Alpha 16 multiple kitchens?

(previously 'DEVELOPER') Private forum for registered community members. To register, please visit www.prison-architect.com/register.

Moderator: NBJeff

dempom
level1
level1

Alpha 16 multiple kitchens?

Postby dempom » Tue Dec 31, 2013 5:09 am

Has anyone gotten multiple distant kitchens working? My cooks are still bouncing between them, taking food from one kitchen and cooking it in the other.
VoiD88
level5
level5

Re: Alpha 16 multiple kitchens?

Postby VoiD88 » Tue Dec 31, 2013 11:33 am

Working fine for me... the only food they carry around outside of the kitchens is the new ingredients they collect from delivery.
DELETER
level0

Postby DELETER » Tue Dec 31, 2013 11:49 am

i got the same problem running 3 kicthen and allways one kicthen that dont have enorth food.
RGeezy911
level5
level5

Postby RGeezy911 » Tue Dec 31, 2013 11:50 am

I've managed to get my two kitchens working by balancing my serving tables. Seemed to do the trick for me anyways.
Epik3YearOld
level0

Postby Epik3YearOld » Tue Dec 31, 2013 1:15 pm

I think it works better if you have different deployments on each of them (one kitchen Min, one High and one Medium.).
tertaim
level3
level3

Postby tertaim » Thu Jan 02, 2014 2:11 pm

you playing an alpha 15 prison? or did you started a new one?
b0rk
level1
level1

Postby b0rk » Thu Jan 02, 2014 3:08 pm

RGeezy911 is spot on to get multiple canteens working correctly you need to balance the number of serving tables or the chefs will ship finished food between them and will ship ingredients between kitchens.

Multiple kitchens appear to just work in terms of ingredients not being moved between kitchens one you've balanced the canteens.
stoner7
level1
level1

Postby stoner7 » Thu Jan 02, 2014 3:47 pm

I have two kitchens working well. I have a large kitchen for the medium population and a smaller kitchen for the smaller maximum security population.

Just outside the max sec kitchen is a Canteen with serving tables for the max-sec prisoners. Food tends to come only from the max-sec Kitchen to this Canteen.
Last edited by stoner7 on Thu Jan 02, 2014 4:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
_alphaBeta_
level4
level4

Postby _alphaBeta_ » Thu Jan 02, 2014 3:48 pm

So I haven't gotten this far yet with Alpha-16, and was wondering how it worked. I assumed that the number of cookers would dictate the number of cooks working in a kitchen which would dictate the amount of food output of a kitchen. Is that the case from a kitchen food output perspective only?

Now as to the delivery of food to a canteen, I also assumed (probably incorrectly) that a kitchen would deliver all of its food to the nearest canteen. I believe we're saying here, however, that the food distribution is dictated by serving tables. I suppose this makes sense and gives more control to the player. Any observations on how it works exactly? Say I have one kitchen making more than enough meals for the entire prison, but serving multiple canteens. Does the game attempt to evenly fill all existing serving tables that are inside canteens? Does distance matter? Is it a ratio of serving tables? Is there a maximum amount that serving tables can hold?

How about which canteen prisoners choose to go to? Will they go where there's enough meals or space to sit? Perhaps they go to the nearest canteen based on their current location or cell? Let's assume for the moment that all canteens are accessible and set to "shared security" in deployment.
dempom
level1
level1

Postby dempom » Thu Jan 02, 2014 5:42 pm

thanks for the replies, going to do some testing to figure out what is going wrong in my prison.

RGeezy911 wrote:I've managed to get my two kitchens working by balancing my serving tables. Seemed to do the trick for me anyways.

b0rk wrote:RGeezy911 is spot on to get multiple canteens working correctly you need to balance the number of serving tables or the chefs will ship finished food between them and will ship ingredients between kitchens.

Do you mean having the same # of serving tables in each canteen?

tertaim wrote:you playing an alpha 15 prison? or did you started a new one?

