Help 1080p dark area

General discussion about Defcon

Moderator: Defcon moderators

The_Doctor
level3
level3

Help 1080p dark area

Postby The_Doctor » Fri Sep 27, 2013 9:14 pm

So I got a 16/9 monitor (huge 27 inch 2560 x 1440).
Before I had a 16/10 monitor (decent 22 inch 1680 x 1050).

I learned defcon and have been playing for the past months and I got used to having a black border above russia and below sa/africa.
I even learned that it's a cheat to take bombers there. When playing as eu or russia or when going above us in arctic I got used to having that black border.
I could scroll up and have my fleet in the center of the map (almost).

Now with the new huge monitor everything looks great just that the black border has gone away almost fully.
Now my fleet in arctic is always in the top part of the screen regardless of zoom.

Is there anything I can do?
Pls help if you can. This will set my game back about a months worth. I will suck more with 1 month exp I mean. It's just hard to fight with your fleet in the top part of the screen. It just feels wrong.
Thank you.
Laika
Site Admin

Re: Help 1080p dark area

Postby Laika » Fri Sep 27, 2013 10:02 pm

That's easy, install your old monitor back.
Siсiliаn Ноundd
level5
level5

Postby Siсiliаn Ноundd » Sat Sep 28, 2013 5:46 am

The_Doctor wrote:I even learned that it's a cheat to take bombers there.

Your slow :lol: :lol:

The_Doctor wrote:So I got a 16/9 monitor (huge 27 inch 2560 x 1440).

The_Doctor wrote:Now with the new huge monitor

Stop bragging :p I have a 84 inch XBR 4K Ultra HD LED TV (Sony) witch right now is going for 24k 8) Witch btw I play defcon on.

Laika_rus wrote:That's easy, install your old monitor back.

Yep lol
The_Doctor
level3
level3

Postby The_Doctor » Sat Sep 28, 2013 8:14 am

I was hoping for a fix in the settings, like making the world bigger or changing the zoom factor etc.
The_Doctor
level3
level3

Postby The_Doctor » Sat Sep 28, 2013 8:16 am

Laika_rus wrote:That's easy, install your old monitor back.

Once you had that resolution as a nerd you never want back.
I can have 2 intellij IDEA at the same time on the screeen with perfect space for the code.

Sicilian wrote:Stop bragging :p I have a 84 inch XBR 4K Ultra HD LED TV (Sony) witch right now is going for 24k 8) Witch btw I play defcon on.

When I was a child I used to go to the porsche website and look at the 911 and want one. But I never wrote on the forums bout it :)
Siсiliаn Ноundd
level5
level5

Postby Siсiliаn Ноundd » Sat Sep 28, 2013 6:12 pm

The_Doctor wrote:When I was a child I used to go to the porsche website and look at the 911 and want one. But I never wrote on the forums bout it :)

What??
bert_the_turtle
level5
level5

Postby bert_the_turtle » Sat Sep 28, 2013 6:41 pm

What you see is a bug in the map scaling code. No setting can fix it :( Your only way of getting the old behaviour back is to play in "taller" resolutions. Are you really only playing in 1080p right now? That would mean it's not native and you get scaling blur. Try convincing your computer and defcon that 2304x1440 is a legitimate resolution and use that. Instruct your monitor to display it pixel perfect with small black borders left and right. If your monitor does not allow it, your GPU may. How to do all of that depends on your GPU, operating system and monitor, but as I understand it, it should always be possible.
Laika
Site Admin

Postby Laika » Sat Sep 28, 2013 9:03 pm

Actually, you could try editing resolution settings that are used as default ones every time you launch game. It's the first two lines of defcon/preferences.txt.
Siсiliаn Ноundd
level5
level5

Postby Siсiliаn Ноundd » Sun Sep 29, 2013 6:07 am

Laika_rus wrote:Actually, you could try editing resolution settings that are used as default ones every time you launch game. It's the first two lines of defcon/preferences.txt.

Hay when I bought Defcon awhile ago... I didn't have anything that was saving my preferences (when Version 1.6 came out) So I had to go and create my own preferences.txt. I just want to know why that it isn't programed or downloaded through the disk, I mean as much as I hate steam, it comes with it though. But the disk or the download don't have that for you. Just wondering why.

Is ...........Introversion poor? :?
Colytic
Site Admin

Postby Colytic » Sun Sep 29, 2013 8:34 am

Sicilian Hound wrote:Hay when I bought Defcon awhile ago... I didn't have anything that was saving my preferences (when Version 1.6 came out) So I had to go and create my own preferences.txt. I just want to know why that it isn't programed or downloaded through the disk, I mean as much as I hate steam, it comes with it though. But the disk or the download don't have that for you. Just wondering why.

Is ...........Introversion poor? :?

Yes, it costs $1 to bundle a preferences.txt with the game and they couldn't afford it :)
The_Doctor
level3
level3

Postby The_Doctor » Sun Sep 29, 2013 11:18 am

bert_the_turtle wrote:What you see is a bug in the map scaling code. No setting can fix it :( Your only way of getting the old behaviour back is to play in "taller" resolutions. Are you really only playing in 1080p right now? That would mean it's not native and you get scaling blur. Try convincing your computer and defcon that 2304x1440 is a legitimate resolution and use that. Instruct your monitor to display it pixel perfect with small black borders left and right. If your monitor does not allow it, your GPU may. How to do all of that depends on your GPU, operating system and monitor, but as I understand it, it should always be possible.

10x Bert I will try when I get the time. Or second option, get used to the new style.
At any rate I just hate that all the compatible fixes you made (compatible branch in svn) never made into the game.
Why they would not accept free fix idk.

I guess I have all that I could have, since you are the guy who knows the code.
I consider this thread closed.

Return to “General”