multiple deticated kitchens & laundries

(previously 'DEVELOPER') Private forum for registered community members. To register, please visit www.prison-architect.com/register.

Moderator: NBJeff

Meeeps
level3
level3

multiple deticated kitchens & laundries

Postby Meeeps » Mon Jan 20, 2014 10:11 pm

This is my experiment with multiple security levels and many multiple dedicated kitchens or laundries, it works halfish (no riots) the prison might be useful for future tests of better working dedicated rooms.

(Steam Workshop)

knoest26
level5
level5

Re: multiple deticated kitchens & laundries

Postby knoest26 » Tue Jan 21, 2014 3:27 pm

Seems interesting, any usefull conclusion you could draw from this?

EDIT: realised it sounded rather sarcastic, it's not supposed to be sarcastic
RichieGrape
level4
level4

Postby RichieGrape » Thu Jan 23, 2014 4:55 pm

yea i would like to hear more as well...mostly what didn't work or work arounds you may have found? i have set up a few segregated prisons but have yet to actually try em with prisoners...lol i usually just end up planning it out...start building...it gets late..i go to bed and when i get on next i start building a new one..never completing the last...
arwan
level2
level2

Postby arwan » Fri Jan 24, 2014 5:48 am

since there is not much going on here. ill put in my insights on a segregated prison. first off, here is the prison i designed to test segregation.

so.. to start. I will go over what i found does not work.

1. cooks will not stay where you want them. just as other workers in your prison (guards workers gardeners etc.) as soon as there is a job for one it seems to pick one that is not busy at random to send on the job. thus the amount of cooks in your segregated kitchens fluctuates quite badly. we really need a way to designate work areas for all staff not just guards via deployment.

2. laundry is a mixed bag. if you have more than one laundry they seem to work better when there segregated. that being said i at one time had 1 building for all my laundry that was cut up with walls to segregate the prisoners inside.. this building was on the other side of my road above my workshops. this did not work as intended. while i would some times have prisoners assigned to work in the building they would not do much of anything... ever.. my laundry ended up being distributed by janitors. all the prisoners did was wash and fold. they would not deliver even though there was a path that all prisoners could use to get to there areas. this was fixed when i demolished this building and built 3 separate buildings INSIDE the segregated areas. though be aware. if you ever decide to go full super max prison and make your separate laundry buildings all shared then expect the game to take all of your carts to one laundry and the other 2 to never be used again. this happened to me and the problem got so bad that eventually all my washing machines had laundry in them. the ironing board had both folded and un folded clothing on it. and all the carts had dirty laundry in them. thus laundry ground to a halt. this is with 4 machines in each building and no less than 14 laundry carts for the whole prison. also even though tables are "required" for the laundry room. they never get used for anything. except the occasional new uniforms being delivered and being placed on it. freshly ironed clothing never gets placed on them. so i would not plan on having more than one per building

3. deliveries, also a mixed bag. prisoners are just slow.. plain and simple. i ultimately made deliveries staff only to get around the slowness. this is in regards to the workshop sheet metal. and food deliveries.

those were the big. did not work things. that come to the top of my head.

what Does work is a bit nicer

1. prisoners will go to cells in there area before being put in shared cells.

2. prisoners will stay within one canteen even if more than 1 canteen is in there area.

tips.

keep more guards around the high sec prisoners. in my cell blocks i have 2 guards and one dog patrolling. except in high sec. there its doubled up. i found i had to do this to avoid fighting and deaths. since i doubled up i have had no problems.

i had one mass riot. one time.. though i am not sure how it got started since it started when i was away from my computer. when i came back i had 27 dead people and my whole high sec area was going bonkers. it was easy to calm down with all the walls and solitary doors cutting things off closing off large parts of my prison to stop the flow made it easy for the riot police to have a party. though i lost 6 of my riot police as well :twisted:

i had 2 escapes during construction. the first one escaped in a breach of my out side walls but again due to all the doors segregating the prison i was able to quickly stop EVERYONE except the one. who i only saw once he was outside the wall. by using lock down. the second escapee literally walked out the front gate.. thus why i now have double gates on the roads. you will want to set them up so that if you have a line of trucks the last truck will have its butt inside the gate so it will close.
craftier99
level1
level1

Postby craftier99 » Sat Jan 25, 2014 12:44 pm

My biggest problem so far (just started taking in prisoners so not much testing) is that i cant seem to get a zone to be both max sec AND unlocked. its one or the other :( .

Anyone got it to work or will i have to unlock all the doors manually :?:
Meeeps
level3
level3

Postby Meeeps » Sat Jan 25, 2014 3:07 pm

I planned to edit in a report but then got disturbed and had no time anymore. :-) But thanks to the community we got other experience reports.

I have 12 hiigh sec blocks, which are completely seperated from each other, only staff can switch block. Every block has a own laundry and kitchen (and workshop).

Kitchen was hard part to implement having prisoners fill up freezer but not cooking there, so I had to split the kitchen into two deployment zones and have cooker high sec only and freezer shared rooms, so midsec was able to fill up the fridges and high sec is able to use that to cook. This works fine. Cooks seems to chose a random kitchen but then at least stay in that kitchen and work.

Laundries are still a issue, there seems still to be the first laundry beeing the master. I need a lot janitors to balance that issue.

Despite to what most here like, I do not really care about efficiency, so my master goal is usally to have as few workmen as possible and prisoners should do the most work, also unloading and distributing the goods. This seems to work well with having low sec to unload the trucks, they do not escape through the open road gates while they are blocked open because of truck queue. I use in this prison the mid sec prisoners to distribute from goods from deliveries to the blocks.

That I like to have prisoners doing most work also requires to have much work time in the regime, so my regime is usally 5h work, 1h eat in 4 shifts, haviing less then half inmates assigned to work, the rest has time to sleep or free time.

Edit: one thing is also still not working: Visitation, visitors have no clue which table to use which will also be accessable by the prisoner.

ImageImage

Return to “Community Members”