1vs1 ugh holidays, such a pain

General discussion about Defcon

Moderator: Defcon moderators

Mas Tnega
level5
level5

Postby Mas Tnega » Sun Jul 15, 2007 11:23 pm

torig wrote:
Mas Tnega wrote:I won a nice long battle of intel gethering, and preventing it.

I challenge zjoere!

It *was* a very long game (8h in-game time, IIRC?). The intel-gathering is where Mas keeps butchering me on....one day... :lol:
8:23.17.

Not the shortest one by a long shot, but not exactly the longest. 11:40.11's the time to beat for timewasting. 3:39.54 for efficiency.
shinygerbil
level5
level5
Location: Out, finding my own food. Also, doing the shinyBonsai Manoeuvre(tm)

Postby shinygerbil » Mon Jul 16, 2007 8:28 am

*cough*

http://forums.introversion.co.uk/defcon ... 5288#55288

18 hours, 4 minutes, 10 seconds. Ace is one hell of a patient player. :P
zjoere
level5
level5

Postby zjoere » Mon Jul 16, 2007 1:04 pm

I challenge zjoere!

i accept, pm about time or see me on hamachi
Ace Rimmer
level5
level5

Postby Ace Rimmer » Mon Jul 16, 2007 2:40 pm

shinygerbil wrote:*cough*

http://forums.introversion.co.uk/defcon ... 5288#55288

18 hours, 4 minutes, 10 seconds. Ace is one hell of a patient player. :P

This is true. :wink:
Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast...
Mas Tnega
level5
level5

Postby Mas Tnega » Mon Jul 16, 2007 6:02 pm

I lost against zjoere.

NukeLord
level4
level4

Postby NukeLord » Mon Jul 16, 2007 6:13 pm

Hmmm...I'm not sure if Mike's challenged anyone but if he hasn't then I challenge Mike!
torig
level5
level5

Postby torig » Mon Jul 16, 2007 7:01 pm

Mas Tnega wrote:I lost against zjoere.

Actually, that's quite interesting. It seems I just can't win against you but I've played zjoere before and succesfully beaten him. In the beginning quite effortlessly but he's improved rapidly I think.
It would be interesting for me to have a new 1v1 with him, to see if I fare the same as you now.
zjoere
level5
level5

Postby zjoere » Mon Jul 16, 2007 7:05 pm

torig wrote:
Mas Tnega wrote:I lost against zjoere.

Actually, that's quite interesting. It seems I just can't win against you but I've played zjoere before and succesfully beaten him. In the beginning quite effortlessly but he's improved rapidly I think.
It would be interesting for me to have a new 1v1 with him, to see if I fare the same as you now.

we still need to get our koth going.
although a full length 1v1 would also be interesting
we'll play again don't worry
torig
level5
level5

Postby torig » Mon Jul 16, 2007 7:13 pm

zjoere wrote:

:D
I was just wondering about this. A full length 1v1 would be better to check the theory. You did amaze me last night (and slightly piss me off/iritate me) with your fleet nuking.
I mean, I *had*wiped out your fleet bare some carriers and my incoming battleships were going to take care of that. However, it was well played and I didn't take it badly. People here know -I think- what my stance on fleet nuking is -it's valid and part of the game, but I'd fine it more enjoyable without it. Especially "getting back" from totally having been owned in the neval battle that way somehow feels lame. Don't misunderstand, I know it takes skill (and practice) and I was amazed at your results (and found you did well). But the fleet nuking keeps on feeling cheap ;)

Looking forward to any of those matches btw :)
Angel of Death
level3
level3

Postby Angel of Death » Mon Jul 16, 2007 8:03 pm

torig wrote:
zjoere wrote:

:D
I was just wondering about this. A full length 1v1 would be better to check the theory. You did amaze me last night (and slightly piss me off/iritate me) with your fleet nuking.
I mean, I *had*wiped out your fleet bare some carriers and my incoming battleships were going to take care of that. However, it was well played and I didn't take it badly. People here know -I think- what my stance on fleet nuking is -it's valid and part of the game, but I'd fine it more enjoyable without it. Especially "getting back" from totally having been owned in the neval battle that way somehow feels lame. Don't misunderstand, I know it takes skill (and practice) and I was amazed at your results (and found you did well). But the fleet nuking keeps on feeling cheap ;)

