best settings for large maps?

(previously 'DEVELOPER') Private forum for registered community members. To register, please visit www.prison-architect.com/register.

Moderator: NBJeff

Egg-Roll
level2
level2

best settings for large maps?

Postby Egg-Roll » Sat Feb 08, 2014 6:54 pm

Real quick and brief what's the best options have you been able to use large maps with?

Under normal settings I take 5 minutes to auto save (any way of disabling that because I can't change the ten minute thing) a map that's 25 land pieces (one big square) with no buildings on it...

I'm using a i5 3570k (not oc'ed) 32 gb ram and a manufactured oc'ed 640

Today I messed around with the saved file and set concrete and bricks to 10000 times the amount that was hilarious along with about 20000 wire and food XD 200 workers one accountant no prisoners I have up because it lagged too much

But watching the workers run around was enough to make my day

P.S. any spelling errors blame Swype :-)
nini
level2
level2

Re: best settings for large maps?

Postby nini » Sat Feb 08, 2014 7:44 pm

Egg-Roll wrote:Under normal settings I take 5 minutes to auto save (any way of disabling that because I can't change the ten minute thing)

Set it to a large value like 500 or so. What do you mean by taking five minutes to autosave?
Egg-Roll
level2
level2

Postby Egg-Roll » Sat Feb 08, 2014 8:32 pm

It takes 5 minutes to save that size map (ssd)

And the odd thing is I couldn't edit the auto save time when I tried last night (stream version), I'll try again tomorrow or tonight if I get a chance
111none
level4
level4

Postby 111none » Sun Feb 09, 2014 4:55 am

One thing, called lakes, generate lakes man.
nini
level2
level2

Postby nini » Sun Feb 09, 2014 12:11 pm

25 land pieces? That's a small city.
Egg-Roll
level2
level2

Postby Egg-Roll » Sun Feb 09, 2014 3:14 pm

I know but i would love to make a 25 land size prision :twisted:

111none wrote:One thing, called lakes, generate lakes man.

Explain please?
nini
level2
level2

Postby nini » Sun Feb 09, 2014 3:44 pm

He's saying to generate lakes... No, I'm not sure why you'd want to make huge swathes of land unusable either.
111none
level4
level4

Postby 111none » Mon Feb 10, 2014 2:38 am

nini wrote:He's saying to generate lakes... No, I'm not sure why you'd want to make huge swathes of land unusable either.

Because I got an ocean once :d .
nini
level2
level2

Postby nini » Mon Feb 10, 2014 10:52 am

What could you do with an ocean? Makes a nice shoreline I guess, give the prisoners something to look at.
Psycho Ketchup
level0

Postby Psycho Ketchup » Mon Feb 10, 2014 11:01 am

I once saw a shark from a shoreline.

Kind of revived fond memories from Alcatraz...
Egg-Roll
level2
level2

Postby Egg-Roll » Mon Feb 10, 2014 11:41 am

111none wrote:Because I got an ocean once :d .

Lol

Yesterday I messed around with it again if you go into the preference file via notepad you can edit everything. If you set the picture game thing to every 60 game minutes it says 5 once you save it I have mine set to 120 and it still says 5 lol, the auto save works but I don't like the fact you have to hit enter than save... the funny part about the preference file is the rendering options... they are true/false I'm going to set both rendering options to true and watch the game explode :twisted: oh the options low medium and high for detail low is 29/100 (why Idk but it is) mines set to 5 right now I think

Yesterday I also decided to hire 1000 workers XD with their yellow uniforms zoomed out it looked like a busy bee hive more than a prison but they started getting into each others way and made it from theoretically effective to worst than having 200 or even 300...

Currently I have about 150 workers a cell block 41x42 I think it has 5 or 6 double rows holding about 24 per double so once completely built it should hold 24*5(or 6) *2
I also have a solitary block with one square per cell that's about 30 cells, infirmary with 20 doctors, kitchen with 20 cooks a shower that has about 80 showerheads (issue with plumbing preventing about 15 to get water). Funny enough in a previous build I had the cells half a map away from the shower and I saw the inmates running to the showers naked outside to the showers...

So far I've yet to get a escape tho there have been attempts but they didn't get far with 50 guards at the entrance (workers and guards love hanging around the delivery and garbage areas with nothing to do)

So far only slow part in the large map is in utilities view and I've had to triple purchase electrical wire for the prison because I put the wire before the building even was there (using planning to figure out the layout)

When the cell block is done I'm going to use the clone tool to copy it, I think I have enough land for 2 or 3 more blocks without buying new land making it the first prison with 750+ with out a holding cell XD well I'll build one at some point...
Ric666
level3
level3

Postby Ric666 » Tue Feb 11, 2014 4:49 pm

It it's taking 5minutes to save a large map using an SSD, you may have something wrong with your computer.

That's crazy long!
knoest26
level5
level5

Postby knoest26 » Tue Feb 11, 2014 7:09 pm

should take no more than 50 seconds.

I heard somewhere that deleting your list of contraband might help
Egg-Roll
level2
level2

Postby Egg-Roll » Tue Feb 11, 2014 8:38 pm

Yea my computer likes to beCome slow but Windows 7 only and no I don't have a virus... it just stops paying Blu-rays and at that time I know it's time for a reboot... I recently did one I'll try saving again tonight but I'm also downloading every steam game I own onto the same hdd (save files are on ssd game is on a drive called S that's 2tb dedicated for games mostly steam XD)

On my netbook it took about 15 sessions for a small map

Oh yea my ssd is being bottlenecked by sata 2 because it's a msata and the port is only sata 2 not 3...
VoiD88
level5
level5

Postby VoiD88 » Wed Feb 12, 2014 9:37 am

Egg-Roll wrote:Oh yea my ssd is being bottlenecked by sata 2 because it's a msata and the port is only sata 2 not 3...

Yeah, I know what you mean, I have that very same problem... However, 5 minutes is just ridiculous. Do you have any system-optimization software installed? They can help a great deal with speeding up your PC.

I don't know whether I'm allowed to just blatantly advertise other software in these forums, so if you want a recommendation (and don't mind spending a little money as the program I recommend actually costs 40€ after a 15-day free trial period) you can fire me a PM :D

Return to “Community Members”