2v2 "ladder" - sign up here!

General discussion about Defcon

Moderator: Defcon moderators

torig
level5
level5

2v2 "ladder" - sign up here!

Postby torig » Fri Jul 06, 2007 11:22 am

A while back, I debated with creator if a 2v2 "ladder" could be set up. We both agreed that 1v1 does not offer all the subtilities and tactics of 2v2, which in turn requires less players to be present than for a full-blown 6-player game.

Therefore, we thought it was fit that a 2v2 "ladder" be set up. I say "ladder" (like "and with this 'layz0r'" :) ) because a real ladder system can't be set up in the case of 2v2.
That would require a pool of permanent teams, which simply won't work (unless all of you want to prove me wrong, all of a sudden ;) ). So think more of it as a league then a ladder, really.

So, here are the rules (somewhat copied from the 1v1 ladder :) ):

Joining Up
Simply shout some [preferably comical] variant of 'in'. You will join the bottom of the table. It is not too late to sign up. Don't join unless you are prepared to check this thread frequently, and are available for matches.

How The 2v2 System Works
All competitors are ranked based on wins/losses. Because we assume no fixed teams will be set up, anyone is free to join up with any of the other competitors and challenge one other competitor. This competitor will then invite another signed up competitor to the 2v2 game, as his team buddy. The winning team gains 3 points, the losing teams gets 1 point (for playing the match).
Additionally, permanent teams are not discouraged. If you and someone else often are online at the same time -or can be easily- you're more than welcome to sign up as a permanent team.
Permanent teams will have to come up with a unique team name, which will be used when challenging that team ;)

Winning
To be fair and to encourage the team spirit even more, the combined score of both players will determine a win or loss.
The players winning will then get their 3 points, the losing team will get 1 point.

Rules

• Defection is not allowed.
  • The ShinyBonsai manoeuvre is not allowed :P
  • Multiple territories can be used if both teams agree to this.
  • You may not challenge someone if:
    • You have been challenged yourself.
    • They have challenged someone else.
  • When you challenge someone:
    • Say so in this thread.
    • PM them with the times you are available.
  • When challenged, a player:
    • Has 3 days to accept the challenge and to look for a team mate.
    • Has a further 3 days to play the match.
  • The challenger wins the match by default if:
    • The challenge is not accepted within 3 days
    • The game has not been played within a further 3 days (i.e. within 5 days of the challenge being issued).
  • As there is no real ladder system, there is no real advantage or disadvantage in winning/losing by default.
  • Please PM me after a match has been played (or not, due to the 'deadlines' being missed)

Ranks

<some input for these is welcome ;)>

Stuff
Please inform me if I have missed anything out, or if you have any objections/suggestions.
While the system is very 'informal', the rules can be refined as we go by. Currently it's unknown how many -if any- players will sign up though. The goal is ultimately to stimulate group play and to get really good players to play together to form more refined tactics. Also the 2v2 games should be seen as an alternative to 6-player games (default & diplomacy) and both the 1v1 ladder and 1v1 KOTH games

Easy Communication
I've created a network on Hamachi (https://secure.logmein.com/products/ham ... sp?lang=en) so we can easily see which other participants are online.
Feel free to join Def2v2 with password 2v2MAD :twisted:

Specific ladder-only 2v2 server
I'm running an extra 2v2 server.
To reach it you could connect by IP. Enter defcon.gov-fbi.net (tested, defcon resolves the IP correctly itself, so no need to manually do it. The address is quite easy to remember I believe) and enter port 5020.
However the server is advertising itself ; you should be able to find it in the list of servers either in the lobby, either in "games in progress".

It's password protected, as the plan of using a "hidden server" failed miserably (stupid metaserver).
I've gotten an extra defcon key, which is only used for this server at the moment. I'm going to contemplate the options the new key brings though and see if there is a better combination, or if it's worth setting up an additional server on the extra key or ...
The password will be sent by PM to registered players.

