Shaving

The place to hang out and talk about totally anything general.
Feud
level5
level5

Shaving

Postby Feud » Thu Mar 06, 2014 3:49 am

So I've been turning shaving into a hobby lately. I never liked it much, and had always used a Mach 3 or some similar multi-cartridge blade razor, but recently I've made a change.

In November I picked up an Edwin Jagger double-edge safety razor, and have been experimenting with various blades in it since (as well as making my own lather rather than shaving creme from a can). It's been a lot of fun, and I've been getting a great shave that lasts much longer.

Question: do you shave, and if so, what's your choice (electric, cartridge, etc)?

Bonus points: any recommendations on blades, soaps, cremes, etc?
xander
level5
level5

Re: Shaving

Postby xander » Thu Mar 06, 2014 4:24 pm

Feud wrote:Question: do you shave, and if so, what's your choice (electric, cartridge, etc)?

Bonus points: any recommendations on blades, soaps, cremes, etc?

I recently came across these. I like them quite a lot. They, too, seem to last much longer than the Mach 3, which is useful---I shave my head two or three times every week, and a Mach 3 cartridge rarely lasts more than a week or two. The Harry's carts are also quite a bit cheaper.

xander
Feud
level5
level5

Postby Feud » Thu Mar 06, 2014 6:46 pm

I've heard good things about Harry's, had I known about them five months ago I might not have made the switch to double-edge.
Mr.Cows
level2
level2

Postby Mr.Cows » Wed Apr 02, 2014 11:37 am

I have never thought to even experiment with shaving. Its probably worth a shot since my facial skin is very sensitive. I also use mach3 and it dosent last more than 4 or 5 shaves. Ive also tried to use electrical (shavers?) appliances for shaving, but my beard always gets stuck in them. I had more beard at age of 18 than most men have at the age of 30 :D I still wish I had baby face. Shaving is so annoying.
xander
level5
level5

Postby xander » Wed Apr 02, 2014 5:05 pm

Mr.Cows wrote:I have never thought to even experiment with shaving. Its probably worth a shot since my facial skin is very sensitive. I also use mach3 and it dosent last more than 4 or 5 shaves. Ive also tried to use electrical (shavers?) appliances for shaving, but my beard always gets stuck in them. I had more beard at age of 18 than most men have at the age of 30 :D I still wish I had baby face. Shaving is so annoying.

I shave my head and used to chew through a Mach3 once every week (generally getting no more than two shaves from one cartridge). The razors from Harry's last much longer (five or six shaves---one cartridge generally lasts for almost a month) and are significantly cheaper. You might consider giving them a try.

xander
Feud
level5
level5

Postby Feud » Wed Apr 02, 2014 7:21 pm

Safety razors might also work well, while I don't generally have skin sensitivity to shaving I've heard from a lot of places that safety razors greatly reduce irritation.

Started trying out Proraso shaving cream, really enjoying it. I think I like shave soap more, but it's a great product.
NeatNit
level5
level5

Postby NeatNit » Wed Apr 02, 2014 7:55 pm

I wish I could get Harry's. Those bastards seem to think North America is the only place in the world.

Any suggestions for a good INTERNATIONAL blade? I am currently using Gillette Fusion and hating it.
Feud
level5
level5

Postby Feud » Wed Apr 02, 2014 9:26 pm

What kind of blade? Cartridge?

All of my blades come from overseas.
NeatNit
level5
level5

Postby NeatNit » Thu Apr 03, 2014 7:54 am

I really don't know what my options are or what they mean... I just want something to shave quickly in the morning and not feel like crap. Also I've had bad experience with machines so I prefer non-electric blades.
Feud
level5
level5

Postby Feud » Thu Apr 03, 2014 11:28 pm

Well, I highly enjoyed the Shark Super Chrome, Shark Super Stainless, and Treet Platinum razor blades (Shark Super Chrome were incredibly forgiving).

If you're looking for something a bit sharper Gillete 7 O'clock Sharpedge are good, and while I've heard good things about Feather brand razor blades I've never tried them.
xander
level5
level5

Postby xander » Fri Apr 04, 2014 12:36 am

A hunk of obsidian. Really. That's all you need. Super sharp, though they are brittle and tend to go dull quickly.

Seriously. When I was working as an archaeologist, I learned to flintknap and shaved myself a couple of times with obsidian flakes. It worked quite well.

xander
Mr.Cows
level2
level2

Postby Mr.Cows » Fri Apr 04, 2014 10:14 am

xander wrote: I learned to flintknap and shaved myself a couple of times with obsidian flakes.

Id sure like to see that happening. I bet you had quite a few accidents with it?
xander
level5
level5

Postby xander » Fri Apr 04, 2014 3:36 pm

Mr.Cows wrote:
xander wrote: I learned to flintknap and shaved myself a couple of times with obsidian flakes.

Id sure like to see that happening. I bet you had quite a few accidents with it?

If I were to make it a regular thing, I probably would have, but since it was something of an experiment, I was really, really careful, and actually caused less damage than with a cartridge razor (mainly in that there was literally no razor burn). Frankly, the couple of times that I used obsidian flakes as razors gave me the best shaves I've ever had.

xander

Return to “Introversion Lounge”