March 2014 poll : What next?

(previously 'DEVELOPER') Private forum for registered community members. To register, please visit www.prison-architect.com/register.

Moderator: NBJeff

What should we focus on next?

Poll ended at Thu Apr 03, 2014 6:47 pm

Bug fixes - eg AI errors, crash bugs, game glitches, broken content
11%
Performance enhancements - permitting higher capacity prisons at high FPS, with less frame lag
6%
New and different starting conditions - eg existing broken jail / harsh landscapes
3%
New 'Mid game' content - eg new grants / staff / weapons / rooms / furniture / jobs / reform programs etc
27%
New simulation systems - eg drug abuse / gangs / complex injuries / weather + seasons
30%
The 'End game' - ie Parole / re-offending / victory+failure conditions / game-over events / score
9%
Please stop adding new systems, and improve/finish the existing systems first
4%
Campaign mode - ie illustrated story chapters like the introduction with written characters and dilemmas
4%
Better mod support - eg support for community created game objects, staff etc
2%
Game balance - rebalancing of all prices, timers, systems etc, so the game is challenging and fair
4%
I want everything above - and my vote will therefore be ignored
1%

Total votes: 1639
Chris
Introversion Staff
Introversion Staff

March 2014 poll : What next?

Postby Chris » Tue Mar 04, 2014 6:47 pm

Hey everyone,

It's been a while since we polled you all on what types of features you'd like to see next. A lot has changed since the last poll, with major new features and numerous performance enhancements and fixes. Let us know what you think!

Nb You can pick any TWO options from the poll.
nini
level2
level2

Re: March 2014 poll : What next?

Postby nini » Tue Mar 04, 2014 6:53 pm

One option I would have been interested in (more design-y junk for my left-wing soft touch criminal hotel) isn't there but there's some fairly interesting choices to choose from. One question though, isn't "Bug fixes to existing systems - eg AI errors, crash bugs, game glitches, broken content" the same as "Please stop adding new systems, and make the existing systems work better first"?
xander
level5
level5

Postby xander » Tue Mar 04, 2014 7:09 pm

If I were to vote for both "Please stop adding new systems, and improve/finish the existing systems first" and "New simulation systems - eg drug abuse / gangs / complex injuries / weather + seasons", would my votes be ignored? (I'm for new features, by the way---particularly the endgame and simulation systems; I'd love to see how, say, narcotics abuse in prison could lead to increased recidivism, and how that would alter the gameplay).

xander
RGeezy911
level5
level5

Postby RGeezy911 » Tue Mar 04, 2014 7:35 pm

New mid game content, and simulation systems for me. Everything else can wait for beta.

Thanks for the new poll Chris.
Catch22
level0

Postby Catch22 » Tue Mar 04, 2014 8:24 pm

I picked fix bugs and new simulation systems. The only bug bothering me right now is the game crashing during saves. 90% of the crashes I get are during autosaves. I would also like to see the prisoners being more clever during riots, either by blocking doors with furniture or by rushing to prison exits to escape. After 100 days of running my prison I set the prisoners to riot. Even after firing all my guards they never tried to get to the armory or make an escape. Gangs I think would be great if they could show off some coordinated behaviour to achieve a goal.
perryliu97
level2
level2

Postby perryliu97 » Tue Mar 04, 2014 10:13 pm

Part of the charm of the alpha is the anticipating of the next alpha. It doesn't matter that the systems are balanced are buggy as hell. As long as new and awesome things are introduced, I'm happy. (Chose mid game content and new simulations) Bug fixes and general balancing are fine and all, but they're simply not as fun as new stuff to play with, especially since that massive optimisation a few alphas ago has essentially stopped any lag whatsoever.
Dysp
level0

Postby Dysp » Tue Mar 04, 2014 11:52 pm

Honestly I feel the graphical part of the game could use some nice looking into. Of course I understand the charm of the current graphical style, however I think the game would benefit hugely from updated graphics.
Maybe you could add the possibility for user/fan-submitted art to relief the pressure on your graphical designer? Honestly these kinds of graphics are easily done, hence a lot of people could contribute. Providing a simple voting platform could rule out the bad suggestions and let you choose from the better ones.
VoiD88
level5
level5

Postby VoiD88 » Wed Mar 05, 2014 12:56 am

I stand by what I've been telling impatient people on the forums since I got here: An Alpha is for adding stuff, Beta is for fixing stuff. So I put my vote for Sim systems and endgame content with a third vote if it were possible would be for midgame content.

As I stated in the last poll, the occasional fix if a new Alpha breaks something really bad will always be welcome, but general bugfixing can wait until Beta.

Thanks to Johnny, performance issues have become a thing of the past, let's hope it stays that way through many updates *erects a small shrine for the worship of Johnny in the meantime* :mrgreen:

I'm not really fussed about mods; I do realize that many players really enjoy them, but for me personally, I don't value mod support all that important.

Starting scenarios and campaign mode are both things that I look forward to having in the finished game, but those can wait for last, since they are what I would consider "the game". Right now, we are only testing the system, not the finished game and I do like to keep the best things for last ;)
Heffernan
level1
level1

Postby Heffernan » Wed Mar 05, 2014 3:59 am

Biggest Fix should be Lagging and Glitching when the prison or buildings or map is too big, even on the besst computer for me..
thekillergreece
level4
level4

Postby thekillergreece » Wed Mar 05, 2014 6:28 am

I chose simulation and mid game features.

Those will give "life" to the game eventually.

Glad that you made a new poll expressing our voice on our own opinions ;)
Egg-Roll
level2
level2

Postby Egg-Roll » Wed Mar 05, 2014 1:00 pm

xander wrote:If I were to vote for both "Please stop adding new systems, and improve/finish the existing systems first" and "New simulation systems - eg drug abuse / gangs / complex injuries / weather + seasons", would my votes be ignored? (I'm for new features, by the way---particularly the endgame and simulation systems; I'd love to see how, say, narcotics abuse in prison could lead to increased recidivism, and how that would alter the gameplay).

xander

I don't think phpbb displays who votes for what, just the final results. I think how forums ate made is reach poll you vote in is like a post, it goes under your account so go ahead and be redundant XD they won't know ;-) unless they can read database tables and content and wish to waste tons of time just going threw the users information who viewed this post lol
xander
level5
level5

Postby xander » Wed Mar 05, 2014 4:27 pm

Egg-Roll, it was a joke.

xander
Catch22
level0

Postby Catch22 » Wed Mar 05, 2014 6:56 pm

Dysp wrote:Honestly I feel the graphical part of the game could use some nice looking into. Of course I understand the charm of the current graphical style, however I think the game would benefit hugely from updated graphics.
Maybe you could add the possibility for user/fan-submitted art to relief the pressure on your graphical designer? Honestly these kinds of graphics are easily done, hence a lot of people could contribute. Providing a simple voting platform could rule out the bad suggestions and let you choose from the better ones.

Actually, I think mod-makers can submit their own textures in the form of a game mod right now. I remember one christmas themed mod that replaced all the guard hats with santa hats, the workman hardhats with elf hats, and the warden with santa.
knoest26
level5
level5

Postby knoest26 » Wed Mar 05, 2014 9:43 pm

Community created objects would open a whole new world of abusing prisoners
111none
level4
level4

Postby 111none » Thu Mar 06, 2014 5:03 am

I want everything above - and my vote will therefore be ignored
No votes

Nice job Chris. Didn't see that one coming!

Ok, I think the reform needs to be tweaked in order to not have some game-breaking bugs. Also like to see the light at the end of the tunnel nowadays.

Return to “Community Members”