Players:

torig[6]
creator[13]
Tripper
zjoere[4]
Hyperion[7]
Ace Rimmer[1]
Mas Tnega[1]
shinygerbil[3]
Demosthenes[10]
Ice Cream[10]
Angel of Death
worldidiot
MikeTheWookiee
kentuckyfried
Church
whac-[1]
Sirthomasthegreat ( [1337]WOPR )
JESUS
PSBirch[1]
0mnicide[6]
andym00 (sadistic mule)
hobophobe[1]
AeonFlux
countersmurf[1]
Feud[1]
PUNK
BIGdave
walrus47
(MOR)
The Black Death

Fixed Teams

kentuckyfried --- Angel Of Death
whac- --- Church
worldidot --- The Black Death
WEPS --- JESUS
Last edited by torig on Fri Aug 03, 2007 7:10 pm, edited 45 times in total.
Rising Thunder MVP
level2
level2

Postby Rising Thunder MVP » Fri Jul 06, 2007 11:42 am

dont sign me up
torig
level5
level5

Postby torig » Fri Jul 06, 2007 11:44 am

Rising Thunder MVP wrote:dont sign me up

Not interested in 2v2 games?
creator
level3
level3

Postby creator » Fri Jul 06, 2007 2:23 pm

ive taken over one ladder now for the next! :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:
im defintly in!
Tripper
level4
level4

Postby Tripper » Fri Jul 06, 2007 2:24 pm

torig wrote:
Rising Thunder MVP wrote:dont sign me up

Not interested in 2v2 games?

heh - maybe MVPE just doesnt like playing well with others ??

So this is basically a league, if there's no restrictions on who you can challenge?

/goes to shamelessly bump the Dedcon league thread!

/comes back

On behalf of the UK/EU DEFCON contingent, I'd throw my hat in the ring. It sounds like an interesting idea. A place for me to maybe get involved in some wins if I can find a good enough partner ;) Actually, Torig, how would you decide the winning team? Total points? Rankings? If the latter does 1st / 4th beat 2nd / 3rd?

Some additional £0.02: by having to arrange 4 people to be in the same place and time, the logistics are going to be naaaasty. I'm sure something will get worked out though.

Cheers Tripper
torig
level5
level5

Postby torig » Fri Jul 06, 2007 2:44 pm

Tripper wrote:
So this is basically a league, if there's no restrictions on who you can challenge?

Exactly.

Tripper wrote:On behalf of the UK/EU DEFCON contingent, I'd throw my hat in the ring. It sounds like an interesting idea. A place for me to maybe get involved in some wins if I can find a good enough partner ;) Actually, Torig, how would you decide the winning team? Total points? Rankings? If the latter does 1st / 4th beat 2nd / 3rd?

Some additional £0.02: by having to arrange 4 people to be in the same place and time, the logistics are going to be naaaasty. I'm sure something will get worked out though.

Cheers Tripper

Welcome aboard!!!

Scoring would be based on total points. It's an unfair way of scoring, as those that play more matches will always have a bigger advantage than the others, but since you need to be able to get the 4 people there at the same time....that's going to be a challenge in and on itself already!!!

Though on more than one occassion I've noticed a 1v1 going on with 5-6 well-known forum regulars spectating. So it happens, you just have to find something to motivate people with ;)

I personally get annoyed if I play too much 1v1. First of all my wins-to-losses ratio is about 50-50% I'd say, but I feel I miss the team interaction to only enjoy 1v1...

(edit: creator, you're welcome too, but you were _expected_ :twisted: :twisted: ).
Also, think about the possibilities.
Who wouldn't like to see an "Ace Rimmer & Peace and Love" vs "Caranthir.pkk & weps" match or a "radiant caligula & creator" vs "Feud & Xocrates" ?
I chose names and teams rather arbitrarily, but you get the general idea ;)
creator
level3
level3

Postby creator » Fri Jul 06, 2007 2:51 pm

torig wrote:Who wouldn't like to see an "Ace Rimmer & Peace and Love" vs "Caranthir.pkk & weps" match or a "radiant caligula & creator" vs "Feud & Xocrates" ?

