#2 Best Tycoon game of all time Review.

(previously 'DEVELOPER') Private forum for registered community members. To register, please visit www.prison-architect.com/register.

Moderator: NBJeff

Dosedmonkey
level3
level3

#2 Best Tycoon game of all time Review.

Postby Dosedmonkey » Mon Sep 09, 2013 5:40 pm

Heres the link, Prison Architect came in position #2. Love this game, but not sure if Cities XL should be lagging that much behind this game! :lol:

http://www.gameranx.com/features/id/149 ... games/p/2/
goodvibesman
level1
level1

Re: #2 Best Tycoon game of all time Review.

Postby goodvibesman » Mon Sep 09, 2013 6:05 pm

I would hardly call Cities XL a "Tycoon" game. At best it's a simulation game where you build nice looking cities. If you want tycoon and simulation, then you should try something like Tropico or SimCity.
Dosedmonkey
level3
level3

Postby Dosedmonkey » Mon Sep 09, 2013 7:46 pm

How can you say Cities XL is not a tycoon game, then you say SimCity is a tycoon game?? They are very similar, and if anything, Cities XL has a more advanced international trading and cash system in it. :lol: :roll:

To me, a tycoon game, is any sort of construction type game, or business game involving money. Running a city is defenetly a tycoon. The president of Chile for example, previously owned one of the worlds largest airlines LAN, for example...

ty·coon (t-kn)
n.
1. A wealthy and powerful businessperson or industrialist; a magnate.
2. Used formerly as a title for a Japanese shogun.
sburymozza
level1
level1

Postby sburymozza » Mon Sep 09, 2013 7:50 pm

I love Transport Tycoon, loved that on me PS1 and now got the open TTD on my laptop hours of fun and some mods for it are great, simple but can keep playing for hours

http://www.openttd.org/en/ if you have never seen it
Ric666
level3
level3

Postby Ric666 » Tue Sep 10, 2013 9:43 am

Top 5 are pretty much spot on imo.

Bottom 5 are well....not what I would've picked. Simcity a tycoon game?! wtf...lol..Shouldn't be in any top10 list unless it's most disappointing follow up games. Number1 of that list!

Oh god....Just the mention of CitiesXL is making me feel sick. Also not a tycoon game. I still have a dirty taste in my mouth from that joke of a game :P It had potential. Failed miserably.
111none
level4
level4

Postby 111none » Tue Sep 10, 2013 12:22 pm

Simcity? The new one? I don't even need to ask...... simcity 3k and 2k? Hell yes.
goodvibesman
level1
level1

Postby goodvibesman » Tue Sep 10, 2013 1:40 pm

Dosedmonkey wrote:How can you say Cities XL is not a tycoon game, then you say SimCity is a tycoon game?? They are very similar, and if anything, Cities XL has a more advanced international trading and cash system in it. :lol: :roll:

To me, a tycoon game, is any sort of construction type game, or business game involving money. Running a city is defenetly a tycoon. The president of Chile for example, previously owned one of the worlds largest airlines LAN, for example...

ty·coon (t-kn)
n.
1. A wealthy and powerful businessperson or industrialist; a magnate.
2. Used formerly as a title for a Japanese shogun.

Maybe if you compared Cities XL to the NEW SimCity, I'd agree. However, it does not even begin to compare to SimCity 4. You're not running a city in Cities XL, you can just drag zones everywhere and it'll work out.
Ric666
level3
level3

Postby Ric666 » Tue Sep 10, 2013 2:38 pm

sburymozza wrote:I love Transport Tycoon, loved that on me PS1 and now got the open TTD on my laptop hours of fun and some mods for it are great, simple but can keep playing for hours

I've played more hours of that than I care to mention! Just a beautifully simplistic yet deeply rich game :D
sburymozza
level1
level1

Postby sburymozza » Tue Sep 10, 2013 2:55 pm

Ric666 wrote:
sburymozza wrote:I love Transport Tycoon, loved that on me PS1 and now got the open TTD on my laptop hours of fun and some mods for it are great, simple but can keep playing for hours

I've played more hours of that than I care to mention! Just a beautifully simplistic yet deeply rich game :D

It never ever gets old and the maps are massive now OpenTTD is free more and more ppl will beable to play, wish they made a new version
Ric666
level3
level3

