Communication

(previously 'DEVELOPER') Private forum for registered community members. To register, please visit www.prison-architect.com/register.

Moderator: NBJeff

Should Introversion communicate more via..

Daily tweet
15%
Weekly Blog
37%
Daily tweet and Weekly Blog
19%
I like it the way it is
29%

Total votes: 84
knoest26
level5
level5

Communication

Postby knoest26 » Tue Oct 01, 2013 3:01 pm

I think the community would benefit from better communication with the dev's. Now to prevent everybody from complaining about me speaking for everybody I created a poll to whether the overall community would prefer a daily tweet and or weekly short blog.

Daily tweet: A short tweet about; a strange bug they encounterd today, what they worked on today, strange events today
Weekly Blog: A brief blog without a video or anything like that, just stating what they did and what they are planning on doing next week

If there is a clear result I could present this to the dev's, speaking for a majority, and tell them there is a need for more communication and the most prefered type of communication.
Last edited by knoest26 on Tue Oct 01, 2013 3:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
NeoThermic
Introversion Staff
Introversion Staff

Re: Communication

Postby NeoThermic » Tue Oct 01, 2013 3:08 pm

I have added the requested poll to this topic. However, this is done under the idea of gauging community wishes, not a promise that anything official will come of it. I.E. I'm interested to see your opinions too on a personal, not professional level. What IV do with this information is their choice :)

NeoThermic
Alex_D20
level0

Postby Alex_D20 » Tue Oct 01, 2013 3:22 pm

Daily tweet and weekly Blog!
xander
level5
level5

Postby xander » Tue Oct 01, 2013 4:13 pm

I'm old and crotchety. Twitter is for twits and the word "blog" is an abomination. As I said in the AMA topic, I would be in favor of an occasional forum post / thread for conversation with the devs. An ongoing forum AMA, if you will. Otherwise, I feel that IV are already more communicative than a lot of other developers, and I don't have a problem with the way in which they are handling things right now.

xander
knoest26
level5
level5

Postby knoest26 » Tue Oct 01, 2013 4:20 pm

xander wrote:I'm old and crotchety. Twitter is for twits and the word "blog" is an abomination.

You know what I mean, stop feeling superior.
acegamer08
level3
level3

Postby acegamer08 » Tue Oct 01, 2013 4:24 pm

knoest26 wrote:
xander wrote:I'm old and crotchety. Twitter is for twits and the word "blog" is an abomination.

lol...he can't, he is one of the many here that think they know it all, and are the gods of the forums.
xander
level5
level5

Postby xander » Tue Oct 01, 2013 4:27 pm

knoest26 wrote:

Um... (1) it was meant as a joke and (2) now that you mention it, if you didn't mean a 140 word missive via Twitter or post on the "Introversion Blog," no, I don't know what you mean. Did you bother reading beyond that sentence? Maybe I should have put a smiley in there to make it more clear?

xander
knoest26
level5
level5

Postby knoest26 » Tue Oct 01, 2013 4:34 pm

xander wrote:
knoest26 wrote:

Um... (1) it was meant as a joke and (2) now that you mention it, if you didn't mean a 140 word missive via Twitter or post on the "Introversion Blog," no, I don't know what you mean.

xander

Sorry I don't feel amused by your joke.
That's exactly what I meant, nothing big.

xander wrote:I feel that IV are already more communicative than a lot of other developers

It's not about whether they are more communicative than other developers, other developers mostly aren't claiming to make a community based game. Again, IV shouldn't read the forum 24/7 because then they won't have time for developing but there should be some feedback/respons. They posted a new poll about what they should focus on next after some people were questioning the exact same thing as right now with Alpha 13, their last 'focus on next' topic was Alpha 8.
xander
level5
level5

Postby xander » Tue Oct 01, 2013 4:40 pm

knoest26 wrote:It's not about whether they are more communicative than other developers, other developers mostly aren't claiming to make a community based game. Again, IV shouldn't read the forum 24/7 because then they won't have time for developing but there should be some feedback/respons. They posted a new poll about what they should focus on next after some people were questioning the exact same thing as right now with Alpha 13, their last 'focus on next' topic was Alpha 8.

You asked for an opinion. I stated mine. We disagree. You aren't going to convince me that IV need to be more communicative, because I like it just fine the way it is. I am not even going to try to convince you that IV shouldn't be more communicative, because I highly doubt that I would change your mind, and I really don't want to, anyway. It is not something about which I care deeply. Again, you solicited opinions. I provided one. What more do you want?

xander
knoest26
level5
level5

Postby knoest26 » Tue Oct 01, 2013 4:53 pm

xander wrote:
knoest26 wrote:It's not about whether they are more communicative than other developers, other developers mostly aren't claiming to make a community based game. Again, IV shouldn't read the forum 24/7 because then they won't have time for developing but there should be some feedback/respons. They posted a new poll about what they should focus on next after some people were questioning the exact same thing as right now with Alpha 13, their last 'focus on next' topic was Alpha 8.