Looking forward to any of those matches btw :)

I how you feel, but after trying it and seeing how effective it is I have started to use it alot now. It makes you rethink your whole naval stratagy and how to play the game. It puts an interesting twist on the game. :)
torig
level5
level5

Postby torig » Mon Jul 16, 2007 9:11 pm

Oh, but I can and do use it. But not constantly. Also with his fleet wiped out very very succesfully, I started spending attention elsewhere (after instructing my battleships to go down to meet his carriers).
I was just in time to pull my battleships away from a nuke that would hit. Out of the 4 (or 5, I forgot) surviving battleships, only 1 got hit by the first nuke, though I think some others got me (at least I'm sure for some of my carriers).

I just felt I had played better and more aggressively at the naval battle, so it was a "deserved win". Until the course was dramatically changed by fleet nuking, which I see as a somewhat feable last ditch effort (when nothing else is working). The fact he pulled it off and that it is a legitimate tactic was why I didn't even say a word about it to him, but I felt a little disappointed I'll admit. Still, it takes skill and good preparation, so in that respect, I'm in full admiration on how zjoere succeeded in changing the course of that naval battle ;)

It's not because everyone agrees it's a valid tactic and can be used, that it gives as much satisfaction as winning a conventional navy battle.
I for example don't feel great if I win a naval battle by fleet nuking, and I notice quite different naval nuking tactics. There are the players who do it consistently and right away, and those who only seem to resort to it as a last ditch effort. It's the latter I feel is the most cheap. Be it as it may, this discussion has popped up over these boards a lot of times already and we all know what the general conscencus is.
kentuckyfried
level2
level2

Postby kentuckyfried » Mon Jul 16, 2007 9:26 pm

Naval nuking bypasses standard combat escalation, which I think is where people have the issue.

I used to have a problem with fleet nuking, so I've learned to use it more. I still think it questions honour, but as long as it is in standard play I will have to fight back with the same tactics.
MikeTheWookiee
level4
level4

Postby MikeTheWookiee » Mon Jul 16, 2007 9:59 pm

Apologies for trying to get us back on topic, but there is a perfectly good naval nuking thread over there: http://forums.introversion.co.uk/defcon/viewtopic.php?t=4996

Now, back to business:

NukeLord wrote:Hmmm...I'm not sure if Mike's challenged anyone but if he hasn't then I challenge Mike!

I believe I'm due to play Ace tonight, so if you wait a day you can challenge the loser (probably me either way) if that's fine with you. :)
Ace Rimmer
level5
level5

Postby Ace Rimmer » Mon Jul 16, 2007 10:00 pm

MikeTheWookiee wrote:Apologies for trying to get us back on topic, but there is a perfectly good naval nuking thread over there: http://forums.introversion.co.uk/defcon/viewtopic.php?t=4996

Now, back to business:

NukeLord wrote:Hmmm...I'm not sure if Mike's challenged anyone but if he hasn't then I challenge Mike!

I believe I'm due to play Ace tonight, so if you wait a day you can challenge the loser (probably me either way) if that's fine with you. :)

I might be able to play in a couple of hours or so...
Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast...
Angel of Death
level3
level3

Postby Angel of Death » Mon Jul 16, 2007 10:37 pm

kentuckyfried wrote:Naval nuking bypasses standard combat escalation, which I think is where people have the issue.

I used to have a problem with fleet nuking, so I've learned to use it more. I still think it questions honour, but as long as it is in standard play I will have to fight back with the same tactics.

Yes and that is what the game has resorted to. Yes I now use it, but only beacuse if you dont then it WILL be used against me. I dont know if people set up their fleets thinking their tactic is to nuke the opponents fleet to death or standard battle tacticts.

Return to “General”