Gun rooms

(previously 'DEVELOPER') Private forum for registered community members. To register, please visit www.prison-architect.com/register.

Moderator: NBJeff

xander
level5
level5

Re: Gun rooms

Postby xander » Thu Oct 10, 2013 1:17 am

conquestking wrote:Only if one was a gun grabbing, constitution hating, liberal, would this piss one off.

So, basically, you are the kind of idiot that believe that "liberal" is a bad word. Either that, or you left off a smiley of some kind.

xander
conquestking
level1
level1

Postby conquestking » Thu Oct 10, 2013 1:49 am

xander wrote:
conquestking wrote:Only if one was a gun grabbing, constitution hating, liberal, would this piss one off.

So, basically, you are the kind of idiot that believe that "liberal" is a bad word. Either that, or you left off a smiley of some kind.

xander

Being new to this type of interface, as you can see in my earlier post's editing errors, I did. I am actually a libertarian (which does not mean no government, also keep in mind there are shades of libertarian), due to the fact that I believe in liberty above else. The "liberals" are just as bad as the "conservatives", as in republican vs democrats. Same party, slightly different ideas on a few subjects. I am a simple man, I just want to keep my freedoms, my gun rights, and my truck (not butchered by emissions equipment).
lugaru
level3
level3

Postby lugaru » Thu Oct 10, 2013 2:07 pm

Getting back on topic... I would say it is likely.

RWBlackbird
level0

Postby RWBlackbird » Fri Oct 11, 2013 10:35 pm

They've said they want to allow you to run a resort prison or a draconian prison. Why we would want to restrict ourselves by arbitrarily cutting out features that other players could find entertaining or a used as a social commentary I don't know. This game has the potential to be more than a game, if we allow it to. Some of these may be beyond the scope of the game as they envision it, I hope the game will be much more mod-friendly in the future, and that the developers keep this in mind.

Some themes that could change the gameplay without adding that much code (the community could assist by creating the art):
A Russian Siberian prison.
A 1950s-era Georgia prison.
And if you wanted to raise awareness (as it would be very difficult to play - those conditions are extremely sadistic):
A North Korean prison.

But at the very least, I think the opportunity to run a women's prison would be very interesting (look at the popularity of Orange is the New Black). Women's prisons run a bit differently than men's, but even using a women's audio track and changing the art a little it'd be nice.
snarst
level2
level2

Postby snarst » Sat Oct 12, 2013 7:03 am

lugaru wrote:Getting back on topic... I would say it is likely.

can't wait

air805ronin wrote:That said, in response to the off topic dig on California and New York. New York Corrections officers automatically get a conceal and carry license just like their police counterparts. I grew up in California and shot guns all the time. Also, I'd argue that you've never seen pervasive gun culture like you do with gangs in California. They live by the gun and die by the gun. Its a problem. A big problem.

We might be getting a bit off topic but it's very true. 2013 the new year saw more than 7 murders the first week, that was when we were in the middle of all the cutbacks but it was getting a little ridiculous.

I live in a rural(ish) area and there are gunshots all the time, sometimes immediately followed by tires screeching. :shock: (no I'm not making that up) I just hope they're just one car races and not something else.
skeggis
level0

Postby skeggis » Tue Oct 15, 2013 5:55 am

Just found the forums and already i feel the need to comment on everything :)

Just my 2 cents to the conversation:
Anybody ever notice that scene in many police/detective tv-series or movies where the officer/detective leaves their weapon outside the interrogation room before they go in to question the suspect. Ever wonder why they do that?

For the same reason why correctional officers anywhere in the world rarely carry firearms when in direct contact with prisoners - because of the potential and very unfavorable scenario where a single guard overwhelmed by prisoner(-s) would lead to a prisoner acquiring an firearm.

