can add a need of "Faith" and we need to build a church for the prison and we can hire a priest that will be considered as 1/1 staff and the church will be his "office" inside we will put some benches and their should be a confessional.

I'm sorry if this idea was already brought up but i think it's awesome, and i really think it could add a cool need of faith.
knoest26
level5
level5

Re: [SUGGESTION] Church

Postby knoest26 » Fri Apr 18, 2014 7:55 pm

I recon this idea could work similar to the therapy. A group of prisoners enter a room where they sit on an object, in this case a church bench, and then attend a therapy or in this case preach. I know from looking at some game files that there are sprites for what seems to be a chapel and with the recent work on the programs, this might not be very far from reality.

Coming to think of it, I already have a mod that turns the behavioural therapy into a group therapy, if someone would be interested in making some sprites it could be modded in. I'll go take a look at that this evening
lugaru
level3
level3

Postby lugaru » Fri Apr 18, 2014 8:59 pm

It would be cool if the Priest had two programs he runs (like many other employees), perhaps a Service in the church which meets the needs of prisoners of faith (and curious prisoners who wander in looking for a bench to sit on) and a 'Substance Counceling' program for prisoners who are dependant on alcohol and drugs, not that this exists yet.

Prisoners who come in contact with the priest (via Mass or Counceling) have a small invisible chance to convert, so over time you may need to expand the number of benches in your chapel.

Also I'm sure somebody would Preacher skin (suit and tie).
knoest26
level5
level5

Postby knoest26 » Sat Apr 19, 2014 8:07 am

So I checked and I ran into some trouble,
First of all the game wouldn't let me add a program, which is understandable yet disappointing.
Secondly there already is a priest in the game from the tutorial but whenever I try to summon him by having him hired externally the game just stops and disappears.

That would mean that for such a mod to be created at this time it would simply be a combination of the group therapy I have put out and some reskins, which is something I'm not interested in doing as it doesn't change anything. If somebody does want to continue with this idea, feel free to use any of my files in the workshop to help you out.
111none
level4
level4

Postby 111none » Tue Apr 22, 2014 1:46 pm

knoest26 wrote:So I checked and I ran into some trouble,
First of all the game wouldn't let me add a program, which is understandable yet disappointing.
Secondly there already is a priest in the game from the tutorial but whenever I try to summon him by having him hired externally the game just stops and disappears.

That would mean that for such a mod to be created at this time it would simply be a combination of the group therapy I have put out and some reskins, which is something I'm not interested in doing as it doesn't change anything. If somebody does want to continue with this idea, feel free to use any of my files in the workshop to help you out.

If you click on the priest in the tut, it will write "Actor". He's scripted.
Infamous Blob
level0

Postby Infamous Blob » Tue Apr 22, 2014 6:23 pm

I think the idea of religion playing a part in the game is largely a good one. Would say it would be a good way of reducing memberships in gangs (which I *think* is an idea that's coming in future alphas from what I've read around and about, not entirely sure). At the very least religious prisoners should be more likely to be complient and less likley to be violent. Maybe more likely to enroll themselves in education programs and focus on turning their lives around and away from crime for example.

Wouldn't agree that faith should be a need though, it's not really something that everyone needs as such and I don't think prisoners should get uppity if there's no priest around. Perhaps it could satisfy another need though (similar to how just having freetime satisfies the freedom need) or work as part of a system with other needs (an idea I personally think is pretty fantastic is described here: http://steamcommunity.com/app/233450/di ... 007450046/, not sure if that ever got mentioned on here).
christopher1006
level5
level5

Postby christopher1006 » Wed Apr 23, 2014 12:22 am

Religion is going to play a part in PA. If you open up the files within the game, you will see a planned UI button for what appears to be a church.
Jailer
level2
level2

Postby Jailer » Wed Apr 23, 2014 8:25 am

I think if you allow for church in the game you should also allow for science to offset it - plenty of atheists around 8)
Kolchak
level2
level2

Postby Kolchak » Wed Apr 23, 2014 9:55 am

Perhaps faith, or the having of it could be a trait? Obviously this would need to lead to prisoners being able to gain additional traits once inside - but that's excellent as there is often a suggestion that minor criminals get worse in prison as they learn techniques from the worse criminals. Anyway, returning to the point... some prisoners would begin with the trait, and there would be a small chance of them finding God without a Church + chaplain in the prison. Religious prisoners without a chaplain would should lead to Freedom or Recreation rising to a minimum value, which could only be reduced with a Church. Once the Church is built, I think it should be the pews which are the functional object - allowing prisoners to go their in their free time to fulfill the need
Boringoyster
level0

Postby Boringoyster » Mon Apr 28, 2014 7:38 pm

Ultimately what you're getting at here is that seeing the priest will make the prisoners less volatile e.g. by increasing the value of the "boiling point" in a prisoner's stats (perhaps).