I wouldnt lol
Tripper
level4
level4

Postby Tripper » Fri Jul 06, 2007 3:08 pm

torig wrote: Scoring would be based on total points. It's an unfair way of scoring, as those that play more matches will always have a bigger advantage than the others, but since you need to be able to get the 4 people there at the same time....that's going to be a challenge in and on itself already!!!

Thanks for the welcome :) But what I meant was how do you decide which team wins a match? e.g.

Creator 151
Torig 150
MVPE-55
Tripper-60
Do Creator & Tripper win (1st & 4th, 91points) or Torig & MVPE (2nd & 3rd, 95 points)

(In all other cases it would be easy to tell though :idea: )

PS I'm off doing outdoorsy stuff this w/e, so won't be accepting challenges before Monday night UK time ...

Cheers Tripper
zjoere
level5
level5

Postby zjoere » Fri Jul 06, 2007 3:14 pm

I'm in

torig wrote:Who wouldn't like to see an "Ace Rimmer & Peace and Love" vs "Caranthir.pkk & weps" match or a "radiant caligula & creator" vs "Feud & Xocrates" ?

well nobody showed up as a spectator for "Jesus & Weps" vs "skynet & zjoere" (perhaps because of the preticteble outcome )
torig
level5
level5

Postby torig » Fri Jul 06, 2007 3:17 pm

Tripper wrote:
(In all other cases it would be easy to tell though :idea: )

PS I'm off doing outdoorsy stuff this w/e, so won't be accepting challenges before Monday night UK time ...

Cheers Tripper

Thanks for teaming me up with MVPE. I'm sure he'll love it ;) :twisted:
It's actually only in this particular scenario that a descision has to be taken by us all, as you point out.
I'm tempted to say the team the top player is on, has won but as the goal is to encourage team play the team score should be counted, don't you think?

@zjoere: too bad I didn't see the match. It would have gotten my attention ;)
creator
level3
level3

Postby creator » Fri Jul 06, 2007 3:19 pm

Defintly score count in my opinion!!
zjoere
level5
level5

Postby zjoere » Fri Jul 06, 2007 3:41 pm

i think score count would be the best
although highest scoring player would also work for teamwork: you decide who is gonna go for the points and let the other player only nuke installations

@torig: a short version: jesus kicked my ass and weps kicked skynet his ass (although Jesus said i played well, could have been just out of good manner but nevertheless i was flattered :wink: )
Hyperion
level5
level5

Postby Hyperion » Fri Jul 06, 2007 3:55 pm

Sure, im in :) more games the better.

It might not be that difficult to set up anyhow. 1 player may simply make a challenge as in the 1v1 ladder and organise the game date with that other player then both players can simply advertise on here saying they need a partner to take part in their game at said date/time.

Players say who they want to team up with and first player to get in the server from the 2v2 ladder list gets to play :) its actually quite simple and easy. Consistent teams might be harder to keep going so this is a better solution and again...you may not challenge or join a 2v2 game if youve been challenged by another player etc etc the same rules of the 1v1 ladder...

A: 'hey, you wanna join me to take on 'creator' and his partner?'

B: 'i can't i challenged 'creator' last and lost'

...keeping the scoring level and only being able to play with a partner who hasn't been challenged will mix up the teams considerably...not allowing for stupidly difficult teams like Ace and Radiant :roll:
Ace Rimmer
level5
level5

Postby Ace Rimmer » Fri Jul 06, 2007 4:11 pm

Well, my playing time is shortening, but if there's no negative for not playing (due to lack of time), then I'm in..

Mas Tnega
level5
level5

Postby Mas Tnega » Fri Jul 06, 2007 4:32 pm

Code: Select all

III ' M   M   III N  N !
 I    MM MM    I  NN N !
 I    M M M    I  N NN 
III   M M M   III N  N !

Return to “General”