The logic above for some reason doesn't seem to apply to the AK-47-wielding type of prisons still favored in large parts of the world. (That would make a great scenario for PA: all you need to build is a huge holding cell and a yard. One cook feeds them all for $1 per prisoner and anyone misbehaving gets shot immediately. Would probably be too easy...)
conquestking
level1
level1

Postby conquestking » Tue Oct 15, 2013 8:34 am

skeggis wrote:Just found the forums and already i feel the need to comment on everything :)

Just my 2 cents to the conversation:
Anybody ever notice that scene in many police/detective tv-series or movies where the officer/detective leaves their weapon outside the interrogation room before they go in to question the suspect. Ever wonder why they do that?

For the same reason why correctional officers anywhere in the world rarely carry firearms when in direct contact with prisoners - because of the potential and very unfavorable scenario where a single guard overwhelmed by prisoner(-s) would lead to a prisoner acquiring an firearm.

The logic above for some reason doesn't seem to apply to the AK-47-wielding type of prisons still favored in large parts of the world. (That would make a great scenario for PA: all you need to build is a huge holding cell and a yard. One cook feeds them all for $1 per prisoner and anyone misbehaving gets shot immediately. Would probably be too easy...)

EASY?! NOT TRUE AT ALL! THE DEAR LEADER REQUIRES A CERTAIN QUANTITY OF LABOR WHICH CORPSES CANNOT PROVIDE!
(also is reeducation camp, not death camp ;) )
MAdMaN
level4
level4

Postby MAdMaN » Tue Oct 15, 2013 10:07 am

skeggis wrote:The logic above for some reason doesn't seem to apply to the AK-47-wielding type of prisons still favored in large parts of the world.

A fully automatic machine gun is a bigger deterrent than a semi-automatic pistol due to the larger amount of damage it can do in a shorter amount of time.
killerx243
level1
level1

Postby killerx243 » Tue Oct 15, 2013 6:01 pm

I agree that guards shouldn't carry firearms while doing their normal duties but when a riot occurs should be able to go to the armory and pickup riot gear to do a bit better in helping to save the prison. I don't want to have to pay for a few guards that always have that equipment on but don't do anything else. Normal guards shouldn't be as good as the emergency riot police you can call in but should be comparable once they reach the armory and gear up.

My idea is a new tab that you can set the lethal force your guards are going to use while retaking the prison: Normal (guards go to rioting area without getting gear), Medium (available guards gather in the armory and equip armor), semi-lethal (explained below), and lethal (also explained below).

Semi-lethal: guards gear up at armory. Guards use rubber bullets and tear gas. Armed prisoners, prisoners attacking staff or civilians, and escapees are targeted first. Other prisoners can give up (don't move and lay on the floor) because they do not want to be shot. Has a low chance of killing hit targets (they miss and hit them in the face).

Lethal: guards gear up at the armory. Guards use full lethal force. Basically the same as semi-lethal but is better at subduing a rioting room and a high chance that targets are killed.

In this new tab you can set the default option (the armory would need to be researched) and can set current lethality. If medium isn't working remaining guards could be told to go back to the armory and pickup guns and then try to retake the prison.

Tower guards would be an exception, using rifles and placed outside to take down escaping prisoners.
lugaru
level3
level3

Postby lugaru » Tue Oct 15, 2013 7:14 pm

Yeah, honestly I would be a lot more thrilled about 'reduced lethality' weapons like tear gas, rubber bullets, tasers, pressure hoses and other similar weapons. I just find them cool, and sorely lacking in games where on the other hand every game has quite a few fire arms. That said the 'guard tower' does seem inevitable and even I might not be above setting a sniper up there who will shoot at any (especially max security) escaping prisoner as a last resort.
killerx243
level1
level1

Postby killerx243 » Wed Oct 16, 2013 3:35 pm

Didn't even think of tasers! Just don't start using it in the shower room :P

EDIT: An expansion to my lethal force level would be only targets that are threatening the life of another prisoner or staff would be shot, guards aim for center mass. Most prisoners would be easily subdued by a bunch of guards armed with live ammunition and lethal force would not necessarily mean a blood bath. Most targets would only need to be shot once to be neutralized (not necessarily killed) Its more of a gamble, how many prisoners will need to be shot before the rest give up.

Semi-lethal force may take multiple hits to subdue a target depending on what the guard is using.

Return to “Community Members”