New ways to detect tunnels

(previously 'DEVELOPER') Private forum for registered community members. To register, please visit www.prison-architect.com/register.

Moderator: NBJeff

user42
level1
level1

New ways to detect tunnels

Postby user42 » Sat Sep 14, 2013 2:23 pm

Hi all!

Now rumor has it that the dogs that we are definitely going to get in A-14 (You promised!!) are going to be able to sniff out tunnels. Now here's another (not ENTIRELY serious) suggestion:

What if I could (research and) hire a geologist? After I've hired him, I can plant seismic sensors that will, within a certain radius, tell me IF - not where but IF somebody is tunneling. These, being even more useful than contraband detectors and perimeter walls, would of course come with an absolutely hideous price tag...

Cheers, Doc
christopher1006
level5
level5

Re: New ways to detect tunnels

Postby christopher1006 » Sat Sep 14, 2013 6:00 pm

Not a geologist, perhaps an upgrade requiring the foreman and some security upgrades. I like the Idea of some kind of vibration sensor though. Perhaps we could add an if/then statement to it. If sensor 1,3, or 5 go off search cell block 2.
user42
level1
level1

Postby user42 » Sat Sep 14, 2013 6:12 pm

christopher1006 wrote:If sensor 1,3, or 5 go off search cell block 2.
Whoa, hold your horses and everything else! That's powergaming right there, that doesn't work, that would upset the whole balance of the game. Remember, we want to create a game, not a prison automation software ;)

What I envisioned was more along the lines of a message: "seismic activity in the area of sensor 1, 3 and 5"
Causeless
level2
level2

Postby Causeless » Sat Sep 14, 2013 11:31 pm

I think some simple visual programming stuff would be fun. Y'know, open doors x at time y, to stop the hassle of needing guards to open them, and the such.
christopher1006
level5
level5

Postby christopher1006 » Sat Sep 14, 2013 11:39 pm

I remember during some of the first videos when Chris described the concept for the game he mentioned being able to build things that would, after a lot of time and effort, allow you to create a fully automated prison where your hand will never have to interact with it. If I remember correctly his specific example was servos and doors so that you could make certain doors open at certain times. I imagined it would apply to other things too such as the sensors so that with some thoughtful placement and reactions set for them it would be another tool that would help to create a fully automated system.
user42
level1
level1

Postby user42 » Thu Sep 19, 2013 1:51 pm

christopher1006 wrote:create a fully automated prison where your hand will never have to interact with it
Now where, pray tell, is the fun in that?
Gondlar
level1
level1

Postby Gondlar » Thu Sep 19, 2013 2:33 pm

user42 wrote:
christopher1006 wrote:create a fully automated prison where your hand will never have to interact with it
Now where, pray tell, is the fun in that?

The fun is designing & building all of it! Once its done, it probably isn't that interesting any more. Right now it is the same though: once your prison has grown to the complete area, the only thing remaining is performing a shakedown every few days and remove the tunnels.
Maya
level1
level1

Postby Maya » Thu Sep 19, 2013 3:04 pm

user42 wrote:
christopher1006 wrote:If sensor 1,3, or 5 go off search cell block 2.
Whoa, hold your horses and everything else! That's powergaming right there, that doesn't work, that would upset the whole balance of the game. Remember, we want to create a game, not a prison automation software ;)

What I envisioned was more along the lines of a message: "seismic activity in the area of sensor 1, 3 and 5"

You don't play many Simulations, do you?^^
One big Archievement for a Simulation is, if it even works without any input. The most popular example for this is Sim City, wich is one of the top simulations and still uses this concept (at least the older ones). It doesn't brake the balance either, cause most times it takes many hours or even days and hard work and concrete planning (or expensive rebuildings) to get to a point were everything is well coordinated and even then you can improve your Buildings to make it even more perfect.

But if you want some action, then don't use them. A Sandbox-Simulation normally don't tell you to use specific things you don't like, especially if it's far away from being neccessary at all.
_alphaBeta_
level4
level4

Postby _alphaBeta_ » Thu Sep 19, 2013 4:59 pm

The beauty of a simulator is that you can play it anyway you want. I like the automation possibility. Don't like the feature? Then you don't have to use it, as many players will have many different end goals.

christopher1006 wrote:I remember during some of the first videos when Chris described the concept for the game he mentioned being able to build things that would, after a lot of time and effort, allow you to create a fully automated prison where your hand will never have to interact with it. If I remember correctly his specific example was servos and doors so that you could make certain doors open at certain times. I imagined it would apply to other things too such as the sensors so that with some thoughtful placement and reactions set for them it would be another tool that would help to create a fully automated system.

You're looking for this?
_alphaBeta_ wrote:For the sake of completeness, I found the post by Chris outlining the plan forward with door automation, servos, and timers. Haven't seen much more about this, so I hope it's still in the plan. At least guards opening doors has been implemented, but let's hope it doesn't stop there.

From A Roadmap for Prison architect:
Chris wrote:Other changes coming up soon (ie partially finished) are an overhaul of the door lock system - meaning prisoners will no longer be able to just wander through doors whenever they like. Guards must now unlock doors with their keys, and this can keep the guards very busy in large prisons. Even staff members have to be let through by Guards, so there is now an incentive to use unlocked office doors in non-prisoner areas - an interesting security tradeoff. Jail-Cell doors are the exception, opening automatically when it’s lunchtime, yard time etc, but I may consider making this automation something you have to build in yourself using servos and timers eventually. And of course, your Guards drop their keys when knocked unconscious, and Prisoners will pick them up...
killerx243
level1
level1

Postby killerx243 » Thu Sep 19, 2013 8:39 pm

Wouldn't they go off during times of high activity, like when inmates are walking all at once?
christopher1006
level5
level5

Postby christopher1006 » Thu Sep 19, 2013 10:16 pm

@alphaBeta No, it was one of the first videos Chris made. I believe the one where he was telling us about how he got the idea if Prison Architect and where he wanted to go with it using what he'd thought of. I still can't find the video but there's a fair chance that I'm just not searching correctly.
_alphaBeta_
level4
level4

Postby _alphaBeta_ » Fri Sep 20, 2013 1:26 pm

christopher1006 wrote:@alphaBeta No, it was one of the first videos Chris made. I believe the one where he was telling us about how he got the idea if Prison Architect and where he wanted to go with it using what he'd thought of. I still can't find the video but there's a fair chance that I'm just not searching correctly.

Ok, understand. I'll keep an eye out for it since I'd like to see it. If you happen to find it, please come back and post.

Either way, I hope that's still in the plans.
christopher1006
level5
level5

Postby christopher1006 » Fri Sep 20, 2013 10:08 pm

I'm on an iPhone and can't run the video to check at the moment but I believe the video in this thread is the one I'm thinking of. It's about the right time period.

Return to “Community Members”