V for Vendetta sample in Defcon

General discussion about Defcon

Moderator: Defcon moderators

odin
level0

V for Vendetta sample in Defcon

Postby odin » Sat Feb 10, 2007 12:55 am

I just watched V for Vendetta and noticed there's a sample at timeindex 1:28:24 which is also used in Defcon, the first seconds of the scene where Finch meets V. The high pitched woman singing (humming?) OOOOOLAAAALAAAA and then in a lower key again.

Anyone else noticed this?

-Oh and hello and hi and all that
Last edited by odin on Sat Feb 10, 2007 1:07 am, edited 2 times in total.
shinygerbil
level5
level5
Location: Out, finding my own food. Also, doing the shinyBonsai Manoeuvre(tm)

Postby shinygerbil » Sat Feb 10, 2007 1:01 am

I haven't noticed this.

But you do put me in mind of another time I have heard a sample of a woman crying from a recent-ish straight-to-TV production of the Hound of the Baskervilles (this one, I think) which was also used in the game Eternal Darkness: Sanity's Requiem for the Gamecube. I have yet to find and watch the Hound again, to verify it.
Here is my signature. Make of it what you will.
BrianBlessed
level4
level4

Postby BrianBlessed » Sat Feb 10, 2007 1:28 am

Happens alot, children screaming from Rollercoaster tycoon appeared in various pieces of televion, film and advertising. Presumably game developers/advertising agencies/whatever go to a company who sell sound clips and sound effects recorded by the various audio and visual effects people.

The Wilhelm Scream is the most famous example.
KingAl
level5
level5

Postby KingAl » Sat Feb 10, 2007 1:52 am

...and that damn sound of children giggling/laughing. Everywhere from Diddy Kong Racing to Spooks.
Darksun
level5
level5

Postby Darksun » Sat Feb 10, 2007 4:41 pm

Creaking Gate and Doom Door are stock sound effects I always pick up on :/
kentuckyfried
level2
level2

Postby kentuckyfried » Tue Feb 13, 2007 5:57 am

Or that damn screeching cat bit that's in every stupid commercial and bad comedy movie.
Xarlaxas
level5
level5

Postby Xarlaxas » Tue Feb 13, 2007 12:53 pm

I've heard the door opening sound effect they used in Daggerfall in so many things recently, namely Radio 4 comedy and that Sam Neill movie of Merlin (okay, that movie's not so recent).

It's always fun hearing a sound effect from a game beinng used elsewhere, pretty sure I've heard the pig noise from Warcraft II (orcish pig farms) in TV programs as well....
Montyphy
level5
level5

Postby Montyphy » Tue Feb 13, 2007 1:48 pm

I'm fairly sure that police radio traffic gets reused a lot, either that or George Street is in a very rough neighbourhood.
Uplink help: Check out the Guide or FAQ.
Latest Uplink patch is v1.55.
Nameless_
level1
level1

Postby Nameless_ » Sat Feb 24, 2007 4:25 pm

Oh man, the stock sound I HATE more than anything is the "burst of flame" one, if ever a bomb, grenade, flamethrower, flaming vehicle, burning sofa or anything of the like occurs in a less than big-budget tv-show, you get a cheesy "SHWEASH" noise that stands out more than a lemon tree in a cabbage patch.
Black Gas
level1
level1

Postby Black Gas » Thu Apr 26, 2007 10:36 pm

that's the same sound they used for the demon launcher thingie at the end of doom2, right?

sort of a whee-OOOOSH sound, right?
Sirthomasthegreat
level3
level3

Postby Sirthomasthegreat » Thu Apr 26, 2007 11:05 pm

any crowd cheering thing is exactly the same. Ripleys believe it or not uses it, most movies do. They sell CD's of a bunch of audio tracks of this stuff, as assistant stage manager of a play I had to go throught the sounds I wanted the sound manager to use on about five CD's of nothing but sound effects. You mind usually is so much concetrated on the sound as it is the motion so the majority of the time your brain doesnt know that it is the same. But serriously, I hate the cherring crowd clip because there is this one background voice that goes WOO Whoooo WOOOO. Yeah just like that :lol:
palehorse864
level2
level2

Postby palehorse864 » Thu Jun 28, 2007 9:06 am

Not to bump a two month old thread, but I figured this would be an interesting enough tidbit.

If you watch the movie The Santa Clause, the reindeer seem to use the same sound effect as the imps from doom do when they die (The original doom, not the newer Doom 3). I have never heard that sound effect outside of those two sources though.
torig
level5
level5

Postby torig » Thu Jun 28, 2007 9:17 am

Actually, I'm impressed that anyone would recognise a sample from a game in such a tv show or commercial.
As I rarely listen to music (about 0.5-2% of my time, at most) and didn't really bother to before age 10-12 I lack that skill, entirely.
palehorse864
level2
level2

Postby palehorse864 » Thu Jun 28, 2007 11:41 am

You can learn it by practice. I didn't become interested in music until maybe around 14 or 15 at the earliest. If I listen to a favorite band of mine enough, or focus on a particular instrument, I can begin to pick up the more subtle nuances of the sound. My favorite band is Fleetwood Mac and after learning each member's specific sound, I can typically tell you who is singing a part in a song and which members are doing back up for that member (Three singers with the lead depending on whose song it is.) It took some practice, mainly by listening to a favorite song and putting my focus into only one element of that song. (John Mcvie's bass on Dreams for example, or Lindsey Buckingham's voice during the chorus when all three begin singing.) Try to pick a song with a lot of contributing elements, choose one, and focus on that. When you listen again, pick another element and focus on it. Pick a group where members and instruments give more or less equal contribution to the song, nothing where a lead guitar overpowers everything and the bass can be barely heard. Jazz is good for this as well, I just picked Fleetwood Mac because I know a good bit about them and they have three singers, a guitarist (playing electric or acoustic depending upon the song), a skilled bass player, a skilled drummer, keyboards, etc. There are a lot of individual elements that you can pick out and listen for.
wanallo
level1
level1

Postby wanallo » Thu Jun 28, 2007 1:31 pm

I think the most overused soundfile is the man falling/dying in action sequences. I think it was furst used when a trooper got flamed in Command and Conquer, and now I hear it in almost every film! Lord Of the Rings (In fact the two sequels!), Fantastic Four, Saving Private Ryan, Every Single New Star Wars Film! Just off the top of my head!

Also another one used alot is the grunting sounds from the soldiers in N64 Goldeneye, because none of the characters spoke when they were shot they made strange grunts and astonished noises like Ahh, Huut, Ergh etc. These are played alot when you see someone take a hit between their legs or fall, especially in these clip shows where a skater falls on a railing. :roll:

The problem is, because I remember them so clearly from my childhood games, when I hear them in a film they stand out and it gets irritating. Especially in the case of Star Wars and Lord Of the Rings where in battle scenes the sounds are played several times!

Return to “General”