[Suggestion] Co-Op Multiplayer

(previously 'DEVELOPER') Private forum for registered community members. To register, please visit www.prison-architect.com/register.

Moderator: NBJeff

allen738
level0

[Suggestion] Co-Op Multiplayer

Postby allen738 » Sun Dec 29, 2013 2:53 am

Is there any way that they could add Multiplayer into PA. After a while of working by myself, I always talk to my friend about how cool my prison is. But we don't really like publishing them onto the workshop and play on it individually. I want to be able to have two or more people to join one map and work at the same time to build more buildings and/or make corrections to some. Maybe make it where you host a local server on the computer and then a friend can join by joining game (on steam) or having like a Ip Address login etc. I feel like this would be hard to do, but I feel like it would encourage more people to join the PA community. I am sorry if someone has already made a topic on this but I feel like it should be a valid idea for the future.

Thanks!
Allen
planettop92
level2
level2

Re: [Suggestion] Co-Op Multiplayer

Postby planettop92 » Sun Dec 29, 2013 3:19 am

not quite "co-op," but: viewtopic.php?f=43&t=21040

edit: to save time:
xander wrote:IV tacked on a multiplayer game to Darwinia after not initially designing the game around a multiplayer idea. It was a tremendous expenditure of time and flopped horribly. Prison Architect has clearly been designed from the beginning to be a single player game, and IV have clearly learned their lesson about tacking multplayer play into a single player game. Multiplayer Prison Architect simply isn't going to happen. It has nothing to do with what I want or don't want, nor what you want or don't want. It just isn't going to happen. Thinking otherwise is to deny reality.

if you want co-op multiplayer, you'll have to use the over-the-shoulder tactic of your friend coming over to your house and building the prison together on one computer
allen738
level0

Postby allen738 » Sun Dec 29, 2013 3:42 am

Thanks for that information. Is there any way that they could create a mod to do that. Or are the mods mainly about creating different textures and grants? I know that would be a hard task to do but I of possibly others would like to have multiplayer. Even if it means to download mods and stuff.
planettop92
level2
level2

Postby planettop92 » Sun Dec 29, 2013 6:54 am

From my understanding, alpha 16 mods only support text, sprite, and SFX replacements, and grants and scenarios additions. anything else would require modifying the game's actual source code which is already changing with each update.

From the programming perspective, you'll have to add LAN support, transfer data and events synchronously (and additional error checking in case both players give conflicting commands), and disable some of the dynamic background processes of one person's executable. For example, your workmen shouldn't pathfind to two different locations at once, your cooks should be serving the same food, and your prisoners should be exhibiting the same behaviors. Realistically, it's just a lot of work no one is willing to do.
xander
level5
level5

Postby xander » Sun Dec 29, 2013 9:32 pm

planettop92 wrote:From my understanding, alpha 16 mods only support text, sprite, and SFX replacements, and grants and scenarios additions. anything else would require modifying the game's actual source code which is already changing with each update.

Not to mention the fact that there really isn't anything in the game right now that screams "Multiplayer!" Adding a multiplayer component can't be done by simply tacking some network code into the game---a whole mode of multiplayer gameplay would need to be developed and tested.

xander
paktsardines
level5
level5

Postby paktsardines » Mon Dec 30, 2013 10:51 am

Just being the sour grape: Please search before posting.

A quick search for 'multiplayer' nearly crashed my computer. It has been mentioned at least three billion times; four if you hyphenate it.
DoctorPelusa
level1
level1

Postby DoctorPelusa » Mon Dec 30, 2013 12:32 pm

xander wrote:
planettop92 wrote:From my understanding, alpha 16 mods only support text, sprite, and SFX replacements, and grants and scenarios additions. anything else would require modifying the game's actual source code which is already changing with each update.

Not to mention the fact that there really isn't anything in the game right now that screams "Multiplayer!" Adding a multiplayer component can't be done by simply tacking some network code into the game---a whole mode of multiplayer gameplay would need to be developed and tested.

xander

You could think of a multiplayer similar to the one Theme Hospital had, a versus multiplayer, each one building his prison, who wins the first to reach an objective.
So basically when you play multiplayer, you select one of the multiplayer campaign maps, then each player is given one parcel of hospital. Every time you try to buy another hospital parcel it goes to auction. You can see what's happening in other player's parcels but you generally can't affect them, except through the use of 'litter bombs', which show up in the purchase menu along with bins and plants. A litter bomb will cover a small area in garbage. When one player refuses an emergency it cycles to the next player and so on, if no one accepts the emergency it keeps cycling. Every few months there is a new criteria to stay in the game (buy a parcel of land, treat x patients, etc.) which get progressively harder. The last player to remain in the game wins.

From: https://groups.google.com/forum/#!topic ... 1OnYV4N-VA
xander
level5
level5

Postby xander » Tue Dec 31, 2013 4:54 am

DoctorPelusa wrote:
xander wrote:

xander

You could think of a multiplayer similar to the one Theme Hospital had, a versus multiplayer, each one building his prison, who wins the first to reach an objective.
So basically when you play multiplayer, you select one of the multiplayer campaign maps, then each player is given one parcel of hospital. Every time you try to buy another hospital parcel it goes to auction. You can see what's happening in other player's parcels but you generally can't affect them, except through the use of 'litter bombs', which show up in the purchase menu along with bins and plants. A litter bomb will cover a small area in garbage. When one player refuses an emergency it cycles to the next player and so on, if no one accepts the emergency it keeps cycling. Every few months there is a new criteria to stay in the game (buy a parcel of land, treat x patients, etc.) which get progressively harder. The last player to remain in the game wins.

From: https://groups.google.com/forum/#!topic ... 1OnYV4N-VA

As I said, there is nothing about Prison Architect that "screams" multiplayer to me. What you suggest sounds like a hacked on version of multiplayer, rather than an actual multiplayer game.

xander
CplHenderson
level2
level2

Postby CplHenderson » Tue Dec 31, 2013 6:25 am

Prison Architect Multiplayer would do absolutely nothing for gameplay. Even assuming everything works as planned and the multiplayer function has no bugs - which it undoubtedly will - all it will do is add a second cursor and player to the screen.

If such a mode were to ever be considered, it would be far in the future, but in my opinion it just wouldn't be worth it to spend an additional 6 months to a year polishing up a multiplayer mode.

Return to “Community Members”