How would one go about changing those stats in a mod?
I cannot see any syntax used in the pre existing lua files that directly relates to changing stats such as freedom/suppression etc. The only way I can see of doing it would be to plant the prisioners as a special entity in a scenario or editing the save game file.

Alternative, the nearest thing would be re-skinning the teacher and added a 'ceremony' class that prisoners attend.
EJoshuaMiller
level0

Postby EJoshuaMiller » Sun Oct 19, 2014 3:15 am

Chapel (New Room). Many inmates become religious in prison as a way to cope with their crimes (usually Christianity and Islam). Since religion is really one of the only things an inmate can have in prison, it would make sense to have a place of worship inside your prison. Maybe you'd have to hire a Chaplin to lead whatever services, and perhaps even hire multiple Chaplins to service multiple different religions in the prison. Could be a variety of events from Religious ceremonies such as Mass, to funerals, and weddings. The Chaplin can be an important part in holding religious programs for inmates, and also part of the process for death row. Now while not all inmates need any sort of faith, a lot do need it in their lives as something to reflect on or at the very least pass the time.Yes, I know this has been brought up before, but it never hurts to bring back up a feature that hopefully can be included into the game. I already know that this is in the tutorial, so I assume this is something that is coming, but again, never hurts to bring it up.
Pigeon9441
level1
level1

Postby Pigeon9441 » Sun Oct 19, 2014 5:49 am

Probably should be a generic church that can be modable so everyone can their own spin on it; otherwise I look forward to new rooms I can paint the prison with :D
Gikgik
level1
level1

Postby Gikgik » Mon Dec 22, 2014 4:31 am

Priests and a church/chapel would be a good addition.

* Prisoners near a Priest get their Family need satisfied. When in a chapel, the Priest satisfies everyone in the room.
* Prisoners in a chapel get improved Privacy and Recreation value.
* The regime allows for a daily sermon, which forces all prisoners to go to the chapel.
lunaticneko
level2
level2

Postby lunaticneko » Mon Dec 22, 2014 6:31 am

For easy implementation, I propose that the church in this game do not refer to a specific religion. This way developers don't have to worry about accuracy of the religions and their portrayal in the game.

That aside, an idea of faith is nice, as religious faith is something a common (not implying that it's a majority thing) human can have, and carry with them into prisons. Then, add a few more ideas to the table:

- Conflicting religions: Maybe the game has two religions that are at odds in terms of ideology against each other. Just name them after something that may or may not exist, like Church of Delay and Temple of Morris (dev names for illustration purposes) or something. The conflicts in terms of doctrine, etc, may cause prisoners to be at odds against each other while uniting people of the same faith.

- Missions and funds: Organizations of each faith may attempt to convince you and your inmates by sending missionaries. If you support a particular faith (by building chapels for them and allowing their chaplains to station in your prison), you get funds from them. Sponsored missions may even host "counsel" and "education" programs for free or partially pay for prison food in exchange for converting some of your prisoners. If you don't mind (have a free-religion policy) it's probably ... probably OK. Chaplains of Delay (or Morris) will require a dedicated building: the Chapel. You can have two chapels, but that means you get less sponsorship from both. These major missions stay resident in the prison.

- Additional beliefs: Apart from Delay and Morris, there are additional belief systems for prisoners, such as Paganism (more likely to form weird cults or gang rituals, may become a suicide cult), Spiritualism (lack of privacy ticks them off the most), and Atheism (lack of freedom and the missionaries annoy them). These are not as prevalent as the two rivaling religions, but may affect prisoner behavior differently. These minor beliefs also have "missions", but use the common room instead of requiring a chapel. They do not give education, but provide counseling. These minor missions commute, asking to visit your prison randomly (with prior notice) or you may request that they come by setting a program time for them.

- Prison stance: Prisons may do anything from banning faiths entirely to forcing everyone to be in a certain faith.
Last edited by lunaticneko on Tue Dec 23, 2014 5:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
WHiZSTeR
level1
level1

Postby WHiZSTeR » Mon Dec 22, 2014 7:44 am

there are already 2 existing church mods. i perfer the "religion" mod myself as it is more strictly religion based. the spirituality one also adds a library and meditations. look for them on the steam workshop.

Return to “Community Members”