Cool PA fire video

(previously 'DEVELOPER') Private forum for registered community members. To register, please visit www.prison-architect.com/register.

Moderator: NBJeff

sutieday
level1
level1

Cool PA fire video

Postby sutieday » Sun Feb 16, 2014 4:32 am

Hello people,

I saw this video on Youtube by Xeledus and wanted to share it with you guys. Fire totally destroyed his prison and I think it's quite interesting because fire is somewhat rare after the Alpha 16 update. Here you go: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oez1vvKYvcE

Please share your thoughts and views on PA fire :)

P.S. I think it was started by a lighter...
VoiD88
level5
level5

Re: Cool PA fire video

Postby VoiD88 » Sun Feb 16, 2014 9:47 am

Since Alpha 16? I think fires have always been quite rare... In fact, I'm playing since Alpha 5 and have yet to see one in my prisons :P
sutieday
level1
level1

Postby sutieday » Sun Feb 16, 2014 12:04 pm

VoiD88 wrote:Since Alpha 16? I think fires have always been quite rare... In fact, I'm playing since Alpha 5 and have yet to see one in my prisons :P

Alpha 16 made electrical stuff not explode any more so fire would have to be cause by the powerstation or something else...
nini
level2
level2

Postby nini » Sun Feb 16, 2014 12:11 pm

Or by an inmate with a lighter as occurred to me in an A17 prison. Killed the idiot who started it weirdly.
Lorox
level1
level1

Postby Lorox » Sun Feb 16, 2014 11:13 pm

Fire does feel a bit too rare right now to even worry about...
sutieday
level1
level1

Postby sutieday » Mon Feb 17, 2014 3:11 am

The fact that a prisoner with a lighter can cause this, makes it a big issue for me.
nini
level2
level2

Postby nini » Mon Feb 17, 2014 7:58 am

I still don't think even with a place buzzing with metal detectors at every chokepoint and outside Visitation that having a fire started by some reckless idiot who torched a stack of uniforms is that common an occurrence, it's still vanishingly rare for anyone who never encountered one and they're very much most people.
_alphaBeta_
level4
level4

Postby _alphaBeta_ » Mon Feb 17, 2014 6:45 pm

That was painful to watch, but also a little fun. At first I was going to say that fire spreads way to fast, but then I noticed the player was running their game at full speed, which is probably not such a great idea during an emergency. All the potential firemen should have been called, and they needed to be positioned where the fire was going, not behind it.

I think fire has a lot of potential, and you'll definitely run a risk by not having sprinklers throughout, or at least in key areas. Perhaps IV are waiting to perfect the fire mechanic before making it more prevalent in the game. I for one have never seen a fire in any of my prisons. :?
sutieday
level1
level1

Postby sutieday » Mon Feb 17, 2014 7:01 pm

I'm sure IV has something planned for fire in the future, but right now I think fire is an end game thing because if your prison is largely indoors, I don't know of anyway to properly prevent the spread of it or recovery from it's devestation.
VoiD88
level5
level5

Postby VoiD88 » Tue Feb 18, 2014 12:09 am

If you weren't around for Alphas 1 through 4, be glad about that. There were fires in the game already, but firefighters weren't implemented until Alpha 5. So if you built a super-awesome prison which would then catch fire, it was completely doomed because there was no way at all to stop the fire from burning the whole map up :twisted:
sutieday
level1
level1

Postby sutieday » Tue Feb 18, 2014 12:22 am

VoiD88 wrote:If you weren't around for Alphas 1 through 4, be glad about that. There were fires in the game already, but firefighters weren't implemented until Alpha 5. So if you built a super-awesome prison which would then catch fire, it was completely doomed because there was no way at all to stop the fire from burning the whole map up :twisted:

If you notice now, firefighters need to rest while on the job, so I have no idea how that helps us at all...
_alphaBeta_
level4
level4

Postby _alphaBeta_ » Tue Feb 18, 2014 1:13 am

sutieday wrote:If you notice now, firefighters need to rest while on the job, so I have no idea how that helps us at all...

Well I wouldn't assume that firefighters will be subject to the same fatigue model that your normal staff is. They probably (for now) got lumped in with the rest of the staff based on the way the game is coded. I could see them being an exception since it would be a bit strange for firefighters to leave the fire and go for a coffee break. I would think all the emergency staff would be the same since it's implied that they rested plenty before arriving at the prison and will when they leave.
KWilliams
level0

Postby KWilliams » Tue Feb 25, 2014 11:33 am

So far, due mostly to my totalitarian regime of Shakedowns every day around 1am, I've luckily managed to always catch the prisoners with pyromanically tendencies before any riots got under way.

A little disappointing because I love the hosepipes. I've even called in the Fire Brigade a few times just to play with it :D
balfro
level2
level2

Postby balfro » Thu Feb 27, 2014 8:04 am

I always put a sprinkler system in my prisons. If i have a fire it is a very small one and does not spread at all. I have lighted fires in my prisons for test purposes. Then just load the old safe file back up when i have seen it all go down in flames. Or just slightly see some flames that are easy to extinguish.

Return to “Community Members”