A from scratch alpha 16 prison.
Zslone2
level0

Postby Zslone2 » Fri Jan 03, 2014 12:25 am

I just started a new alpha 16 prison yesterday and I can't get two kitchens working even by having one be min security and the other medium security, the problem I'm seeing is the cooks are walking across my prison to the other canteen and kitchen set up to cook food in that one and not the both. I only have two cooks so usually it comes to one very well fed canteen area and one that never received any food at all. Is this just an AI thing or did I just mess up the kitchen set up? Anyone experiencing the same kinda problem?
RGeezy911
level5
level5

Postby RGeezy911 » Fri Jan 03, 2014 12:37 am

Try clicking on one of the cooks and sending them over to the other kitchen then. I would recommend letting prisoners work in the kitchen or hiring 4 - 6 more cooks though.
MissPlaying
level0

Postby MissPlaying » Fri Jan 03, 2014 1:49 am

I managed to get two kitchens to work, but is added a third and no chefs seem to go in there. I was hoping for some sort of chef assignment system, like the jobs for prisoners, only with chefs in kitchens
Zslone2
level0

Postby Zslone2 » Fri Jan 03, 2014 2:32 am

RGeezy911 wrote:Try clicking on one of the cooks and sending them over to the other kitchen then. I would recommend letting prisoners work in the kitchen or hiring 4 - 6 more cooks though.

Doesn't work already tried it thinking the same thing. I have prisoners working the kitchens and the same thing is occurring to a lesser extent. I would hire more cooks but I'm strapped for cash and I used up all the grants from the additional grants mod so...
b0rk
level1
level1

Postby b0rk » Fri Jan 03, 2014 3:17 am

_alphaBeta_ wrote:So I haven't gotten this far yet with Alpha-16, and was wondering how it worked. I assumed that the number of cookers would dictate the number of cooks working in a kitchen which would dictate the amount of food output of a kitchen. Is that the case from a kitchen food output perspective only?

Now as to the delivery of food to a canteen, I also assumed (probably incorrectly) that a kitchen would deliver all of its food to the nearest canteen. I believe we're saying here, however, that the food distribution is dictated by serving tables. I suppose this makes sense and gives more control to the player. Any observations on how it works exactly? Say I have one kitchen making more than enough meals for the entire prison, but serving multiple canteens. Does the game attempt to evenly fill all existing serving tables that are inside canteens? Does distance matter? Is it a ratio of serving tables? Is there a maximum amount that serving tables can hold?

One serving table has 4 slots which can each hold to two pots of 10 meals so a full table could hold 80 meals however it can only serve one prisoner at a time. The cooks will not load more meals onto a table than serving trays loaded on the same table. Equally the cooks will not reload the table until a pot is empty, pots do not empty at a linear rate. Remember if the serving table has no serving trays the cooks will not load any meals onto the table.

The initial fill appears to be shortest path for serving trays and meals after this point the re-fill is first come first served so not distance based. The system won't match nearest ready meals to nearest ready pot only oldest ready pot to first available serving table.

One cooker produces two pots of 10 meals each thus a serving table needs 4 cookers.

One cooker needs either 2, 4 or 6 ingredients based on your meal selection. So for medium quality one cooker needs 4x20 ingredients to produce 20 meals (2 pots of 10).

One fridge can hold 2 stacks of 40 ingredients.

Thus one fridge can serve one cooker producing medium quality meals.

Depending on how well you can fill the fridges, fill the cookers and then fill the serving tables will determine how close to the theoretical performance you get I for example need the set of kitchen's below to accommodate 1148 medium security prisoners and 230 high security prisoners on medium meal quality and achieve a 90% feed rate. Pathing time and fridge re-stocking are my pinch points.

Medium security 1148 prisoners

High security 230 prisoners

Cooks and workers do not respect security zones when moving food, serving trays or ingredients So to stop these items bouncing between kitchens and/or canteens you need to balance fridges, cookers, sinks and serving tables.

Everything is demand (emptiness) filled and not preemptively filled / ordered.

Dirty serving trays appear to be routed to the nearest unused sink.

How about which canteen prisoners choose to go to? Will they go where there's enough meals or space to sit? Perhaps they go to the nearest canteen based on their current location or cell? Let's assume for the moment that all canteens are accessible and set to "shared security" in deployment.

I haven't tried two shared access canteens yet. I suspect prisoners will chose based on seats (benches) available.

Return to “Community Members”