Postby Ric666 » Wed Sep 11, 2013 10:06 am

sburymozza wrote:It never ever gets old and the maps are massive now OpenTTD is free more and more ppl will be able to play, wish they made a new version

A sequel would be very cool although if they did they would have to be careful not to lose it's charm. The old isometric map gives it a great feel. If you want it to look better there's a tonne of graphic upgrade & so many vehicle addition mods. :)
Dosedmonkey
level3
level3

Postby Dosedmonkey » Thu Sep 12, 2013 12:19 am

There is a game very similar to openTTD, called, Simutrans, its the same as OpenTTD, except it has extra features, which really improve the game, it also has unbelievable amounts of add ons, including stuff for so many different countries around the world. The whole thing is free, and community created and ran. Liturally like a sequel to Transport Tycoon.

http://www.simutrans.com

As for Cities XL being easy, just dragging zones, you obviously missed the whole idea of the game, and didn't access most of the features of the game, as you need to make multiple cities with completely different designs to do so. Your cities were probably quite pants I imagine.

Unliked Sim City 4.... got everything possible in the first city I built, and with in a few weeks play, boring.
paktsardines
level5
level5

Postby paktsardines » Thu Sep 12, 2013 12:34 am

Simutrans, really? I hope they put more effort into their game than they did the name. Sounds like some kind of 'personal massager'.
zaroba
level1
level1

Postby zaroba » Thu Sep 12, 2013 1:07 am

I'm kinda surprised cities xl made that list at all.

I remember following that game in it's development and being one of the beta testers for it. The dev's at that game were so messed up it's ridiculous. The whole time they were develoiping it they talked about how they wanted to make a game to surpass simcity 4 and where trying to get ideas, input, and knowledge from people who played the simcity series. The community responded giving clear detailed direction as to what we wanted and didn't want. The dev's responded with saying they were implementing the ideas, talking about how they were doing things to make a new and better simcity type game, posting game updates indicating this. It was supposed to be an online city builder, similar to the current simcity but multiplayer. The regions wouldn't have your cities alone, they would be massive worlds with tens of thousands of different players cities working together to trade resources etc.

Then the beta opened. Oh my god was it ridiculous. The devs spent the whole time LIEING to the community. They pretty much did the exact opposite of what everybody was asking for and saying to do. Then with each balance issue or suggestion during the beta, they would release a patch doing the exact opposite of what was being asked. One example I clearly remember was players asking for more statistics numbers to better micromanage resources, I don't think there was a single person against it. The dev's responded by removing nearly all statistical numbers. During the course of the beta the official forum got so ridiculously flooded with angry posts that it was shut down and the beta ended.

Then the game was released. Nothing had changed, they didn't fix anything. It sold a bit, then bombed big time. Not even 6 months after release the whole online thing was canned as were many other supposed updates and features the dev's had talked about. A free patch was released to make the game a purely offline single player game.

Come to think of it, now simcity is trying the whole online thing and thinking about releasing an offline patch now.
Gotta wonder why they even tried given the whole CitiesXL disaster, unless they didn't even look into it beforehand.
Ric666
level3
level3

Postby Ric666 » Thu Sep 12, 2013 9:31 am

Dosedmonkey wrote:As for Cities XL being easy, just dragging zones, you obviously missed the whole idea of the game, and didn't access most of the features of the game, as you need to make multiple cities with completely different designs to do so. Your cities were probably quite pants I imagine..

lol...So someone doesn't agree with you so you assume they couldn't play it? I was in the CitiesXL beta through to launch & built many successful cities. It was an incredibly easy game though. Not real simulation whatsoever. The game then went very sour when they decided to force people to the online thing which was a joke anyway. Removing tonnes of features from the base game. the landscaping tools were horrific because of the way the game was designed. It was one of the worst launches I've seen. It is also certainly not a tycoon game(neither is Simcity. the new one is a joke also).

I'll check out that transport game. thx for that info :)
sburymozza
level1
level1

Postby sburymozza » Thu Sep 12, 2013 11:36 am

I'll check out that transport game. thx for that info :)

Give it a chance recommend just starting with trains stay away from road, sea and air 1st and set up transport link between coal and power station short distance is key at the start, until you get the faster trains. Can be a huge game depending on the map you chose.

Hope you enjoy it.

Return to “Community Members”