[Suggestion] Blueprint

(previously 'DEVELOPER') Private forum for registered community members. To register, please visit www.prison-architect.com/register.

Moderator: NBJeff

Si or no si?

Si
86%
No si
14%

Total votes: 28
Chewbacado
level2
level2

[Suggestion] Blueprint

Postby Chewbacado » Wed Jun 05, 2013 11:49 pm

Got this from Cruesoe In this
http://forums.introversion.co.uk/prison ... php?t=2780
thread.

Quite possibly have a different mode of game, where your plot of land is simply for planning mode up to 15x15 (?).

Would allow for quicker prison rebuilding after a shut down of a save.
craftier99
level1
level1

Postby craftier99 » Sat Jun 08, 2013 11:17 am

1+, but the area should be more like a 40x40 or 50x50 for building bigger buildings like the canteen :D
paktsardines
level5
level5

Re: [Suggestion] Blueprint

Postby paktsardines » Fri Sep 13, 2013 2:56 am

If I may, I'd like to significantly expand on blueprints.
<begin fantasy>

I would love to see 'Planning Mode' become a true, full-fledged 'Architectural Blueprint Mode' using real architectural blueprint symbols complete with an Introversion Blue® background. I think this would be freakin' awesome. This game is Prison ARCHITECT afterall!

I propose replacing the 'planning' tool (and the clone tool) with blueprints as follows:

1. Players are able to use the blueprint 'view' as much or as little as they'd like (or not at all), and can freely switch in and out of blueprint view whenever they like.
2. The 'blueprint' view would be a zoomable, toggleable overlay that would cover the whole map and consist of symbols and lines in three shades/colours (maybe as toggleable layers?). These correspond to 'Planned', 'In progress' and 'complete'.
3. The player adds their proposed walls,doors to the blueprints in much the same way they can now in planning mode, only they use symbols for doors, items, and lines for walls. These appear in the 'planned' colour.
4. Areas of the blueprint can be saved,loaded, exported, copied,pasted, rotated, flipped, mirrored, annotated and shared. This completely does away with the clone tool (and need for a clone library).
4. When the player wants to build a particular section of their prison they click the 'start work' tool [new] and drag-select a box around the blueprint area they would like built. This area then changes color to 'in progress' on the blueprint and workers get down to it.
5. As each item is placed by workers it's corresponding symbol on the blueprint changes color to 'completed'.
6. Additional items placed manually using the regular top-down view also appear on the blueprint view in the 'in progress' and then 'complete' colours as appropriate.

<end fantasy>
Last edited by paktsardines on Fri Sep 13, 2013 3:21 am, edited 1 time in total.
CommieKazie
level1
level1

Postby CommieKazie » Fri Sep 13, 2013 3:09 am

I completely agree with Paktsardines, with the following addendum:

"
paktsardines wrote:[Snip]
4. When the player wants to build a particular section of their prison they click the 'start work' tool [new] and drag-select a box around the blueprint area they would like built. This area then changes color to 'in progress' on the blueprint and workers get down to it.
[Snip]

The second "4" in your list. "and drag-select a box around..." I've come across a couple uniquely-shaped non-rectangular structures that'd object to this idea. I think either a 'lasso' tool, or maybe the system from deployments where 'structures' are highlighted would be better.

Alternatively, drag-select boxes would work fine provided they didn't happen immediately. More like the way rooms work, you could drag-select several (maybe even non-contingent) sections of the prison. When you're done you press the 'build' button which is available in this fantasy! (There'd be a cost-to-build box somewhere so you'd know just how big an investment you're about to make)

I believe this would be greatly beneficial to the planning mode. Being able to build your plans, and not have to re-drag and re-design all of your walls all over again with the 'foundations' and 'place walls' tools.
paktsardines
level5
level5

Postby paktsardines » Fri Sep 13, 2013 3:17 am

Oops, pardon my numbering. I was never good at maths.

Perhaps have a 'start work' brush as well, so the player can 'paint' areas that workers should start on. *

* Not my idea, this was suggested by someone recently as a means of addressing priorities.

But, yes, I like the idea of 'build button' and included costings.
Pjatras
level0

Postby Pjatras » Fri Sep 13, 2013 4:25 pm

I love this idea.

Perhaps this feature should be accessible through a new staff member, with his own office with a drawing table or something similar :roll:
CommieKazie
level1
level1

Postby CommieKazie » Fri Sep 13, 2013 5:01 pm

Have we come to a consensus on this idea? What!? But I thought forums were for pointless arguing and trolling. My my my...

This is the start of a revolution!

(Actually, the poll says we haven't, but the words do. So selective reading: Huzzah!)
sidster51
level1
level1

Postby sidster51 » Fri Sep 13, 2013 5:38 pm

Pjatras wrote:I love this idea.

Perhaps this feature should be accessible through a new staff member, with his own office with a drawing table or something similar :roll:

You have no idea what a foreman is do you?
paktsardines
level5
level5

Postby paktsardines » Sat Sep 14, 2013 2:36 am

Have we come to a consensus on this idea?

The poll was added with Chewbaccado's initial post, but I'm happy to steal it. ;)
Pjatras
level0

Postby Pjatras » Tue Sep 17, 2013 10:45 pm

sidster51 wrote:
Pjatras wrote:I love this idea.

You have no idea what a foreman is do you?

The guy who coordinates the workers to realize the plans of the architect :wink:

Return to “Community Members”