You asked for an opinion. I stated mine. We disagree. You aren't going to convince me that IV need to be more communicative, because I like it just fine the way it is. I am not even going to try to convince you that IV shouldn't be more communicative, because I highly doubt that I would change your mind, and I really don't want to, anyway. It is not something about which I care deeply. Again, you solicited opinions. I provided one. What more do you want?

xander

In a debate it's a persons goal to convince the people of his opinion. That's what I want you to do, tell me why they shouldn't. If you're not even going to try it tells me that your opinion isn't good enough to be believed by others.
xander
level5
level5

Postby xander » Tue Oct 01, 2013 5:38 pm

knoest26 wrote:In a debate it's a persons goal to convince the people of his opinion. That's what I want you to do, tell me why they shouldn't. If you're not even going to try it tells me that your opinion isn't good enough to be believed by others.

I was not aware that this was a debate. I thought that you were simply soliciting opinions. I have no inclination to debate. Since I obviously misunderstood the point of this topic, I will stop posting in it. I apologize for the misunderstanding.

xander
5hifty
level4
level4

Postby 5hifty » Tue Oct 01, 2013 5:40 pm

acegamer08 wrote:.... a quick tweet or, they could have done something..

misplacedsanity wrote:it would be nice for an update via twitter or forums.

Ric666 wrote:some form of community manager would be great as a middle man

Phelzier wrote:Not angry or frustrated that 14 is not out yet, I am just anxiously waiting in anticipation

knoest26 wrote:Not saying IV should set a release date, but they should notify.

Current Sales Profits from website: $7,718,330
Average year wage of marketing/sale intern for small firm near Walton-on-Thames: $20,000

Now I honestly think that the alpha has done heaps better then they ever expected. They said after one of the expos that 2000 people was a nice number, they now have over 200,000 sales (including 6 wardens). I think it obvious that this game has a lot of support, I mean they set the price high so people wouldn't buy it, and they still brought it because, come on. its freakin' awesome. But as Uncle Ben once said "With great power, comes great responsibility". If you Google "the last of the bedroom programers" you get Introversion, but it plain that the community at large considers them, if not on par, at least in the same ball park as the big guys. The difference between IV and those guys is that they still small enough are still relatively in touch with their community. That's gotta be part of the reason why they gave us this alpha in the first place. Now we aren't asking for glossy double page spreads in PowerPlay, popups on PCGamer or anything like that. That isn't where IV's audience is. Their audience is right here. On the forums. On the internet. If they want to make it, they need to use that edge that they have over the big guys, that connection. Imagine the sales impacts, when you can point your friend (for foe :twisted: ) to a twitter from a few earlier that day, from "Chris" (actually some intern) that says "hehe. dogs now chase down prisoners! lets see you run now!" or last weeks poll for "which door sound for lock down". They benefit of their centralized development is small superficial (actual superficial like "dog color or bread" not like "should we add another floor?") would be very easily implemented and would give a great vibe of community involvement for little actual effort/cost. I meant they already have the fan base, why not put it to use? Like Chris said when they were dropping Subversion, now it on us to design the world. Well let us design it!
knoest26
level5
level5

Postby knoest26 » Tue Oct 01, 2013 5:45 pm

xander wrote:Since I obviously misunderstood the point of this topic, I will stop posting in it. I apologize for the misunderstanding.

Thank you
Elandryl
level1
level1

Postby Elandryl » Tue Oct 01, 2013 6:06 pm

Could people just realize that we don't have the power, legitimity or even need to give the devs orders? They'll communicate when they'll have something to say, period.
Kolchak
level2
level2

Postby Kolchak » Tue Oct 01, 2013 7:21 pm

Since there have been 13 Alphas (and an impressive hotfix); I think we have enough evidence to conclude that IV are serious about this game - and we know that they do listen to the community, much more than they speak to us. Therefore each minute they aren't tweeting/blogging/shouting-from-roof tops is (probably) being spent improving the Alpha. I hope that Chris spent today finalising the Alpha for release tomorrow (please), and I'm glad he didn't spend it writing a blog piece about all the features, thereby delaying the release.

As for the "just a quick tweet" desire; not too bad - but I really do like the surprise of not knowing. If, by Alpha 25, there are still no gangs, still no split timetable, still no watchtowers, still no armouries, then I would want to know that IV are listening to us, and to see on a weekly basis what they're doing to respond to our desires, but until then I genuinely enjoy wondering which mechanic I can perfect over the next month

Return to “Community Members”